Axis '41 HQ Buildup graphical aid

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

traemyn

Axis '41 HQ Buildup graphical aid

Post by traemyn »

Maximizing your HQBUs in the '41 seems to be one of most important keys to Axis success. It took me a lot of trial and error in the first few Axis turns to determine exactly where to place my panzer HQ's so that they would be in the Hex and MP limit, the following turn. Does anyone else feel like this information should be easier to figure out? :P

That got me thinking about a way to represent this visually. I imagine using the existing WiTE map as jpg and having a color for each of the FBD lines. The rail hexes that get repaired would be filled in with their respective colors. The hexes that you could place your HQ's and still be within range for HQBU would be transparent overlays of that color. There would also be some indicator for the sets of hexes that belong to each turn (number on the hexes? different shade of that color?)

Other variables that need to be considered:
1. Not everyone uses the same rail paths.
2. Not everyone conquers the same enemy hexes (or maybe an unexpected held occurs), which may affect the MPs/hexes to a railhead.

3. The further you get from turn 1, the more unpredictable things become.

Does anyone use something like this? Am I missing something that makes an aid such as this irrelevant? [:D]

Thanks!
Jajusha

RE: Axis '41 HQ Buildup graphical aid

Post by Jajusha »

Not hard to calculate it.

Repair rails with your FDB.
Simulate a "move" from your HQ to the last repaired rail hex, and watch the movement tooltip, you will have range as long as you spend 20 or less MP.
Your divisions will have to stay withing 5 squares or that position.
traemyn

Post by traemyn »

I see a few problems with doing that.

1. What if the HQ doesn't have enough points to simulate the move. Then you have to simulate as much as possible, then calculate manually the rest of the most optimum route.

2. You need to clear the enemy forces with your panzers, or clear some, to capture the territory before you can move the HQ and then attempt to simulate the move. What if you accidentally move your panzers too far so that in order for the HQ to be within 5 hexes of all your panzers, the HQ is now out of HQBU range?

I realize both of these could be worked around with very careful planning, I am just trying to think of a way to make that process easier. I think it would be easier to know exactly where I can move my HQ prior to moving my panzers, therefore I don't have to worry about #1 and #2.

Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

I use a marker on my flatscreen, like sudoku scratches. Playing German is fun in a masochistic way. I hate bumping my mouse though.
glvaca

Post by glvaca »

I think it might be a bit simpler, if you hover your mouse over a unit (an HQ in this case) you'll see SPX, this is the number of Movement points to a supply source. Deduct the converted hexes (moterized mvpts) and if that's 20 or below you should be fine. Count from the supply hex to the HQ.

Return to “The War Room”