Meet the Forumites

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wdolson

RE: Meet the Forumites

Post by wdolson »

Your quote reminds me of something from the Battle of the Philippine Sea. At one point a Hellcat pilot was heard on the radio to say something like, "I have about 30 of them surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
JSBoomer

Post by JSBoomer »

I like it, I was quoting Chesty Puller.
Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Job: Federal retiree
Residence: Cincinnati, Ohio
Family: wife, 3 children, 4 grandchildren
Education: Accounting Degree, Univ of Northern Colorado
Work: Currently, manager of small minatures company
Favorite Quote: below
Reading - God's War

I graduated three times from UNC! Small world...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep »

Job: Retired from Veterans Admin.
Residence: Ellicott City, MD
Education: BA Political Science, MA Military History
Family: Wife, son, daughter, daughter in law and Bailey (a small and evil dog)
WorK: Volunteering with the National Park Service
Quote: In War Resolution, In Defeat Defiance, In Victory Magnaminity, In Peace Goodwill -- WSC
Reading: The Franco Prussian War
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Job: ex-Computer Programmer
Residence: Tucson, AZ
Family: I'm a solitary man
Education: did some graduate work for an MS in Chemical Engineering. Have 2 BS's chemistry and chemical eng.
Work: that's a four letter word there.
Favorite Quote: Religion is the worst thing to have ever happened to the human race. It's holding up real progress and stunting the mental growth of people all over the world.
Reading: I'm too busy working on my PBEM moves to read anything besides WITP-AE forum posts.
How much does one of those female sex robots cost? I'm asking for a friend.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Congratulations! You are the second person -- after me -- to admit trying to read the Franco-Prussian War. [:)]

Well researched, I thought, but very, very dry reading.

ORIGINAL: Blacksheep

Job: Retired from Veterans Admin.
Residence: Ellicott City, MD
Education: BA Political Science, MA Military History
Family: Wife, son, daughter, daughter in law and Bailey (a small and evil dog)
WorK: Volunteering with the National Park Service
Quote: In War Resolution, In Defeat Defiance, In Victory Magnaminity, In Peace Goodwill -- WSC
Reading: The Franco Prussian War
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Awfully good to see Q-Ball posting in the AE forums today.  Seems like he's trying to get re-download the game onto his current computer.  Having a player of his caliber back will be very nice.  :)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
sprior

Post by sprior »

I suppose I should have a go at this:

Job: IT Infrastructure Architect/Network Engineer
Residence: Nottingham, England, Great Britain, The United Kingdom, Europe, The World, The Solar System
Education: 7 O levels, Royal Navy taught me how to launch SLBMs, self-taught IT.
Family: Wife MkII (the triumph of hope over experience), 3 sons, 22, 12 and the yngst will never get older, 2 daughters, 21 and 18, the last adopted as she came as a package deal with the missus. 1 grand daughter care of oldest son (we were both drunk and er....)
Work: Work for an IT services company
Reading: Seasons in the Sun by Dominic Sandbroom, Savage Continent by Keith Lowe, Tomorrow the World by John Biggins and Safegurad of the Sea by NAM Rodger. Just finished Strip Jack by Ian Rankin. Books regularly revisted Molesworth, Aubrey/Maturin series and the Sharpe series.

Now you know.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Awfully good to see Q-Ball posting in the AE forums today.  Seems like he's trying to get re-download the game onto his current computer.  Having a player of his caliber back will be very nice.  :)

Thank you for saying so! Yes, I'm bored with that other game, coming back, and I e-mailed you asking if you want to continue that one we had going. I understand completely if no, since I was the one that bailed.

As far as this is concerned, I'll play:

Job: Corporate Sales for a large Japanese equipment manufacturer (we just spent supplies to expand our factories)
Residence: Leafy Suburb of Chicago, IL
Education: BA History, MBA
Family: Wife, 2 kids 15 and 9, and 2 dogs
Reading: All the Devils are Here
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Job: Controls Engineering in the oil and gas industry for a german company
Residence: Eastern part of the Netherlands
Education: BSc
Family: Girlfriend, a son of 6 months
Reading: A Game of Thrones
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I agree, but this does sound a little bit like a man crush. [;)] [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

Job: Rental Property Owner
Residence: Lakeland, FL
Family: Single
Education: College Grad Psychology
Work: Own 25 unit apartments, 3 houses and 2 trailers
Favorite Quote: Soldiers usually win the battles and generals get the credit for them.
Reading: Fire in the Skies - finished it a few years back, but after getting back into AE I am trying to read it again.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Job: Shipper/Receiver/Jockey
Residence: Chester/Lancaster Pa
Family: Married, 2 sons 18+5 I can only take credit for the 5yr old.
Education: Only a bit of college here in biz. Some outdated computer training.
Sold a business last year, taking a step back to relax a bit, watch my son grow up.
Quote: "I can make more generals, but horses cost money."
Reading: Liberty and Tyranny

Just realized I joined this forum 6yrs ago....
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Favorite Quote: Soldiers usually win the battles and generals get the credit for them.
Reading: Fire in the Skies - finished it a few years back, but after getting back into AE I am trying to read it again.

Many moons ago I had a girlfriend who was a fast cycling serial monogamist. Her BF after me was a guy who owned a bunch of rental property. He had cultivated friendships with every Home Depot manager in the area and his Saturdays were taken up going from one Home Depot to the next picking up bargains like paint that got mixed wrong and such. He usually got his paint for around $1 a gallon. His biggest paint score happened one day when he showed up just after someone had dropped an entire pallet load of paint off a high shelf. The scooped up all the paint, put it in trash cans, and virtually gave it to him.

She owed me some money, so she worked out a deal to buy some of his paint from him at a bit more than he paid for it, and then paint my house with it for forgiveness of the debt. After her I made a rule never to be in a relationship with anyone crazier than me, but she did do a good job painting the house.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Many moons ago I had a girlfriend who was a fast cycling serial monogamist. Her BF after me was a guy who owned a bunch of rental property. He had cultivated friendships with every Home Depot manager in the area and his Saturdays were taken up going from one Home Depot to the next picking up bargains like paint that got mixed wrong and such. He usually got his paint for around $1 a gallon. His biggest paint score happened one day when he showed up just after someone had dropped an entire pallet load of paint off a high shelf. The scooped up all the paint, put it in trash cans, and virtually gave it to him.

She owed me some money, so she worked out a deal to buy some of his paint from him at a bit more than he paid for it, and then paint my house with it for forgiveness of the debt. After her I made a rule never to be in a relationship with anyone crazier than me, but she did do a good job painting the house.

Bill

LOL I wish I could get paint that cheap, I usually pay $10 a gallon if its something nobody else wants (I will re-mix it and try to do an earth tone brown). However I do shop at Home Depot quite often (Every other week I do a large order at maintenance usa) home depot is great for odd items that are needed on an emergency basis, otherwise just to expensive otherwise.

Bargin's are extremely tough to come by, I do all the work myself to save what little $$ I have. To put into perspective, my personal house I own has a $50,00 mortgage I pay $750 a month on, I collect only $900 in rent. Problem is due to terrible tenants I already spent $2,000 to upkeep the property this year alone and its not even 5 months into the year (losing money).

I some how manage like everyone else, hoping the economy goes up etc :)
I feel sorry for everyone when WITP AE II comes out, I will be neglecting my responsibilities!
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

There's gonna be an AE II?
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
sprior

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

There's gonna be an AE II?

No.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Thank you for saying so! Yes, I'm bored with that other game, coming back, and I e-mailed you asking if you want to continue that one we had going. I understand completely if no, since I was the one that bailed.

As far as this is concerned, I'll play:

Job: Corporate Sales for a large Japanese equipment manufacturer (we just spent supplies to expand our factories)
Residence: Leafy Suburb of Chicago, IL
Education: BA History, MBA
Family: Wife, 2 kids 15 and 9, and 2 dogs
Reading: All the Devils are Here

Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

My god...

After reading many of the occupations you all have or had, I feel depressingly substandard. [8|]

Job: Not saying...
Residence: Redwood City, California
Family: None whatsoever
Education: College dropout
Work: No way...
Favorite Quote: See sig below
Reading: The Siege of Leningrad - David Glantz
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

My god...

After reading many of the occupations you all have or had, I feel depressingly substandard. [8|]

Job: Not saying...
Residence: Redwood City, California
Family: None whatsoever
Education: College dropout
Work: No way...
Favorite Quote: See sig below
Reading: The Siege of Leningrad - David Glantz

Treetop64 -

In August of 1992 I was the Maintenance Chief for Charlie Company, 3rd Light Armored Vehicle Battalion. While based in 29 Palms California, we were currently on a six month deployment to Camp Schwab, Okinawa Japan. Our deployment had been very challenging and difficult. Our arrival coincided with preparation for a major command inspection - called FASMO. I have forgotten what the acronym stood for, but essentially it determined two things:

1) Were Marine Corps maintenance procedures being implemented and followed regarding the 26 LAV's forward deployed at Okinawa.

2) Were we combat ready.

The FASMO Team came from Headquarters, Marine Corps. They were serious heavy hitters, and a "no" to either of the two questions above would result in the immediate relief of the company maintenance chief (me) or my commanding officer (Captain Pollard), with a consequent impact on our respective careers.

With our arrival on Okinawa in May, we inherited a group of vehicles that had, due to political considerations, been inactive and infrequently left the concrete ramp. Live fire rarely occurred, and entailed firing into the side of a hill - no targets. After systematically going through the vehicles, I found that most had not been driven off base for a test road march for some time, that the gunners optical sights were not bore sighted with the 25mm chain gun - the sight linkages were often way out of whack; and I was not sure that all of the M242 Chain Guns would function correctly. And I had serious doubts about the reliability of the vehicles if road marched for any serious distance.

All of this did not happen overnight - and was the result of years of political restrictions (the Okinawans did not appreciate having our armored vehicles roaming about the island) and a general sense of lethargy.

And: All of this was irrelevant. It was May, the FSMO Team would arrive in mid August. The guiding thougt was "To Err was Human; To Forgive Divine - neither of which was Marine Corps Policy". Immediate action was called for.

Fortunately there were a number of positive points:

Captain Pollard was a First Class leader of men and not only backed me 100 percent, but helped to provide excellent planning and guidance for the long haul. We worked ourselves (leadership by example) and the troops hard; any time I began to feel badly about a six day work week rotation, I remembered that failure was not an option. The troops measured up and were absolutely outstanding.

And: I made sure that I did my bible lesson study first (about 30 minutes) each morning - it was hard to find someplace quiet to read and to lock out the sense of pressure and fear, but turning to God on a daily basis not only kept me on an even keel, but kept us moving in the right direction.

The very low operational tempo worked in our favor; we had 90 percent ramp time to do the work.

As maintenance records were spotty, we went with the highest (and thus most comprehensive) level of scheduled maintenance - an annual service for each vehicle.

To keep it short - it came together. We not only did well, we received a "Noteworthy" grade - one level higher than "Outstanding".

We were very tired but jubilant. I began planning the next steps to improve our vehicular reliability.

Suddenly - I was summoned (along with several other senior enlisted Marines) to see the Commanding General USMC Okinawa. And was informed that I would have to retire within six months - part of President Clinton's Reduction in Force Plan.

I felt like I had been kicked in the teeth. There was no appeal possible. I chose to retire as quickly as possible. I later asked myself, would I have still put my heart and soul into the the FASMO preparation if I had known about RIF in advance? Yes. Of course, I was a professional, surrounded by professionals who were counting on me.

Once out, and after taking off the uniform for the last time, I felt like I had lost my identity, that all that meant anything at all to me had been taken away. It was very difficult - as many on this forum have experienced.

Eventually time and experience proved me wrong. All of the training, work ethic, honor and integrity are still there. What needed to change was my way of thinking. If you had told me that driving a school bus with 40 plus children onboard would give me everything I ever hoped for, I would not have believed you. But it has. The Marine Corps / Army / Navy / Coast Guard / Airforce are outstanding finishing schools, however that time has passed in my life.

I would also like to note, that although I was long gone by the time of the 2003 Iraq war, my friend and fellow Marine, Greg Giles (Lifer) faced a far more difficult and dangerous situation as a Company Maintenance Chief, while supporting combat operations in Iraq. While I am not privy to the details, there is no doubt in my mind that he Measured Up to the standard that the Corps expects. And for that, he will always have my respect.

Treetop64, our job, regardless if - for me - a maintenance chief, construction site clean up guy (that required a significant attitude adjustment!) or bus driver is to be the best we can be. The most thorough, professional, reliable man on that team. Sadly, it does not seem to take much to stand out from one's fellow workers. You - your attitude, reliability and work ethic - determines how important your contribution is. Not the job title.

It was a gradual process for me to realize how good I had it; but it only gets better as each day goes by. I love my job - it would be more accurate to say that I am hopelessly stuck on the awesome kids that I spend my day with. Not to mention a First Class Wife, time to pursue swimming, nights free and weekends to play AE. And Beautiful Colorado Summers in the mountains, reading good books with exceptional people.

But - I had to do it a step at a time, learning to get the most out of every road bump that life put in my way. Things happen, that are beyond our control. What we do control is our response and - especially - how we think. Every challenge was the next rung in the ladder, and opened the door to to the next opportunity. Obstacles in life are there to be overcome.

I know that you are a good man. Never be ashamed about what you do in life. Never fall from a standard or expectation of exellence in all that you do.

We are blessed to have you with us.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”