How did you lose your Yamato

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cavalry Corp

How did you lose your Yamato

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I just got my new just painted Yamato in both my PBEM games - and set sail for a cruise toward a forward base.

My question is how did you lose this iconic ship?

Also what is the best use to you for her and her sister?
the performance of all Jap BB so far has been disappointing except the fast BC. BB in AE seem a little disappointing generally. the JAP CA are the number one surface asset. bearing in mind the poor performance of all BB I would rather face the slow allied bb with these ca.

Cav
BigBadWolf

RE: How did you lose your Yamato

Post by BigBadWolf »

I didn't do such thing! [:@]

Well, yet, anyway... [:D]
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Oh, I've lost Yamato many times that I can't remember all of them. But here are my top 2 losses:

1) BB vs BB combat. There was just one 16 inch shell hit and Yamato's magazine exploded. I think it was North Carolina that got lucky shot.

2) Reckless SCTF raid south of Guadalcanal in early 1943. Couple allied carriers surprised both Yamatos, both took 5 to 7 torpedo hits (allied had only TBs). I managad to disband them to level 1 port, but I had no change to get them out of there. Both ships had high system damage and very high flotation damage.
SierraJuliet

Post by SierraJuliet »

I’m still in WITP land and so far haven’t lost either one of them. Musashi hasn’t managed to get involved in too much. Yamato, though, accounted for Cornwall near Kai Island. The APDs Manley and Waters are also attributed as lost to 18.1 inch shells near Kai Island and I think that was the doing of Yamato. During the US invasion of Saipan I managed to fashion a night time blue water intercept with Yamato and Nagato in the vanguard. There was an exchange of shell fire (my two took hits but not serious enough to knock them out of the war) and Idaho is down on the sunk ships list as being taken down by Yamato shells. Still all subject to FOW but it will do for now until I learn differently at the end. Speaking of which… can’t say any more in case I let something slip that might give ideas to Todd.
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

My Yamato has bombarded several bases and was even credited with a PT boat in a surface combat event. Operational security in my current game vs. rjopel prohibits me from telling you when and where she was sunk. The other game I have has not gotten to the point where I have her.

You need to make sure you have the logistics set up to re-arm her at a forward base or you will burn a lot of fuel running back and forth to the Home Islands.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

As an Allied player, I seem to have scored alot of sub hits on Yamatos in my PBEM games.  That's generally one or two torps at a time - enough to put Yamato in the yards for awhile.  So my impression is that they are sub magnets.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I have 'yet' to lose Yamato as Japan. [:)]

However, as Allies, I sunk her once in June '42 when she did not get far enough away from a bombardment of Vava'u and then was still too close to Suva to get any LRCAP from Noumea. No torpedo hits, but just over 20 x 1000lb from my SBDs put her under. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I just got my new just painted Yamato in both my PBEM games - and set sail for a cruise toward a forward base.

My question is how did you lose this iconic ship?

I was playing Allies vs the AI in the original WitP and one of the British CVs with a single Swordfish squadron blundered in 1 hex from the Yamato. The RN TF launched two waves of stringbags. The second wave returned to the carrier without finding anything because the first wave sank it.

That was probably one of the luckiest battles I ever fought in any of the WitP family games.
Also what is the best use to you for her and her sister?
the performance of all Jap BB so far has been disappointing except the fast BC. BB in AE seem a little disappointing generally. the JAP CA are the number one surface asset. bearing in mind the poor performance of all BB I would rather face the slow allied bb with these ca.

Cav

The Japanese didn't use any of the BBs except the Kongos until their back was against the wall. Big gun ships were pretty much obsolete by late 1941 except for bombardment. The Kongos had the speed to be used like super cruisers and were more expendable than the Yamatos which were too expensive to lose. The rest of the BB fleet was too slow to operate safely anywhere near Allied carriers, so they spent most of the war rusting in the SRA. It's also a reason the 3rd Yamato was changed to a carrier during construction and the 4th was canceled to make room for carriers.

American BBs are almost as useless. The newer ones were fast enough to operate with the carriers, but only two US fast BBs ever got a chance to shoot at an enemy ships in anger and that was only because there were virtually no cruisers left in service. The only other time US BBs got to shoot at enemy ships was a Surgio Strait where the old BBs got to finish off the Southern Force which had been pretty much mauled to death already by all the other surface assets in the area.

The Iowas for all their power and advanced systems were essentially glorified flak platforms. They would have been more useful if the 16 inch turrets were pulled and more AA guns put in their place. Two Iowas were launched incomplete and never finished to make room for more Essex class carriers. (Though the Iowas could have had their moment in the sun at Leyte Gulf if they had been in the right place at the right time.)

Even today people get worked up about the power of BBs and they do look cool and are the epitome of naval surface combat, make a big boom when they fire etc., but air trumped them. By the end of 1941, it was pretty clear to anyone who had any ounce of realism that the day of the BB was finished just as thoroughly as the days of the ship of the line were finished. They took up a huge complement of men, cost a tremendous amount to build, and were really only suited to secondary roles by that time.

The WitP games are essentially air centric games. It isn't so much the game engine, but the type of combat that was the decisive element in naval combat by the time period of the game. War Plan Orange is based on the same engine, but takes place in the 1920s. There the big guns are the deciding factors. Some gamers who are fans of the "gun club" like that game a fair bit.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Exactly the fact that they are obsolete makes them up to date [;)]

It is acceptable to use a BB, so I use them. When your landing will be met by a couple of my BBs, you'll find out how obsolete those old battlewagons are [8D]

Once sunk by my Allied CVs, never lost it as Japanese, not even in the smaller scenarios.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I am planning to use BBs aggresively, understanding that I won't be forced to do Hara-Kiri if Yamato get sunk due to my reckless actions
koniu

Post by koniu »

In Guadalcanal scenario vs Docup i have send Yamato and two other BB to Kami run on enemy CV Task Force. They get trough Cruiser screen in night battle like they where cutting butter with hot knife, and later that nigh they sunk allied CV.

Of course on morning allied planes from another allied CV sunk Yamato but BB for CV and few cruisers, especially in small scenario was good trade.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

As an Allied player, I seem to have scored alot of sub hits on Yamatos in my PBEM games.  That's generally one or two torps at a time - enough to put Yamato in the yards for awhile.  So my impression is that they are sub magnets.

Dan sunk my Yamato once with about 30-35 1,000lb hits near Pt. Blair.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ma-ma-ma-ma-myyyy Yamato!!!!

Be careful with her in this game. 3-4 torpedo hits is all it takes to cripple and/or sink her.

Havn't lost my Yamato lately......but i did lose Lexington to a sub for the 14th time. And it was only two hits!!!!! OY!
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Interesting read, I thought the consensus was not to build them at all.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I was 16, she was...older...

Oh, the Yamato...haven't lost that yet, but I hear you never forget the first time.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Interesting read, I thought the consensus was not to build them at all.

where's the fun in that?
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Actually, surface combat is so juiced up in this game that I think it is worth it for the Japanese player to build them. In real life, no.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

really the idea of the ultimate naval weapon was still in debate in 1941

japan (and everyone else) had no choice but to develop all of the weapon types

battleships - carriers - submarines - LBA

and then once the best system was evident, to emphasize their production towards that system

and that is basically what happened...

...now if they completed shinano and kii as battleships...that would have been stupid [:)]
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
I was 16, she was...older...

Oh, the Yamato...haven't lost that yet, but I hear you never forget the first time.

wdolson had good technical analysis, but SqzMyLemon has won the thread.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

He definitely gets the prize for today's best use of humor in a thread. [:)]

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “The War Room”