France 1940 Big scenario V1.0

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

soloje1

France 1940 Big scenario V1.0

Post by soloje1 »

Hi guys
After 1 year of work I cam suggest you my senario about Battle of France

http://documents.cigognes.net/TOAW/France1940UK.rar

Sorry for my english, mine is not perfect
THe contents

The base of this scenario is the Battle of France starting 10 may1940

THE MAP
The scale is 1 hexagone = 2.5 km. The size is big enough as the map start from the North around Antwerp to the south of Paris, and from the west Normandy to the eats of Strasbourg.
More than 800 town and village are on map, 800 names limit of the game is reached.
I used a 1946 Map of France to create the game map and to model the main roads, railroads, rivers, canal, forest,…. I use also Googlemap for the relief.

1 turn = 12 hours

OOB
I used all possible sources about historical OOB, books and internet to get an accurate OOB for each country. Divisions are build with the historical table of equipment of The French, Belgian , UK and German armies. I’m sorry, no Nederland troops as there are already lots of units on the map.

Each country force is built with ground and air units. No navy as there is n o real impact of boats during this historical battle, except during Dunker evacuation..
Most of the division/brigade is built following this structure

1 HQ
3 Regiments
1 AT battalion
1 Recon battalion
1 engineer battalion
1 Artillery battalion

Each particularity following the division type is respected or historical situation of the division when known. Of course there are still certainly lot of mistake about the table of equipment of each division as it’s very difficult to know the exact situation that for each one.
Some rules are used to reduce material availability for French divisions of « reserve type B » poorly equipped in comparison of theory..

Units description
The different colors of TOAW III are used to display the army belonging of each unit on map, same background and draw color. For instance all units of the French 7th army have the same background color and same draw color.
Variant of the same color are used for each country, blue variant for French forces, yellow for Belgium forces, brown for UK forces and grey for German forces. Except all SS unit are black
• Proficiency of each unit is linked to the historical (and theory) value of the division following their status, active, reserve A, reserve B, wave 1 wave 2, etc…
• The efficiency of allied supply is lower than the German one, to simulate the air superiority of German Luftwaffe and the better organization of Wermacht.
• Proficiency of allied forces are lower than German to simulate the lack of communication.
• Some Germans divisions are Veteran as they fought during Poland campaign.
• The .EQP file has been modified to tweak it with 1940 unit and to correct some mistake. So you have to install it for the game following the usual way
C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\Graphics\France1940\

On the map
All unit are placed on map as they were the 10 may 1940, this more or less accurate depends on the information available regarding that..

Main internet sources
http://www.atf40.fr/ATF40/

http://france1940.free.fr/fr_index.html

http://niehorster.orbat.com/500_eto/_40-05_france.html

http://www.lignemaginot.com/menu12/indexfr.htm

EVENT
The invasion of biggest towns create a flow of civil on the road penalizing allied troops
The fall of Bruxelle does the surrender Belgium army

This scenario can be played against IA but of course not sure that the IA cam manage easily so many units on the map

all suggestions are welcome to improve this scenario

Silvanski

RE: France 1940 Big scenario V1.0

Post by Silvanski »

Congratulations on this ambitious undertaking
At first sight it looks nicely done. I'd suggest some clean-up on the map... I notice several city names being misspelled... In Belgium I miss Fort Eben Emael, also miss the few Fairey Battles the Belgian air force had... Playable against the PO, that is nice...
The TOAW Redux Dude
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Soloje1,

I like the look of it as well. I now need to to persuade my mate to take on another scenario. [:)]

You might want to add a bmp to the briefing background and remodel the briefing so that it begins with the standard format header. Take a look at the Ardennes 1944 briefing by Rob Kunz or the Autumn Fog briefing by Steve Sill. It's only a small thing but it gives a professional look to the scenario.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
soloje1

Post by soloje1 »

Thanks for your comments, new version online

Fort Eben Emael is on map , south of Maastrich.
Perhaps some belgium name seems not good because there are 2 ways to writte towns name the french one for Wallon and the flemish one.
anyway it s possible there are some typo, could give some if you have noted some.

anyway a new version 1.1 is available following your remarks and some from others forums.

The fall of Bruxelle doesn't linked anymore with the fall of Belgiul army.
In place the fall of Anvers, Bruxelle and the 4 strategical point in Paris give the victory to the German side. Allied have some delay to counter attack before this deadly end.
Rail repair and damaged are improved, Elmer can't manage that well.
some german forces are repositioned to avoid stupid attack by Elmer form Maginot line
Small modification on map
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

NICE !!

I got the scenario, but not the .eqp file ??
soloje1

Post by soloje1 »

Normaly all is in the .rar file and uncompress in the good folder
you have several folders in the .rar file, .eqp is under Graphics ones
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ja, I did it wrong the first time, have it now, thanks!

The German Air Units off map on the west side have no supply points, and I noticed that most of Germany starts under Allied control. I opened the scenario in the editor and ran the Auto Hex Conversion, but it didn't work (all hexes not occupied by German units were converted to Allied control). I don't know why, I've never seen anything like that happen.

We could debate that many of the German units should start as Veteran status, as they had been thru operations in Austria, Czechoslavakia, and Poland.
soloje1

Post by soloje1 »

Thanks for your comments

agree I have to add supply on outside map airfield, I miss that :)
Like you, I tried to use the automatic hex conversion and have the same result than you ; I don't know why as you.
So as there are lot of hexagons, I just checked main hexagon like road, rail road, ... it's a very boring job. But I agree that will be better but I don't think that to have some French hexagons on land hexagons change the game ?
About veteran, All division used during Polish campaign are veterans. It's possible that I have missed some ? But I don't think division used in Austria, Czechoslavakia should be veteran units.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

... some French hexagons on land hexagons change the game ?

No change to the game, its just weird.
All division used during Polish campaign are veterans.

Ok, I didn't check all of them so I made the mistake, sorry !
soloje1

Post by soloje1 »

Don't sorry your welcome :)
soloje1

Post by soloje1 »

New update with following modifications

Map adjustment, as ownership for German forces and others
Reduction of damage on rail road following german advance, few now, Note that just engineer unit if army Korps and PZ division have rail uni to repair it.
Drastic reduction of replacement of unit, 0.1 % in place of 1% set previously.
New force for uk army to manage better the reinforcement at Cherbourg town in Normandy
add screen for the scenario presentation as requested above :)
the link at the top is updated
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

Did anyone save this?

Return to “Scenario Design”