Boyington to VMF ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sdhundt

Boyington to VMF ?

Post by sdhundt »

Currently MAJ. Boyington is assigned to the Army so I can't assign him to any Marine fighter units. How do I change him to a Marine so he can fight with the Devil-Dog's ? Thanks...
Blackhorse

RE: Boyington to VMF ?

Post by Blackhorse »

In the game editor, Boyington (leader 16304), is listed as a Marine. (Stock WitP-AE, Scenario #1). If you release him from the Flying Tigers and send him to general reserve he should be able to join a USMC squadron. I have never tested this, tho.
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
awadley

Post by awadley »

I inquired about this quite some time ago, and was told by one of the developers told me that he is Army because of the Flying Tigers and there is no way to change nationalities. Sorry thats it.

Gunner USMCR
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

As far as the pilot goes, I think that because he's an army pilot, you won't be able to use him as a marine pilot but you can use the leader in a marine group but no pilot entry for the unit he's assigned to. This is one of the strange database things due to the split entries that seem to interlink but in actuality don't. In the database he's defined as an army pilot attached to the AVG but is linked to a marine leader entry. The pilot entry can become an army unit leader though so you'd have an army leader/pilot while in use but would disappear when releaved but still have a marine leader entry.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

In scenario 2, I released him to the reserve and I believe he came back with a promotion as the non flying commander of another army unit. I will check on that.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I´m semi sure I have him in a USMC unit? I´ll check right away!

EDIT: He is indeed in VMF-222!
sdhundt

Post by sdhundt »

I have looked into this for several more hours and I couldn't change him into a Marine. Is he a Marine in your game (JocMeister), and if so how do you change him. I'm playing SC#2 and it's Feb. 1943. I hope he isn't stuck in an Army squadron,.....POOR PAPPY, what a waste...The Black Sheep are waiting for you :(
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Is there more than one? Similar to the Many Macs?
The Moose
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

One of the original issues with pilots was that groups needed to have pilots of the same nationality. Differences caused bugs, changing of sides, weird occurrences (as distinct from bugs[:D]), etc.
So if a pilot is one service/nationality, he should be available in a similar group. This usually means either his 'nationality' changes or he gets dropped to the reserve...usually the first if I recall.
Michael
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Nope. Only one Boyington.

And there are Bi-Macs, not Many Macs. [:)]

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Is there more than one? Similar to the Many Macs?

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

IIRC there are more Boyingtons, but with different first names. [:D]
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

We are both correct.

There is only one Boyington in the leader database. However, the pilot semi-random name generator will spit out additional Boyingtons.
ORIGINAL: castor troy

IIRC there are more Boyingtons, but with different first names. [:D]

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

We are both correct.

There is only one Boyington in the leader database. However, the pilot semi-random name generator will spit out additional Boyingtons.

I thought so, but was afraid to say so. The Men in White Coats are everywhere! [:)]

(Where can you buy a giant butterfly net these days? They were everywhere in TV and movies when I was a kid. Now? Nothing. Maybe produciton moved offshore . . .)
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I´m pretty sure "my" Boyington is the one from AVG. He has too high skills to be a trained!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”