Veteran players are cowards?

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adsoul64

Veteran players are cowards?

Post by adsoul64 »

Yes, when you’re not renown life is hard if you’re looking around for an opponent. All vet players play a lot… against vet players only. If you’re rookie… little or no chance at all. But I’m indomitable and I’ll give one more try!
I’m looking for a Japanese player, better if veteran, for scenario 1. I’m a veteran of WitP1, this going to be only my second PBEM with AE, the first one was ended by my opponent. I guess I’ll be able to be a real challenger.
My Time Zone’s CET, I can do one turn a day, on evenings, so I hope we won’t overlap. My proposed settings are:
Scenario 1:
Fog of War ON
Adv. Weather Effects open to discuss
Allied Damage Control ON
Player Def. Upgrade open to discuss
Historical First Turn OFF
Dec. 7th Surprise ON
Reliable USN Torpedoes OFF
Realistic R&D open to discuss
No unit withdrawals OFF
Reinforcement Allied/Jap +/- 15 days
Combat Reports ON
Auto Sub Ops OFF
TF/plane move radius on
Set All Facilities to expand at start OFF
Auto upgrade ships and air group OFF
Accept air and ground replacement OFF
Combat animations ON
Show Combat Summaries ON
Show clouds ON
Turn Cycle 1

HR:
- you must pay for restricted units crossing national borders;
- No 4E bombers below 10K ft (naval attacks only)
- invasions only in base/dot hexes
- no invasions with fragmented units.

Come on, vets, I want a real test [:D]
USSAmerica

RE: Veteran players are cowards?

Post by USSAmerica »

I would suggest that you are not going about the process of finding a reliable, mature, experienced opponent in the best manner. Usually, to attract a reliable, mature, experienced opponent, you would want to post in a reliable, mature manner.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

+1
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

This is the option #1. The option #2 is that you're a guy willing to play and with some sense of sarcasm. Are you this kind of guy?
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

ORIGINAL: USS America

I would suggest that you are not going about the process of finding a reliable, mature, experienced opponent in the best manner. Usually, to attract a reliable, mature, experienced opponent, you would want to post in a reliable, mature manner.

It's called humor.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It's not working.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

sadly right
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Try again, and just state what your campaign history, then what type of opponent you seek. But above all be friendly, and show humility, and you will get a good partner. [;)]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Already tried pal but it's not worked so I'm desperate. Other advices? [&:]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

If you want a 'real' test, then try Scenario 2 as this give Japan a few more 'toys' and better economics. The Allies start with more LCUs needing time to fill out their TO&E via Replacements. Better yet, go with the modified Pwhex files that impose stacking limits.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswi ... limit-data

If you think your that good, then try out the recently modified Scenario 2 that use the Dababes Mod as its basis.

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswi ... aironbabes
[center]Image[/center]
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

"Come on, vets, I want a real test [:D]". This suggests that the "challange" was issued in a light-hearted manner..., and that some of the replies were a bit overwrought. I think his real problem is that most of the "vets" have waded through the process of finding a good and challenging set of opponents and are now engaged in long-term struggles with them.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Check out this multi player game. tm.asp?m=3080726

You will met nice guys, who will help you build your network of players.

Also, no one here is a coward. And probably many have taken bullets in the past. When I was ready to find a competitive opponent i would make a title "Looking for the Big Dog"
Then I would in the body state "to be the best I want to play the best". This type of commentary strokes the ego of the experienced player to where he will enjoy whipping you and teaching you at the same time.

I suggest you challenge IKE99. He would enjoy your attitude. Not sure you could handle his propaganda. I hope your not a quitter. IK99 hates quitters.

Another Idea is ElCid is a 5 star player looking for help w/ his RHS mod. If up to play japan you would have an opportunity t really get in some good instruction.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

"Come on, vets, I want a real test [:D]". This suggests that the "challange" was issued in a light-hearted manner..., and that some of the replies were a bit overwrought. I think his real problem is that most of the "vets" have waded through the process of finding a good and challenging set of opponents and are now engaged in long-term struggles with them.

Yeah, even the thread itself was started with a laughing icon.

bigred's idea is a good one about answering to join into one of the multiplayer games that periodically post for a player. Through just knowing one of the great guys here on the forum I stepped into an ongoing multiplayer game as a replacement and it's been terrific fun and new friendships. Plus, when I was ready to post for a new full one on one game I first offered it to my multiplayer mates and one of them took me up on it.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

Try again, and just state what your campaign history, then what type of opponent you seek. But above all be friendly, and show humility, and you will get a good partner. [;)]

Love the new RA ART Sir!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

ORIGINAL: adsoul64

Already tried pal but it's not worked so I'm desperate. Other advices? [&:]

1. Most players who are in games are fully committed so there's part of your problem.
2. You are in that bind of need to become 'known' on the forum, but can't get a game because you are not known - with only 30 posts you come across as a new player who is getting 'above himself'.
3. The tone - accepted it was intended to be humorous - came across to me as rather like a certain multi- nicknamed individual who pops up every now and then with very few posts and a lot of braggadocio.

This is a long term commitment- my current opponents and I have been playing for several years - your approach came across like the guy who walaks into a pub and asks who wants a fight.....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

First, it looks like I coud have hurt somebody. I wasn’t meant to do so. I tend to forget that my sense of humour could be different than anybody else’s. I apologize for this, gentlemen.

Second, I thank all of you guys for your advices.

Roger’s assertions are very punctual and I agree with him about points 1 and 2. About the point 3… yes, you’re right, once again. I came in this forum with the nick Adso in 2004. I’ve played UV and WitP a lot, my longest campaign of WitP came well into 1944 before my opponent and agree to leave the game. I’m pointing out this because I would like make clear that I’m not an occasional player.

Then, I haven’t played for several years but recently I’ve been able to spare some time for the old hobby, so here we go. Obviously, when I’ve bought WitPAE and Empires in Arms, I had forgotten everything about my old account, so I’ve created a new one. In the mean time I’ve recovered my old account for what it's worth.

Presently, I’m playing EiA PBEM and I had started an AE full-campaign vs. hkbhsi – who is much more better known than me – but he’s been forced to leave after a couple of weeks for very good reasons.

Last point, I know very well the degree of commitment involved with PBEM indeed I can afford just one Camapign, nothing more. But I’m looking for a long long game going till the end. So, here I’m!

Alessandro
aqui

Post by aqui »

Yes...I have an advice to Soul64. don't apologize. stop apologize. it's not the case. your invitation was ok. a laugh never killed anybody. you are portion of thy is community and you do right to express your sense of humour.
who is a vet player? you and a lot of people that has a low post rank. to post here is like to speak about a sport in a sport bar. it doesn't make you stronger in that sport
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

Well, if I'm looking for an opponent for a game that last two or three years, you can bet I'm going to ignore all requests that starts with [:D]

That pretty much tells me that the player is not taking this serious. I've had enough games where other player have just vanished...
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

What if the [:D] is in the middle of a sentence?
I would be more concerned if the was used. [:'(]
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

Why are you picking on Poultry Lad and myself. No comments about, "C'mon MDs I want a real test" of "C'mon JDs I want a real test". Why are veterinarians the whipping boys of professionals on this forum and elsewhere?
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Return to “Opponents Wanted”