OT: Stereotypes about Germans in the US

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

RE: OT: Stereotypes about Germans in the US

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: USS America

ORIGINAL: Historiker

Finnish is supposed to be one of the most difficult languages in the world.

I find Spanish rather easy, but the other romanic languages propably make it very easy to understand...

Back to topic:
What do you think a 5 to 10 second video intro should include to play with the stereotypes?
Right now I think about:
- Filling an enormous glass of beer
- typical German sausages
- something that graphically shows the german wish for perfection
- something mentioning the german technology

A black Porsche 911 turbo Cab zooming around a curve at high speed. [8D]

I looked for a good YouTube of Dieter of "Sprockets" fame (Mike Myers), but I couldn't find just the right one. And most folks in Europe can't see YouTube anyway.

"Touch my monkey!"[;)]

"I find you loathsome and boring. Und now-ve DANCE!" [:D]

What about Hans and Franz? Or are they Austrian?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

A black Porsche 911 turbo Cab zooming around a curve at high speed. [8D]

I looked for a good YouTube of Dieter of "Sprockets" fame (Mike Myers), but I couldn't find just the right one. And most folks in Europe can't see YouTube anyway.

"Touch my monkey!"[;)]

What about Hans and Franz? Or are they Austrian?

Austrian! "And we're here to PUMP... YOU UP!!!"
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Does that make a difference?

"It will always be one of the great mysteries how the Austrians managed to achieve that Hitler is seen as a German and Mozart as an Austrian"
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Ah - it's about Arnold Schwarzenegger, who calls himself Austrian. Hans and Franz were characters played on Saturday Night Live (a Saturday late night comedy-skit show), who claimed to be Arnold's cousin whom he sent to America to get everybody PUMPED UP! [:D]

Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon IIRC.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

There's one video with Dana Carvey as Jimmy Stewart, reading his poetry. Disturbing. But Dieter liked it. The monkey, not so much.
The Moose
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

"It will always be one of the great mysteries how the Austrians managed to achieve that Hitler is seen as a German and Mozart as an Austrian"

[:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

There's one video with Dana Carvey as Jimmy Stewart, reading his poetry. Disturbing. But Dieter liked it. The monkey, not so much.
German poetry and monkeys? [shudders...]
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

Because Germans might be good at a lot of things, but they've always struggled with PR, as illustrated in the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: xmas

Stereotypes about Europeans ... but you are sure only Stereotypes ?

Warspite1

That is a great T-shirt.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

[:D]

Mozart was born in Salzburg as child of a German father and an Austrian mother.

He most probably was neither Austrian nor German, he was a citizen of the prince-bishopric Salzburg (wow, ugly word, I translated from "Fürsterzbistum")
and subordinate to Archbishop Sigismund, Count of Schattenbach.

Only reason why he is so often dubbed as Austrian is that Salzburg now is Austrian territory. And I see no reason to convince anybody otherwise. [:D]

Hitler interestingly varied between acceptance and denial of his Austrian roots himself.
Weird that one of the cruellest mass murderers of modern history began his career by being thrown out of Austrian art classes...
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

So he was was the son of a German mother and a German father.

Born 1756, Austria was Germany, as much as Bavaria was. You should be aware that the Austrians even rueld it for most of the time.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Born 1756, Austria was Germany, as much as Bavaria was. You should be aware that the Austrians even rueld it for most of the time.

Damnit you´re right, Austrian-Preussian dualism or how it was called. [8|]
There goes my historical expertise.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Damnit you´re right, Austrian-Preussian dualism or how it was called. [8|]
There goes my historical expertise.
One could argue that even this is wrong [:D]

The dualism begins when Prussia establishes itself as major power. Friedrich II. did this, starting with 1740 when he invaded Austria's Silesia.
BUT 1756 was the beginning of the 7 years war, in which Prussia almost was crushed. So the dualism might already have existed then, but it really started to exist after both sides had settled, which was not before 1763.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Just in case Historiker is still interested in impressions of Germany in the USA.

My sense is that Americans hold Germans and Germany in high esteem.  I recall historian Stephen Ambrose writing in one of his WWII histories (perhaps it was Citizen Soldier or D-Day) that American soldiers felt very comfortable with the German people - that GIs felt that Germans were like Americans in many ways.  I think that sentiment is prevalent in the USA today.

My father, who was a GI in WWII, feels the same way.  He likes Germans and doesn't have any animosity towards the country.  Of course, he would separate out his feelings for the Nazis.  But while he harbors resentment for the Japanese, he doesn't for Germany.

I remember reading in an American newspaper some 15 or 20 years ago that some town in Germany had erected a monument that acknolwedged the service of the German soldier in WWII while acknowledging that his leaders were flawed.  That was tastefully and admirably done.  In similar fashion, my wife visited Berlin three years ago and was moved by the tribute to the city's Jews who suffered in WWII.  Apparently, there is a plaque or something similar placed in the pavement in front of every residence in which a Jewish person had lived and was evicted during those dark days.

I think there is also a general feeling that Germany is a strong political ally and quite likely would be of aid if a need arose.  This sentiment might be illustrated in something I read shortly after the terrorist attacks 9/11/2001.  An American Navy ship was on patrol somewhere in the Atlantic.  A German naval vessel requested permission to pass close alongside.  When permission was granted, the German ship steamed by with the crew on deck at attention.  A very moving expression of condolences.

In an increasingly crazy world, America holds a great many nations in high esteem.  Of course, Britain and all the "Commonwealth Countries" would be first on this list due to shared cultures and close ties, but Germany (and Japan, which is pretty remarkable) would also rank very high.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Thank you.
I witnessed how good the image of Germany is in the USA myself.

Unfortunately, I judge many of your impressions wrong, but I may be pessimistic. It's propably for good reasons I want to emigrate...

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

German poetry and monkeys? [shudders...]

I think it was Jimmy Stewart's poetry. Just as scary.

Last weekend SNL, in the Weekend Update faux-news segemnt, had a joke from real life. Apparently a German cow recently escaped from a slaughterhouse and roamed free for about three months before being caught. A national news event. Seth Meyers, in a thick German accent, announced the movie title: "The Cow Which Failed to Follow the RULES!" [:'(]
The Moose
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Why cant we just be proud about Mozart without nitpicking who "owns" him ?

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

The only thing I could be proud of is to play some of his masterpieces in an equally masterfull way (which I can't). But the fact that he's German isn't my achievement.

Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

The only thing I could be proud of is to play some of his masterpieces in an equally masterfull way (which I can't). But the fact that he's German isn't my achievement.
Dont twist my words hun [:-]

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Dont twist my words hun [:-]
What do you want, bloody Kraut?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”