On topic-Masterpiece Theater

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

On topic-Masterpiece Theater

Post by crsutton »

My wife and I watched "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" on Masterpiece Theater this past Sunday night. (Yes, I just adore liberal media) Two of the characters in the movie were brother and sister orphans. When asked where they were from they said Trincomalee. My wife was totally blown away when I immediately told her where Trincomalee was.

Now, I dare anyone to say that AE has been a total waste of the my life for the past two years. [&o]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
vettim89

RE: On topic-Masterpiece Theater

Post by vettim89 »

My daughter actually asked me where Manila was once. I open the game and showed here. She thought it was cool because it was more than a point on a map or globe. The game allowed her to see the spatial relationships much better.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton
Now, I dare anyone to say that AE has been a total waste of the my life for the past two years. [&o]

AE has been a total waste of your life for the past two years. [:'(]

Mine too. [:D]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I also mentioned to her that I am conducting long range search patrols for the enemy out of the base and that it is just about to go to level nine air field. She just sighed and went back to watching "Edwin Drood." Probably gave her just a little bit too much information there......
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Only 2 years?

What about WitP, and before that UV, and before that Pac War...and before that...ETC.

I was acing history tests and geography because of my gaming.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

My wife and I were watching an episode recently of Lonely Planet, and I told my wife where Geelong was (very similar circumstances to the OP)..

Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

It's fun to be able to do that, isn't it? My wife was doing a crossword puzzle not long ago and I heard her mutter "What is the capital of Fiji?" I tossed back "Suva" so quickly that she thought I was just making something up (I have been known to do this). But she plugged it in and it fit. She did not exactly swoon in admiration but I think she was impressed. Well, a little bit, anyway.

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

i've always loved Masterpiece Theater, except that i really can't stand Dickens.

a few of its mini-series were set in WWII - Piece of Cake (RAF) & Danger UXB (Royal Engineers). & there's also Foyle's War from PBS Mystery!, which is now under the Masterpiece umbrella.

lately, the Downton Abbey series featured some WWI combat, & the house was used as a convalescent hospital.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

My wife has gotten into the habit of asking "Where is ____________?" or "What is _________?" all while extending her hand and immediately supplementing the question with "The short version, please." Sigh.

Then again, she seems genuinely interested when I tell her about such and such happening in the game, and I have caught her asking more and more historical questions, so I think I'm corrupting her. For example, she insisted on watching all of BoB and The Pacific with me and wants to watch Letters from Iwo Jima.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

My SO long ago quit being impressed at my esoteric knowledge of geography. She knows that showing anything just encourages me. [:D]

I was on Facebook one day (I only joined because I have one friend who will only communicate via Facebook) and someone started chatting me I didn't recognize. I went to her profile and noticed she was from Manado. She was quite impressed I knew where it was. However, I don't really have an interest in being chatted up by teenagers in Indonesia. After that I figured out how to hide my identity on Facebook better.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

I once had a co worker and she had a flicky accent. I asked her where she is from and she said Kiev. I said something like ah Ukraine sweet. She was completly stunned that I knew where Kiev is and so was EVERYONE around !!!

Knowing where Kiev lies is some kind of basic knowledge in my eyes. I could understand such a reaction if she had said something like Zythomyr or Kerch....but Kiev ???? *mutters*

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

I once had a co worker and she had a flicky accent. I asked her where she is from and she said Kiev. I said something like ah Ukraine sweet. She was completly stunned that I knew where Kiev is and so was EVERYONE around !!!

Knowing where Kiev lies is some kind of basic knowledge in my eyes. I could understand such a reaction if she had said something like Zythomyr or Kerch....but Kiev ???? *mutters*
Sometimes, I think I know every place all around the world, but have problems where to find smaller a German city on a map.
I should propably play other nations than Germany in my strategy games, as I remember what I conquer... [;)]
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Yeah, GZ. We Amis are supposed to be the geographic know-nothings (and most of us justify the stereotype, I'm afraid), but I'd sort of expect the average German to know where Kiev is. As you point out, not exactly Brunei. Western Civilization is doomed. [;)]
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
Western Civilization is doomed. [;)]

Sez the Japanese player. [:)]

I am on assignment to the Maritime Administration within the US Department of Transportation. A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with one of our engineers, an Indian-American, who mentionjed that he was a graduate of India's Maritime Academy, in Calcutta. I asked him if the academy was in Calcutta proper, or on Diamond Harbor.

"In Calcutta," he said, "on Diamond Harbor road. How do you know about Diamond Harbor?"

AE!
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

flicky accent

What, pray tell, is a "flicky accent"? [&:]
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I've dispelled the notion of all Americans being geographical illiterates to a couple Australian blokes I work with. They always chuckle when discussing Timor, Darwin, P/NG and Australian towns. I sometimes have to close my eyes and count hex spaces to figure distance from point to point, but I'm usually within 20%. [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

i've always loved Masterpiece Theater, except that i really can't stand Dickens.

a few of its mini-series were set in WWII - Piece of Cake (RAF) & Danger UXB (Royal Engineers). & there's also Foyle's War from PBS Mystery!, which is now under the Masterpiece umbrella.

lately, the Downton Abbey series featured some WWI combat, & the house was used as a convalescent hospital.

As to Dickens, I enjoyed reading "Oliver Twist" and "A Tale of Two Cities" but "David Copperfield" was impossible. I took it up on three different occasions and each time I failed. It must be the most dreadful novel ever written. I certainly quailed at "Bleak House", after attempting DC I presumed it was even worse, if that were possible.

As to "flicky" accents, I have a friend who travelled to the foggy isle and went bar hopping on his own, and the people there couldn't get enough of his accent. I should say that I'm from "Missouree" and he's from "Missourahh". I should mention that I'm originally from West Virginny, and my aunt from there would say "I'm going to warsh the clothes.

bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Only 2 years?

What about WitP, and before that UV, and before that Pac War...and before that...ETC.

I was acing history tests and geography because of my gaming.

In sixth grade we had weekly geography quizzes where the teacher would pull down the big world map, call a student's name and give him/her a place name to find. She quickly learned that she had to give me much more difficult locations to find than the rest of the class. This was probably more due to the West Point Atlas of the American Wars than my wargames at the time - though I became enamored with those atlases because of my love of wargames.
fair winds,
Brad
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Geofflambert what part of West By God Virginia?  Warsh down by tha crick.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I thought Zythomyr was an antibiotic . . .
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”