Meet the Forumites

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sardaukar

RE: Meet the Forumites

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The books are so treasured you keep them in a safe?

Bill

Because he loved them more than wife and life. Bringing those out would expose anyone to fate worse than death.

[:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The books are so treasured you keep them in a safe?

Bill

Because he loved them more than wife and life. Bringing those out would expose anyone to fate worse than death.

[:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Stop reading that dreck before it's too late! It's right up there with the movie that can't be mentioned.

Damn you dorjun! I started laughing at your post about the movie that can't be mentioned and my wife gave me a look of disgust when I explained to her that I was laughing on a wargame site. [:D]

Is it possible to be anymore nerdy than a wargamer?

No. What's not funny about war?

But seriously, THAT book is the biggest waste of forest products I've ever had the displeasure of forcing my self to finish.
Its been a slow read on my kindle, very repetitive. Must say I do have my kids using the term the movie that shall not be named, they think its very funny and use it when rating other movies.
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

Well, if it's on a Kindle, all right then.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

At the time I was living in an apartment that had a pipe bust in the upstairs unit above me. I lost a LOT of games and books. The gun safe was...well, safe.

My wife still doesn't know how to open the safe. A great place to hide birthday, anniversery and Christmas gifts.

I keep the passports, the clothes my little girl came in {we adopted her from China and are going back for another in 2 weeks}, important documents, a first printing of Star Fleet Technical Manual {someday it'll be worth more than the $5 I paid for it}, the original D&D game books in pristine condition, and a couple of guns, all safe.

Now my wife wants a small wall safe.
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

Job:Audit director
Residence: High Wycombe, England
Family:1 ex wife, 1 son just starting physics PhD. GFU is a nurse
Education: MA Economics -Cambridge
Work: Medium size accountancy firm in London
Favorite Quote: I though i saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was just a bloody train coming towards me....
Reading:Currently Operation Barbarossa- David Glantz ( been updating my reading on the Russian front after starting to play WITE)
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

the original D&D game books in pristine condition,

Oh my...........[&o]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Oh my...........[&o]
To think I traded my interest in a set for Tractics.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Oh my...........[&o]

I've got all my 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D stuff. Heck would still love to play once the boys are older and I can have some of a life back.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Skyros
Its been a slow read on my kindle, very repetitive. Must say I do have my kids using the term the movie that shall not be named, they think its very funny and use it when rating other movies.

I never saw that movie. I ordered it on Netflix once and the disc sat there for two weeks. I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I finally sent it back without even putting it in the DVD player.

It's too bad such a large scale production turned out to be such junk. There is a realism movement in Hollywood these days that have brought us some historically accurate movies. I guess some old time executives got ahold of TMTCBN.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Job: Federal retiree
Residence: Cincinnati, Ohio
Family: wife, 3 children, 4 grandchildren
Education: Accounting Degree, Univ of Northern Colorado
Work: Currently, manager of small minatures company
Favorite Quote: below
Reading - God's War
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Which ones? As in the original Chainmail rule book? Or the old Gygax and Arneson set of 3? Greyhawk?
Pax
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Which ones? As in the original Chainmail rule book? Or the old Gygax and Arneson set of 3? Greyhawk?
Set of three. I never owned Chainmail I sold a few copies at a game store I worked at, but never bought it myself.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Set of three. I never owned Chainmail I sold a few copies at a game store I worked at, but never bought it myself.

That's what I have, the set of three. But they are worn out and dog eared.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Pretty sure I have all my originals around somewhere. My elder son isn't a game player, takes after Mom. Younger son, too early to tell. But maybe. We'll see.
Pax
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

Since you expressed a desire for newbies like myself:

Job: Engineer, Boeing Commercial Aircraft
Residence: Washington (state)
Family: Wife and two perpetually terrified cats
Education: BS Mech E, Paramedic
Work: Junior Assistant Herder of Cats for the BCA portion of the interior of the KC-46A
Favorite Quote: This too shall pass
Reading: Just finished Terry Pratchet's Thief of Time. Partway through some book about dealing with back pain and the latest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog.

Oh, and Termite2: which miniature company? Wonder if I have any of your stuff...
Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Thunderbolt Mountain
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Stop reading that dreck before it's too late! It's right up there with the movie that can't be mentioned.

Damn you dorjun! I started laughing at your post about the movie that can't be mentioned and my wife gave me a look of disgust when I explained to her that I was laughing on a wargame site. [:D]

Is it possible to be anymore nerdy than a wargamer?

No. What's not funny about war?

But seriously, THAT book is the biggest waste of forest products I've ever had the displeasure of forcing my self to finish.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it the biggest waste of forest products, but it does have some pretty bad spots (which, unfortunately, outnumber the good). Poor editing, many inaccuracies, but just enough good parts to make me keep reading it. It is, though, eminently easy to put down and not pick back up for several days!

I do at least appreciate the attempt to talk about life on the home front in wartime, a subject usually dismissed by most authors. I remember my high school history text had 7 chapters on the Civil War (and one for the entire first 75 years of the 20th century), but all it talked about was the war. Life went on for those not directly involved -- why can't we read something about them now and then?
jetjockey

Post by jetjockey »

Job: FAA
Residence: Pittsburgh,PA
Family: Wife plus two
Education: BS Meteorology, Navy Flight School, latest ATP: A-320
Work: Aviation Safety Inspector
Favorite Quote: “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
Reading: Mark Levin

Greetings all!
Brian Anthony Rademacher
JSBoomer

Post by JSBoomer »

Job: Sheriff and an Infantry Platoon 2 I/C on weekends
Residence: Edmonton Alberta
Family: None
Education: Malaspina UC and the book of hard knocks...
Favorite Quotes: "They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can't get away from us now!"
"
"Go ahead, take the moral highground; all that heavenly backglow makes you an easier target."
Reading: Starship Troopers, I have read it once a year for the last twenty and have never tired of it.

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”