Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hortlund

RE: Where the eastern wind is blowing... AAR against Canoerebel

Post by Hortlund »

I count BBs with more than a year of repair-time to be "killed". I dont have to worry about them before I have to worry about everything else in the USN. The "heavy damage, heavy fires" are sunk or as good as sunk in my book. At least when it comes to the PH strike.

I really do not want to go to Pearl a second time unless I absolutely have to. AAA and CAP can/will take out 20-something of my best pilots if I attack again, and at this point, with that first PH-strike, I simply do not think it is worth it.
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I count BBs with more than a year of repair-time to be "killed". I dont have to worry about them before I have to worry about everything else in the USN. The "heavy damage, heavy fires" are sunk or as good as sunk in my book. At least when it comes to the PH strike.

I really do not want to go to Pearl a second time unless I absolutely have to. AAA and CAP can/will take out 20-something of my best pilots if I attack again,

Both valid points, although I wouldn't think there's much left for CAP at Pearl.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Schlemiel

Post by Schlemiel »

Wishing you good luck, as I plan to read both AARs (started with yours).  I might chime in a time or two, but I don't plan to give any advice for obvious reasons.
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Some words on the situation in the Singapore-area. The move by Force Z is a very good move. Force Z can threaten Japanese ships in three areas shown in Yellow. He can move towards Saigon to intercept the very very fat troop convoys heading for Singora, he can move towards Kota Bharu to attack the landings there, or he can move towards Singkawang or Kuching to attack my shipping there.

Of all these three, I think the most likely is a move towards Singkawang. I think he expects me to land there, and he will use Force Z to try to catch my troop convoys before they can unload. But at the same time, I have to protect the shipping in all three areas.

Here are my moves:

The 2 BBs move to intercept a move towards Kota Bharu.

The 4 CAs will move down to the Kuching area to provide surface cover for the upcoming invasion.

CA Chokai will enter straits of Malacca and head towards Rangoon.

Troop transports off Kuching move to a hex just north of Kuching, there they will meet up with a CVL and a surface combat TF consisting of two CAs that will provide close cover.

Surface combat TFs currently in the same hex as the transports off Kuching will stay in place to create a barrier between the troop transports and Force Z.

5 TBs detached from transport cover ordered to move to Singkawang in the hopes to intercept the BBs in a night action at Singkawang. They might score a lucky hit, or delay the RN BBs so Kates from the CVL might be able to strike at the BBs tomorrow.

Zeros from the CVL will LRCAP Palembang, this will show if there are any troop transport aircraft moving there. Will provide valuable intel and perhaps even shoot down some transports.

Betties and Nells at Saigon will be ordered to naval attack, but with a limited range to avoid CAP-traps around Singapore.

Attachments
turn1.jpg
turn1.jpg (178.74 KiB) Viewed 299 times
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Good Luck!!!!
desicat

Post by desicat »

China is the way to go for several reasons.

1. It is in the Japanese backyard and utilizes troops that are in play from day 1. Having China as the main ground battle front greatly eases the Japanese supply problem, especially since you gave him good torpedoes from day 1.
2. Attrition of the Chinese army and supply handicaps the Allied player and becomes a constant drain on supply. If the pressure is maintained the Allies are greatly weakened later in the war without effective Chinese ground forces. Not being able to commit Chinese forces to Burma counters some Allied player gambits.
3. The air war in China is a meat grinder for the Allies (especially in scenario 2) and is a great training ground for the Japanese Army Air Corps.
4. By not going full out for either India or OZ once your outer Naval perimeter is established you will have a lot more leeway with the KB and the rest of the IJN to search out and attempt to force a decisive/destructive naval engagement in late 42 through mid 43 where you have the advantage.
5. CR will spend a lot of time and energy positioning forces to counter possible invasions of either India or OZ. Any feints will prove to be very effective and have little or no impact to your main ground combat thrust in China.
6. Once you are properly positioned you can use your Scenario 2 excess air forces to engage CR in a crushing battle of attrition. The loss of airframes has a (c)rippling effect throughout the Allied force structure and training as well as in his offensive planning.
CRations

Post by CRations »

Hi Panzerjaeger,

Regarding Singapore: Why not arm your Nells/Bettys with torpedoes for a nval attack and then use all of your search aircraft to find force Z? Doesn't air attacks go before naval attacks?

Regarding Boise/Houston - those are just light cruisers? Why so concerned about them?

And Warp Transports - which TFs are those? I know about TF1 & TF2 plus those DDs that attack Wake. What other "warp" TFs are there?

Regarding PH - There aren't really that many PBY to kill at Pearl. Why believe that any of the rest of that combat report is true?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions - but... I played a couple of turns against myself and those combat reports are totally bogus.

CR
Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from the encampment.
-- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Mistmatz

Post by Mistmatz »

*subscribed*

And as someone else already wrote I am also tempted not to read canoes AAR to spit out stuff more freely here. For instance, even if he used the northern route several times already I am sure he will at least keep this as an option on the table so you will have to prepare for that. Especially since some of the usual naval warfare in 42-43 might simply not happening due to your focus on China. Which I believe is very solid btw.

Good luck and fair winds!
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: CRations

Regarding Boise/Houston - those are just light cruisers? Why so concerned about them?

Read a few AARs from the beginning and you'll see why he (and any other Japanese player) would be concerned about Houston (a CA by the way) and Boise (a modern CL). Boise has an almost mythical (but very real) ability to cause havoc in the early part of the war.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

December 8th

Lots of action today. All in all, I think I lost this day.

Pearl Harbor
KB split in two.

Part 1 made its way north to meet up with the AOs. Several SCTFs were sent out from Pearl, and suffered at the airwings. I think I sunk 5-6 DDs today.

Part 2 made a speed run west to catch the suspected CV at Johnston Island. Amazingly enough we ended up inside strike range, but managed to send only an uncoordinated strike of 18 Kates and 22 Zeros. They met a CAP of 21 Wildcats. In the dogfight, the Wildcats drew the longest straw and got through to the Kates.

6 Kates managed to penetrate to the ships, and missed CV Enterprise. Damn...

Could be an interesting day tomorrow though...

Malaya
Chokai and Sagiri ran into several RN SCTFs. Damaged a CL, sank a CM and DD Tenedos, and was sunk in turn by Prince of Wales.

Kota Bharu fell, and several Buffalos were shot down over Singapore.

Philippines
Lots of action here. My DDs covering Hong Kong sank a dozen small transports fleeing south. USN DDs tried to intercept my landings but were caught by my covering forces. In the surface actions almost nothing happened though.

Betties from Babeldaob managed to catch some B17s on the ground at Cagayan.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Quite surprised that was actually a CV TF. I thought it would turn out to be a SC TF. What is CR thinking?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Quite surprised that was actually a CV TF. I thought it would turn out to be a SC TF. What is CR thinking?

He was lucky those were Wildcats and not Buffaloes. If the two US CVs link up in the next few days, assuming the Enterprize can elude the IJN, that puts a lot of DBs into the mix. I'd still be happier with 3 IJN CVs in that case though.

It is odd he wanted to 'show' the CVs so close to the KB. Maybe it'll take a while to adapt to PH's style of play.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Boise (a modern CL). Boise has an almost mythical (but very real) ability to cause havoc in the early part of the war.

I consider Boise to be a greater threat than Houston. She carried 15 rapid-firing six-inch guns, which were more lethal than slow-firing 8-inchers to unarmored ships, and she had better armor. IRL, she struck an uncharted shoal in January 1942, which is why you don't hear of any early-war exploits.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Mistmatz

Post by Mistmatz »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
Boise (a modern CL). Boise has an almost mythical (but very real) ability to cause havoc in the early part of the war.

I consider Boise to be a greater threat than Houston. She carried 15 rapid-firing six-inch guns, which were more lethal than slow-firing 8-inchers to unarmored ships, and she had better armor. IRL, she struck an uncharted shoal in January 1942, which is why you don't hear of any early-war exploits.

That should be hard-coded...
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Lots of action already in this game. The waters between Singkawang and Sumatra are very contested, it is like a knife fight in a dark alley there right now. Very interesting game, much more fun than the Sir Robin defence.

Singapore - Singkawang
A mixed TF consisting of 4 CLs and 2 DDs tried to intercept my (not-happening) landings at Singkawang I think. (My troop transports are hovering one hex to the north of Singkawang under heavy SCTF protection) ...

This force tangled with several of my TFs in the area:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Pontianak at 54,90, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
This is a TF designed to tangle with the RN BBs at close range at night in the hopes of delaying the enemy and perhaps getting a lucky hit. Unfortunately as you can see, the TBs failed to score any hit.

DD Tachikaze, Shell hits 1
TB Chidori
TB Manazuru, Shell hits 3
TB Hatsukari, Shell hits 1
TB Tomozuru

Allied Ships
CL Java
CL Danae
CL Dragon, Shell hits 2
CL Durban
DD Van Nes
DD Evertsen

Night Time Surface Combat, near Singkawang at 55,88, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships This is the main defense for the troop transports. This SCTF takes position in the hex just before the troop transports and their close cover. I was very disappointed at this engagement, I was expecting more from my heavy cruisers. Kumano might actually make it, believe it or not, she is limping towards port together with DD Arashi.

CA Mogami
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 2
CA Suzuya
CA Kumano, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Maikaze
DD Nowaki
DD Arashi, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hagikaze, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 6, on fire
CL Danae, Shell hits 1
CL Dragon, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Durban, Shell hits 1
DD Van Nes, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Evertsen, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

At this point, I would say it is an allied victory. But then one of my subs manages to score several hits on the retreating brits.

ASW attack near Pontianak at 54,90

Japanese Ships
SS I-157

Allied Ships
CL Danae, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Van Nes

And then the Kates from my CVL manages to score a hit.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Billiton at 52,91

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
B5N1 Kate x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Durban, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Java

And finally another successful sub attack
Sub attack near Billiton at 52,91

Japanese Ships
SS I-156

Allied Ships
CL Durban, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

CL Durban is sighted by SS I-156
SS I-156 launches 6 torpedoes at CL Durban

Central Pacific
I failed to correctly guess the heading of the fleeing Enterprise, and the USN CV got away. A USN CA intercepted my landings at Ocean island and sunk a couple of ships.

Rangoon
Heavy air battles over Rangoon today as the AVG is committed to the defence of the port. I'll post the relevant parts of the CR so you can get a feel for the battle. Having the Tojos arrive later and higher than the first sweep was really effective, the Tojos went 4-0 in this engagement. The Zeros were the real killers though.

Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid spotted at 45 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 32

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 27
Buffalo I x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44 Tojo x 8

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 20
Buffalo I x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 28

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 15
Buffalo I x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 13

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 21

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 13
Buffalo I x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 7 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 9000 feet

China
I wanted to bomb Kunming because I thought he might be moving parts of the AVG into China. I was right, but unfortunately the AVG fighters there were set on CAP and not stood down (as I was expecting). To make matters even worse, the Zeros ordered to sweep the base failed to fly. As a result I lost several precious Betties.

Morning Air attack on Kunming , at 69,48

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 41

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 26

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 destroyed, 3 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
4 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 51

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
17 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Here is an image to give an idea about the kind of desicions Im facing right now.

One false move, and I'll have Force Z in the middle of some very fat troop transports.

Same around Mindanao. Still no spotting of Boise or Houston, and at the same time, several spottings of unknown TFs.

Im trying to cover two directions at once with only one CA, one CL and a handful of DDs. I should have focused on one direction instead. But against a passive allied player, you can really get ahead down here if you move fast enough.

The uncertainty forced me to abandon my early invasion of Ambon and land at Sorong instead. I simply cannot risk facing the Boise down there together with the Dutch and US destroyers that start in eastern DEI. I'll have to wait for some cover forces that right now are heading south around the eastern side of Luzon.

Attachments
turn3.jpg
turn3.jpg (247.7 KiB) Viewed 298 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

Looks like the surface battle went your way considering the aftermath. That'll take some sting out of the defense.

I agree that against an aggressive defender it's tough to get all of the way to Ambon early without having good naval search already installed in places like Ternate and Sorong. Too many players (including me in my first PBEM) set up a bunch of goals and fail to modify them to the style of play they encounter, then get skewered going somewhere deep too early.
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Yeah, it is very easy to get target-fixated and push too hard to get there.

Meanwhile, Im waiting for the turn I thought Id say something about the

Plans for tomorrow

More fighter sweeps of Rangoon with fresh fighters. The ones used yesterday were somewhat fatigued (18-25) so Im standing them down and sweeping with others.

Troop transports will continue towards Palembang together with most of my surface combat fleet.

CVs will try to link up southeast of Pearl and then head north to the tankers.

Paradrop in the base just south of Mandalay to break the rail/road from Rangoon to China. Since I could not close this supply path with my surface combat forces, I have to do it this way. I think I will lose that para-unit completely, but I have to delay him long enough to shut down Rangoon harbor.
desicat

Post by desicat »

Since you are going to make a major push in China can you please relate some of your plans and objectives (unless OPSEC is a concern)? A map shot would be great if possible.

CR normally prides himself on not doing too badly in China so his defense should be interesting.
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Another action packed turn.

Western NEI
We are making slow but steady progress towards Palembang. Several air attacks from Singapore were defeated by the Zero CAP of CVL Zuiho. The light carrier has performed admirably, and is the only reason this attack works. If the carrier would be taken out of operation, I will have several transport TFs hanging in mid-ocean, well inside torpedo-bomber-range.

Zeros from Zuiho on LRCAP over Palembang intercepted several transport aircraft coming from several different locations. Clearly Canoe is trying to reinforce here. A SCTF consisting of a CL and several DDs also raided the port at Palembang and sank 4 xAKs. They were empty, so I dont know if that means they were loading supply or if they have unloaded their cargo already. Im not sure what I will face here to be honest.

Im ordering the troop transports to carry on towards Palembang, and the cover forces are positioned to counter any move from Java.

The Zeros at Zuiho were set to 70% CAP 30% rest at 0 range. This is a very good setting for carrier defence in my opinion.

Burma
More airbattles over Rangoon today. I think I am breaking his back here. My Zeros were stood down and the two sweeps were conducted by Ib-Oscars and Ic-Oscars.

I have noted that Canoe likes to put his CAP up high. One section of the AVG were at 25k and the other at 30k. I think this is a mistake, perhaps caused by earlier opponents using the strato-sweep. It seems quite clear to me watching the combat replay that I benefit most from this. He gets the first dive, but after that I have the initiative and my fighters have less fatigue and higher morale than his.

My counter to this is staggered sweeps. One around 16-18k and one around 5-8k. My fighters are more manuverable the lower we get, and by dragging him down to me, we fight on our conditions. My pilots will also enter the fight with lower fatigue.

Here is what the combat report is showing, "officially" we lost, but in reality I won this engagement pretty clear. Lots of his H81s were hit and damaged, but the armament of the Ib is clearly not enough to cause enough kills. Had this sweep been with Ic's instead, he would have lost 5 more aircraft. This engagement proves that my sweep-tactics are much better than his CAP tactics right now, and this difference will show more and more as I get better fighters online. Unless Canoe changes his tactics that is.

I think I will throw in a strato-sweep or two in the future to make him think Im using high sweeps to, in an effort to have him continue putting his CAP up high.

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 19
Buffalo I x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar sweeping at 16000 feet

CAP engaged:
AVG/3rd Sqn with H81-A3 (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(13 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
AVG/1st Sqn with H81-A3 (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 2 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters to 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes

Philippines
Lots of small surface action around the PI. I sunk his 4 DDs, and I managed to get one of my troop convoys and my "mini-KB" entangled with the fleeing ships from Manila east of Luzon. Sweep over Clark to clear the way for another runway-cratering mission tomorrow.

Central Pacific
Im not sure what Canoe is doing with his CVs. Ive spotted one with my Mavis. Why is he moving his CVs so close to my bases? The initial sighting on day 1 was luck on my part, but now he moves them inside Mavis range too? What is he up to?

Surely he realizes that if he shows his CVs I will come chasing after them with the KB? He knows where the KB will be on day 1, why is he not moving out of that area as fast as he can? I dont understand. Is there something Im missing here? Is there some sort of "unspoken HR" that means the US CVs are off limits for the first week of the war or something?

Edit: One more thing about the airbattle over Rangoon. I think his pilots are much more fatigued than mine, I see signs of this all over the map. His fighters are not as effective against my sweeps as they could be, several of his Buffalos escorting torpedo-planes at Singapore turned back after a few rounds, several bombers turned back after taking one loss. I think he is using his units too much, and I try to rotate my units to ensure all stay below 15 in fatigue.

Attachments
turn3.jpg
turn3.jpg (166.8 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Return to “After Action Reports”