Help against Leningrad

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Disgruntled Veteran

Help against Leningrad

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

So after 2 mp games and several sp games Im baffled as to how anyone can lose Leningrad or any fortified region for that matter. Im trying to take (as Germany) the light woods province directly across the last river on Leningrad. I realize that once you take the port near Leningrad its easy, but how can any soviet player lose that river tile?

I have 6 rifle divisions all loaded with pioneers and artillery (attached to all units directly). Model commands one corps....hollidt the other. I have launched several air attacks to soften it up and have every motorised and panzer division (not committed) on reserve. All units were fresh and decent or better morale. All Toe's were 75 or better. Combined CV is 55 for all 6 divisions. My last save I loaded the game at least a dozen times and couldnt even drop the fort lvl. I hear ppl talk about Leningrad being too easy to capture....anyone mind helping me out?
Klydon

RE: Help against Leningrad

Post by Klydon »

55 is pretty weak and doesnt sound right. That is less than 10 a division, especially with 2-3 support units each.

To crack that, I have used as many as 4 stacks. (first two stacks launch the best attack they can, then move out and two fresh stacks come in. The Russians are usually beat up enough after the first attack, they get moved out).
kg_1007

Post by kg_1007 »

I concur with Klydon...55 is not very much strength if you are saying that is what the board shows..the actual "on unit" cv number may be close to that, but with additions of support units, etc usually a panzer division in '41 should be showing on its marker a strength between 17-28, and infantry divisions 8-14 or so, and the "final" cv in battle should be around 140+ per stack..the first assault will probably take heavy losses, but if you do as Klydon stated, the second, or possibly third, should begin to wear back the enemy.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

The key is to attack it twice, or three times, and make sure the second/third attacks have some fresh troops mixed in.

If you use pioneers, the first attack will fail, but knock a fort down, leaving the defenders tired and very vulnerable
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Thanks guys.This makes sense.

I figured infantry with a lower initial CV would be better than armor with higher CV since armor is (is it?) weaker attacking across major rivers. Is it best to keep armor out of the assault and use the 4th pzg to screen? I could build 2 corps as fodder for the first attack then move in my best corps for a follow up attack. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”