What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

parusski

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by parusski »

Warspite1

He must be pleased to have two real friends like us looking after him.

I can understand too. If one of my relations was responsible for the slaughter of 15,000 townsfolk I would not want to be able to read about it.

Agree. But as somehow we are waaaaaay off topic again. Time for ADHD meds.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski
Warspite1

He must be pleased to have two real friends like us looking after him.

I can understand too. If one of my relations was responsible for the slaughter of 15,000 townsfolk I would not want to be able to read about it.

Agree. But as somehow we are waaaaaay off topic again. Time for ADHD meds.
Warspite1

Can you stop taking this off topic please???

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

This morning I ordered Roskill's The War at Sea from Amazon. Any one read this? Comments if so?

nate25

Post by nate25 »

Ambrose liked it. Raved about it. Couldn't put it down.

"The 21st century's definitive work on naval warfare." - Ambrose, Bookbuyer's Club
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: nate25

"The 21st century's definitive work on naval warfare." - Ambrose, Bookbuyer's Club

You have learned much grasshopper. LOL.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

I wasn't asking you young natester......for obvious reasons [;)]

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

This morning I ordered Roskill's The War at Sea from Amazon. Any one read this? Comments if so?
Roskill's The War at Sea

Looks interesting, let me know how you like it.

I, for some odd reason, have never read much about naval warfare. So I will take this opportunity to ask you for recommendations of WW2 naval warfare books.
JWW

Post by JWW »

Just finished Les Miserable. Great, great book.

But since have read a short sci-fi Kindle novel and am reading another.

Read Into the Black: Odyssey One by Evan Currie and currently reading Aurora: CV-01 by Ryk Brown. Both are space opera type novels in which untested Earth faster-than-light spaceships find themselves in unexpected conflicts in unexpected places. Fun, light reads.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski
ORIGINAL: warspite1

Roskill's The War at Sea

Looks interesting, let me know how you like it.

I, for some odd reason, have never read much about naval warfare. So I will take this opportunity to ask you for recommendations of WW2 naval warfare books.
Warspite1

Some really good books - either entirely naval or with a large naval element:

The German Invasion of Norway
The Battle for Norway - both by Geirr H Haarr - concentrates on the naval aspects of the Weserubung.
Target Tipitz - Patrick Bishop - the Navy and Air Force attempts to destroy the battleship
The Battle for the Middle Sea - Vincent O'Hara - Naval war in the Mediterranean
Bismarck - Zetterling and Tamelander - the story of the Bismarck
The Price of Disobedience - Eric Grove - the search and destruction of the Graf Spee
Bywater - William Honan - the stroy of the man "who invented the Pacific War"
The Forgotten Fleet John Winton - the story of the British Pacific Fleet
The Sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse - Middlebrook and Mahoney - the sinking of Force Z
Convoy SC122 + HX229 - Martin Middlebrook - story of what is considered the height of the Battle of the Atlantic
The Real Cruel Sea - Richard Woodman - the battle of the Atlantic
Shattered Sword - Parshall and Tully - the definitive account of the Battle of Midway
Guadalcanal - Frank - the definitive account of the campaign
On Seas Sontested - Vincent O'Hara - a look at the main navies of WWII.
Gamp VC - Brian Izzard - a look at the life of one of the RN's most successful submariners Anthony Miers VC

I would recommend any of those without hesitation.

parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite1

Some really good books - either entirely naval or with a large naval element:

The German Invasion of Norway
The Battle for Norway - both by Geirr H Haarr - concentrates on the naval aspects of the Weserubung.
Target Tipitz - Patrick Bishop - the Navy and Air Force attempts to destroy the battleship
The Battle for the Middle Sea - Vincent O'Hara - Naval war in the Mediterranean
Bismarck - Zetterling and Tamelander - the story of the Bismarck
The Price of Disobedience - Eric Grove - the search and destruction of the Graf Spee
Bywater - William Honan - the stroy of the man "who invented the Pacific War"
The Forgotten Fleet John Winton - the story of the British Pacific Fleet
The Sinking of the Prince of Wales and the Repulse - Middlebrook and Mahoney - the sinking of Force Z
Convoy SC122 + HX229 - Martin Middlebrook - story of what is considered the height of the Battle of the Atlantic
The Real Cruel Sea - Richard Woodman - the battle of the Atlantic
Shattered Sword - Parshall and Tully - the definitive account of the Battle of Midway
Guadalcanal - Frank - the definitive account of the campaign
On Seas Sontested - Vincent O'Hara - a look at the main navies of WWII.
Gamp VC - Brian Izzard - a look at the life of one of the RN's most successful submariners Anthony Miers VC

I would recommend any of those without hesitation.

Sounds good. Thanks warpedmind.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Just finished reading this and getting ready to play that:

Attachments
st.jpg
st.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 207 times
51lR1EXcqz..0_AA300_.jpg
51lR1EXcqz..0_AA300_.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

"The Better Angels of Our Natures" by Stephen Pinker. He puts together a very interesting case for the decline of not just warfare but all kinds of violence over the last three centuries. (WWI and WWII are shown to be statistical aberrations, and indeed he has a graph which makes it look plausible.) Note that Pinker is actually a scholar of linguistics rather than history, so there are some points to disagree with.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

"The Better Angels of Our Natures" by Stephen Pinker. He puts together a very interesting case for the decline of not just warfare but all kinds of violence over the last three centuries. (WWI and WWII are shown to be statistical aberrations, and indeed he has a graph which makes it look plausible.) Note that Pinker is actually a scholar of linguistics rather than history, so there are some points to disagree with.
Warspite1

He should take a walk through our inner cities after dark then; I'm sure he would change his mind......

nate25

Post by nate25 »

Might be an interesting read.

I struggle with violence declining, though. IMO folks are becoming much more hardened and callous toward one another.
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Might be an interesting read.

I struggle with violence declining, though. IMO folks are becoming much more hardened and callous toward one another.
Warspite1

Joking aside I suspect that as living standards rise generally, and life becomes "easier" and more "comfortable" so there is a
lessening need to resort to violence. However, I believe we humans are programmed with emotions that have evolved over thousands of years, and resorting to violence will always be there waiting for a trigger - be it hunger, envy, hatred or whatever.

ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Reading Shattered Sword again for the fourth or fifth time. My wife asked me a couple of days ago,"are you reading that book AGAIN?".
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
RedArgo

Post by RedArgo »

I really like Shattered Sword too.

I'm currently reading Hornblower and the Hotspur. The Hornblower books were recently release as e-books for $6, so I've been buying them up. We go on vacation next week and I'm going to read the latest Honor Harrington book A Rising Thunder. Reviews don't look so good, but I've liked all the rest of the series and I'll have a lot of free time.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Iwan Lutow, Piotr Sahajdak Infantry Battalion as an Airborne Assault. I have found it in a used book store about a week ago. It caught my eye with a photo of soldiers running out of Mil Mi-4 helicopters. I immediately bought it.
It turned out that it's a Soviet military manual from 1969 translated and printed by Polish ministry of defence in 1972 and the introduction says that that it was published for soldiers. It's the first time I saw a communist-era military manual in a store.According to it one of the main uses of airborne assault units is securing objects hit by a nuclear strike almost immediately after the explosion. Facinating stuff.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Reading Shattered Sword again for the fourth or fifth time. My wife asked me a couple of days ago,"are you reading that book AGAIN?".

When I first read "Shattered Sword" I was surprised by how the book is often quite funny ("...Don't worry, the bombing will resume promptly" [:D])

Currently reading:

"Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq", by Thomas E. Ricks
and
"Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System - and Themselves", by Andrew Ross Sorkin

The interesting thing about these two books is how one can switch reading between them without losing the thread.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Speaking of funny reading. I read Toland's The Rising Sun? I think that was what it was - as a teenager. I was a voracious reader then and read anything I could get my hands on. Anyway, there was one part that was pretty funny about Pearl Harbor when one of the Japanese pilots told the radio operator/rear gunner to radio back something to the ship and the reply was, "I can't. I shot the antenna off."

I'm reading "The Queen's Oranges". Historical fiction. I can't get enough of historical fiction about England for some reason. But my next foray into historical fiction will be a Hangman's Daughter book. The 2nd one. The Dark Monk comes out June or July. I'm also going to look into historical fiction set during the American Revolution.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “General Discussion”