Off Topic. About Other Games.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Simulation01

RE: Off Topic. About Other Games.

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

...I took an arrow to the knee.

Seriously? [8|]

I've been trying to get back playing more on PC, but ME3 (both SP and MP) and Forza 4 have eaten surprising amount of my free time.

On PC, I'm playing Anachronox (Thanks again GOG!), SPAZ and SoaSE:Rebellion BETA. I've been thinking of getting Shogun 2 now that I've got new rig. I've always loved Total Wars, especially Rome and Medieval 2.
Other games that I really would like to play again are Space Rangers 2, Star Control 2, Skyrim, Alpha Centauri, Outcast, Deus Ex (both original and HR) and countless others that I won'teven bother to list here.
Stupid real life! Y U GET IN THE WAY OF MY HARDCORE GAMING?!

What? I'm still laughing over that![:)] I know, I know...it's everywhere, but then so it is in the game.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
martok

Post by martok »

Aside from Distant Worlds: Legends, I'm mostly playing my PBEM campaigns in Armada 2526 Supernova.  It's still my current favorite 4x game (although DW comes a *very* close second).  [8D] 

I also dink around a bit with the Crusader Kings 2 demo and Star Trek Online (since it went free-to-play). 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

ORIGINAL: martok

Armada 2526 Supernova.  It's still my current favorite 4x game (although DW comes a *very* close second).  [8D] 

That's interesting. I had to uninstall 2526 and its expansion Supernova (which I bought together) after a couple of days, I just could not find replayability in it. Fascinating how tastes differ.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: onomastikon

ORIGINAL: martok

Armada 2526 Supernova.  It's still my current favorite 4x game (although DW comes a *very* close second).  [8D] 

That's interesting. I had to uninstall 2526 and its expansion Supernova (which I bought together) after a couple of days, I just could not find replayability in it. Fascinating how tastes differ.

I've tried a few times to like it as well but it just doesn't grab me. I feel like I'm missing something fundamental in my understanding of the game. I like the concept of the different races focussing on different aspects but other than that it doesn't hold my attention. DW is a game with a mountain of possibilities but Armada Supernova just seems like the same approach time after time. Funny thing is I really want to like this game.
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

I like them both. We've had this discussion with martok over at armada forums. Apples and oranges. [:)]

Armada has its own charm. DW is my favorite. Well, DW is one of the best anyways. Comparing armada to DW though isn't the way to go. Too many differences... Armada asks for less time which suits my currently hectic schedule. DW demands more attention which not many may simply afford nowadays.
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

League of Legends
Advanced Tactics Gold
and DW all have my interest right now.
Keston

Post by Keston »

DW actually inspired me to pull out the old Starfleet Command (with update) for tactical space battles for a while, as I have done from time to time.

But I've been playing a lot of Crusader Kings 2 for the whole different flavor of a dynastic game played in a semi role-playing way as well as the detailed watch-the-world-do-its-thing (some of that is in DW too). Claims, heirs, marriages, casus belli, intrigue etc. I haven't had a Cruel Arbitrary ruler yet, so I avoid assassinatio, but do often provoke the recalcitrant vassals into hostility that canl lead to a conflict they lose and end up in a dank and unhealthy cell.
morelyn

Post by morelyn »

After a discussion on this forum, I pulled out MoO2 and got hooked all over again. But for the past few weeks I've been playing....

Master of Magic!

What a great game it is, I'd really forgotten. There are endless combinations of magic/race to try out and if you give the computer a lot of cheats it can give you a pretty tough game.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

skyrim and kotr
Abraxis

Post by Abraxis »

I am currently playing DW, If i wasn't I wouldn't be here, hah.

Before my most recent foray into this awesome game though I was enjoying some Mount and Blade: Warband with Floris' Mod then Sword of Demaclese.

Before that I was on a Crusader Kings 2 kick until I realized how repetitive the game is. It adds character and, a 'reason to care' I guess, that I find lacking from most Paradox grand strategy titles, but after a game or two those characters just become nothing but numbers and the whole things is back to the same stale roots as Victoria or EU (entirely my opinion of course, I wish I liked those games).

Played some X3 for a while too, always fun, put that down until Rebirth comes out though, can't freaking wait [:@]

Every now and again I'll dip into Dwarf Fortress, or a game of League of Legends here and there.

Another game I feel like noting, in case you were looking for other things like DW, but not. Aurora is like a hyper realistic DW. I've tried getting into it a few times, but I swear you need a degree in physics just to design a functioning component of a ship, let alone a ship. The first time I played it I never even got out of the SOL system. The second time I tried it, it took me about two days of heavy play just to colonize another planet. That being said, if you're a smarter and more patient man than me you'll probably get a lot out of it.

You're very much blind when it comes to everything going on, but if you're able to figure out how to properly calibrate signal bandwidth with antenna length in order to achieve the proper range and resolution to even see what may or may not even be there chances are you'll just wonder where that pathetic fleet you spent 5 hours designing and another 5 building;
the one that experienced failures in multiple systems right out of the gate;
the one you had to mine a long period comet for years to build, before it left system, taking all your mining equipment with it...
but you sent them on their mission anyways.

They weren't destroyed, they weren't captured. All you ever saw from them was some preliminary scans of a few asteroids in this particular solar system, a curious heat signature just barely big enough to register on those medium range high rez infrared scanners you weren't even sure worked (but holy hell was it satisfying after about an hour designing them), then there was a curious nuclear detonation... then... nothing.

That's about where I left it, deciding to play something simple, like Dwarf Fortress.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I am playing Ultima 6 and Storm over the Pacific.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
jlevans

Post by jlevans »

Anyone tried Star Ruler?
James L Evans
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ATM been playing Star Wars TOR. Also been hitting some WiTP:AE intermittently.

Kinda waiting to see whats in the next DW update before starting a new game there.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

ORIGINAL: jlevans

Anyone tried Star Ruler?

Yes. That's what I've started playing few days ago. Pleasantly surprised to be honest. Refreshing. Much, much better than Sins of Solar Empire. The ship design is an absolute blast. Impressed. SR is an ice cream... DW is a chocolate cake....

.... I love chocolate.
msnevil

Post by msnevil »

Fallout trilogy.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Okay, since there is a forum here about other games: has anyone played Star Wars the Old Republic? Is it a strictly MMO game OR is there an option to play solitare?
Thank you! [:)]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Okay, since there is a forum here about other games: has anyone played Star Wars the Old Republic? Is it a strictly MMO game OR is there an option to play solitare?
Thank you! [:)]

Google would have answered this, but its an MMO, and contains all the usual requirements for that type of game. meaning no single player.

also, is anyone else following the development of Endless Space? looks pretty sweet
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Sadly, but not a lot of info available about this game. Difficult to say what game will come.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Great to see CoE 3 popular. Those who enjoy that I suggest you save and go buy Dominion 3 NOW!!

I'm playing CoE3, Dom 3, CK2, the demo of Steel and Iron, testing Tigers Unleashed and had a bash at Toy Soldiers though I doubt it will keep me entertained for to long oh and a bit of SPAZ.
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95
also, is anyone else following the development of Endless Space? looks pretty sweet

I would like to know more about it but I will probably pre-order the Emperors Edition.
I here the pre-order could start this week on Steam!

Return to “General Discussion”