NooB Here

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

critter

NooB Here

Post by critter »

Been a lurker here for months. Wasn't sure I'd like AT.
Killed off France in DC last night and before I invaded England I realized I needed a brake.

Ok where do I find the original AT sens and mods. ATG doesn't seem to have many. How do I introduce them into AT gold?

Whats the best way to learn this game? Played the tutorials and they leave alittle to be desired.

Last of all "Damn you Vic"
I played the tutorials last night. Was very excited when I learned to make my first unit. Moved it down the road as it told me to...........
Right into an ambush.[:o][:@][8|]
What do you mean we're out of amunition???
Josh

RE: NooB Here

Post by Josh »

Here's the AT website with more scen than you'll ever be able to play: http://www.advancedtactics.org/

Learn it by playing smal random scenarios and then move on to the bigger stuff.

You probably ran into an ambush because your unit (guessing here) was mostly armored, and with a low recon value? Inf, AT guns and such can be hidden very good in woods and hills, mountains. And even if you detect them they can be pretty hard to remove... that's where the Arty and Flyboys come in.
critter

Post by critter »

ORIGINAL: Josh
You probably ran into an ambush because your unit (guessing here) was mostly armored, and with a low recon value? Inf, AT guns and such can be hidden very good in woods and hills, mountains. And even if you detect them they can be pretty hard to remove... that's where the Arty and Flyboys come in.

No its a planned event. Thats why they have you take off down that road. Its just a hard lesson to learn with your first unit in your first game.

Thanks Josh. U the Man.

Ps do all the varients play with ATG?
Josh

Post by Josh »

You mean if all the scen. are compatible with the latest version of ATG? Not quite sure... I think so but I haven't tried them all, far from it.
You might want to take a look also at Grymme's scenarios... [&o]

/edit

here: http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com/
critter

Post by critter »

Ok Been kicking this around. Playing a large map 3 AI player sen.

Couple of Q's.

1 How many trains do you put in each HQ?
2 How many trucks and how far can they strategic transfer?
3 Do you use your Supreme HQ as a combat HQ or just to pass supplies? I'm having major supply issues.
4 Whats the best way to stop the AI from infiltrating your lines with small units?
budd

Post by budd »

Hi There,

Don't know if you read the ATG guide yet. here's the download link, alot of questions answered and good info in there. The game designer wrote it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/files/Advanc ... yGuide.zip

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

1 How many trains do you put in each HQ?
Depends on a lot of settings, but if you are playing the default settings where you can assign your production to any HQ, and the production magically teleports to the HQ, then you don't need many trains at all. I usually disable that option.
2 How many trucks and how far can they strategic transfer?
Depends on terrain and what you are trying to do. Usually I just have a couple of trucks per HQ to help distribute units as needed. Id rather use what trucks I build to create mobile units.
3 Do you use your Supreme HQ as a combat HQ or just to pass supplies? I'm having major supply issues.
I always just leave it in my capitol and stockpile supplies there.
4 Whats the best way to stop the AI from infiltrating your lines with small units?
More small units, and feel free to retreat and reform a line somewhere that you can actually hold.

Let me know if you want to play a 1v1 sometime, you can have a handicap bonus. arinkleff@gmail.com
Josh

Post by Josh »

In addition to the above;

1) I build trains from the start and only in the Supreme HQ, and maybe a few other HQ's. Not the frontline HQ's. All things build and supply usually goes to the SHQ or a few others HQ's as the game develops and not to the frontline HQ's because that has the effect that their Exp. decreases fast. So a few trains in your SHQ is a great way to send new stuff to your local HQ's.

2) trucks same, a dozen or more in the SHQ, and a few in the local HQ's as well so your local HQ's can also Strategic Transfer some stuff. Be warned though that moving your trucks costs oil. The more you move, the more supply and oil you're using. Eventually it can grind down your army, as is what happened to the Germans quite a few times.... driving on gasfumes. So my choice in the beginning of the game is either foot or horses transport. Trust me, horses rule. Trucks and amoured transport is luxury.

3) The HQ you begin with, or the few HQ's you begin with, usually stay put, they become the SHQ's. That's where all the stuff and supply goes. The rest branches out from them, so you end up with a tree like structure (more or less). This all depends on open lines of comunication and supply lines... as soon as they are cut you're in trouble (as in you receive no supplies) and you need to set a few producing towns to deliver (if possible) their supply to the cut off HQ's.

4) yes you can build more small units to build a line, or retreat, *or* and that's my kind of playing... open the door, let your opponent see a weak spot and let him (or the AI) use it, make him send his troops into the gap that he thinks he can exploit and then spring the trap. Let him come and close the door, because you really don't want head to head bashing WWI style, you want encirclement and a sneaky attack in the back. Encircle, cut off, and bleed him dry. Having a few transport planes around to send supply to *your* cut off troops is a good idea too btw.
You'll notice that if you play against an AI that outproduces you and you try to stop it by building a solid line, all the AI does is build more and more untill finally it can break your wall. So you create a flexible line and let the AI come piecemeal to you, defeating his units a few at a time, thereby gaining Exp for your units as well.

Good luck.
critter

Post by critter »

Thx Guys. [&o]

Is there a setting that shows the Div number on the counters and not the combat strenght?
With trucks in the HQ, do you hit the transfer button or "load" the reinforcements and move the trucks to the units?

As soon as I get up to speed I'll pm you guys for a game. Nothing like learning as you get your ass kicked
british exil

Post by british exil »

Critter you can either transfer to other units. Or like I do build a new unit in same hex and transfer the new men there.

It is easier, your newly created unit then can gain XP as it moves toward the frontline.
Adding green troops to a veteran unit (Ehigh XP) will lower the units XP.

Transfer vet troops to depleted vet units and green to green.

If you have any questions, just ask. We will try to answer all of them.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: critter

Thx Guys. [&o]

Is there a setting that shows the Div number on the counters and not the combat strenght?
With trucks in the HQ, do you hit the transfer button or "load" the reinforcements and move the trucks to the units?

As soon as I get up to speed I'll pm you guys for a game. Nothing like learning as you get your ass kicked

Div number on the counter... not that I'm aware of. You can change however the name of the unit which is displayed in the lower bar. When created an unit gets a number, say 110th division. For game flavor you can change that to whatever you want by clicking on that number in the lower bar and change it. Same for HQ units. You can even change the HQ coloured bar by clicking on it, the subordinate units also then get that same colour. Handy for very active units... I give them brighter colours say red or blue.
Newly created units fresh from the barracks can get 40 exp max, they start with uhm 10 I think. In time that number increases to 40. Still very much unproven. With more and more combat and kills that number rises, especially HQ units and their staff gain a lot from a high exp. So keep your staff in your various HQ's at say 100 (or 150-200 for larger formations). By keeping that number and not giving that HQ more and more staff, the staff will get more and more experienced. A HQ level II with 75% exp rocks!
Same for your fighting units, say an unit has 70% exp... then be careful with adding new fresh troops (40 exp or less) to that unit because your precious exp will decrease *fast*.
Also Art units gain exp fast as they make a lot of kills, so stick with a certain max number, say 10. 2 tubes in an Arty unit doesn't do much damage/supression, 5 is decent, and 10 (with some exp) is a real killer.
Oh, and heavy guns can't be hauled by horses... I tried it, [8|] doesn't work LOL
Krafty

Post by Krafty »

Changing the color of HQs is the greatest feature ever. Id never thought it important before AT and ATG, but now I cant do without it. Every time I play WITE or ToaW3 I long for the ability to change HQ colors.

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
critter

Post by critter »

More Q's

Why do some units with 20 inf factors and 1 trk move at the wheel rate while others of the same make up move at the inf rate?
My Hq's have at least 4 trains each, yet show up as inmoble? No planes are in the HQ
2 units of the same make up shows truck on one unit and inf on the other?
Josh

Post by Josh »

More A's.

Are you certain that the movement rates are different? It's displayed in the unit counter in the lower half of your screen, and not on the counter itself on the map. So that counter may display a Inf but still be a truck concerning movement. You do realize that trucks only move fast in easy terrain, in hills and such they move at the same rate or even slower than Inf.

Most likely your HQ's have too much supply, that really can add a lot of weight. (you can transport that supply too with your Strategic Transfer capacity)

2 units of the same makeup can still show a different counter, that depends on when you put what in that unit. I forgot how it goes exactly, but put 20 Inf and then a armoured transport gives a inf display, if you put first the armoured transport  in the unit and *then* the Inf gives a armoured transport display. (or maybe it was the other way around). That has got me puzzled at first too, I saw some AAR's with armoured transport counters (way cool ofcourse, especially the black ones). Try placing *only*  an armoured transport in a counter, it will show a armoured transport unit. Then add some stuff to it, it will still stay that same armoured transport display up untill a certain point, then it will change to .... whatever you put in it, be it AT guns, mortars, MG guns. Same with an AT gun unit. Two AT guns will display an AT counter, add 20 or so inf and it will display an Inf counter.
critter

Post by critter »

Thanks Josh, I'm still struggling with tt. Seerms like a job sometimes.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Eleanor62

ImageYou probably ran into an ambush because your unit (guessing here) was mostly armored

Away with you evil spambot! [:@]
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: critter

Thanks Josh, I'm still struggling with tt. Seerms like a job sometimes.

Oh agreed, it can be a clickfest sometimes, but IMO it has a great advantage namely *you* as a player can decide what goes where. 100 Inf in three different units? Done. 2 AT guns and some MG's? Done. I do use the shortkeys for Strategic Transport though, much more convenient.
There has been discussion about unit templates recently. To avoid all the clicking involved when creating an unit, it was proposed to have the option of having "unit templates". Where you can decide what units you want as a template, then when you need them just click on it and bingo; there you have your Inf unit consisting of 35 Inf, 1 AT gun, 2 Inf guns, 5 MG's and 5 Mortars. Saves you a lot of clicks.
Maybe in a next patch or in AT 2??
Krafty

Post by Krafty »

IIRC It goes by unit strength for what it shows on the counter, the strongest SFT group will get pictured. Generally infantry when first built are pretty weak so they arent the dominate SFT in a unit. ATGs, or even trucks will take the top spot till they get some XP.

I think the threshold is right about 19-21 inf. Put 10 inf with 1 truck, itll show a truck, put 2 atgs with 10 inf, shows the atgs, put 5 mgs with 10 inf, shows the MG, put 100 inf with 5 mgs, shows the infantry.

As the inf gets readiness and XP it will usually take over as the counter picture, unless theres tanks or something really tough in there.

As for movement rates that shouldnt be happening, 20 guys and a truck should move just as fast as 19 guys and a truck, 7 guys and a truck, or another unit of 20 guys and a truck. Rail and terrian not calculated of course.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”