Third Reich 42-45 Axis PO

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

mike1984

Third Reich 42-45 Axis PO

Post by mike1984 »

I'm taking a break from my work on SBP. Lately I've gotten into this scenario. So I'm having a go at it against the Axis PO. I'll try to update my AAR here as much as possible. But if you're so inclined to follow along, check out a little corner of the internet I've roped off for my TOAW exploits.

Because You Are Bored...

Here's my Turn 2 (5/15/42) screen shot from the Kharkov offensive.

Attachments
051543EastKharkov.jpg
051543EastKharkov.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 196 times
mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 3, 22 May 42

Post by mike1984 »

A week (in game time) later, and things aren't going well. The Axis PO is much more aggressive than I've ever experienced before, but that could be because I haven't played all that much against the PO in the latest TOAWIII version. It's quite refreshing. I enjoy having to really think about my moves, and have a lump in my throat once in a while (such as North Africa this turn) waiting to see how the PO will move next.

NORTH AFRICA...

It's growing time to haul ass out of Tobruk. It sucks to give it up, but the Axis forces have struck quickly and fiercely. There was even a paradrop south of the airfields. That kind of caught me off guard, and badly destabilized my lines. What units I can muster up will be evacuated through the port of Tobruk, or eastbound along the coast road. In the seas north of the port, a rather sharp clash between battle groups and air squadrons is going on. The Italian fleet suffered severe losses, but was bailed out by Axis air power sinking half the British squadrons. Two battleships were lost in the confrontation, but the losses for the Italians are harder to replace.

EASTERN FRONT...

The offensive to capture Kharkov is rolling along, but not quickly enough for my tastes. Supply lines are stretching around the far side of the Axis pocket defenses, and I'm not sure how long I can sustain any sort of siege.If the Russians can't make significant progress over the next week or so, this might not offer the reward of capturing Kharkov before Turn 6 and the points.

My hope is that the 2nd Shock Army shipped down from the Leningrad Front will help push the Axis pocket out of the city long enough to plant the Red flag.
mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 5, 5 June 42

Post by mike1984 »

EASTERN FRONT...

Two turns later, Kharkov is still in the hands of the Germans. This is the final chance for me to take the city and get the points (must be taken by Turn 6), but I'm not sure I can do it in such a tight window. The Germans are massing west of the pocket, possibly for a counterattack. The operation might end up as just a costly breakthrough. At least I'll have a key city, and cause the Axis to shift forces from elsewhere to contain this push.

mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 6, 12 June 42

Post by mike1984 »

GLOBAL SITUATION...

British reinforcements are shipping from England to Egypt as fast as possible, setting up a defensive position west of Alexandria. The United States now has four divisions in England, but will not deploy for some time. The Russian front is holding, but there are a few weak spots that deserve attention this turn/week. Supply is stable, while enemy air strikes are being kept to a manageable level. A major offensive other than the Kharkov operation is likely

NORTH AFRICA...

Using PhotoScape has been fantastic for these AAR slides, and I just discovered the number stamps available. In the Tobruk slide below, you can see where (1) the British Med. Squadron destroyed the remnants of the Italian fleet north of the port; and (2) Lord Montgomery's headquarters is being caught up in the rush to evacuate eastward to Alexandria.

EASTERN FRONT...

By the end of this turn/week, Kharkov has been captured by the Red Army. However, it looks to be one turn too late for the points. Now the key will be finishing off the left overs inside the pocket, and preparing for any counter offensive. The Germans and Romanians to the south are causing quite the problem, as my lines are buckling quickly. I might have to pull some divisions down from the northern fronts.

mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 7, 19 June 42

Post by mike1984 »

NORTH AFRICA...

Tobruk is days away from falling to Afrika Korps, as most of the British army has displaced to El Alamein and Alexandria. It's unknown whether the Afrika Korps will press on toward Egypt, or hold in Libya. In front of El Alamein, the British I, V, and VIII Corps have formed a defensive line (1) anchored by the sea to the north, and Qattara Depression to the south. The X Corps is in reserve in El Alamein. Back near Alexandria, the XIII and XXX Corps are resting and refitting. The 2nd and 9th New Zealand Divisions are slated to arrive in the next week or two.

EASTERN FRONT...

The three-army force that captured Kharkov is now spread out too thin. And with lack of support on both flanks, there is the very real possibility of being sliced off (1) from the main defensive positions east of the river. This sector is a huge problem right now, as I begin contracting the forces back inward to Kharkov. Hopefully the Axis north and south of the salient don't attack to forcefully. But every time I hope for that, it's exactly what they do, as we see beginning south (2) of the salient.

ELSEWHERE...

Up west of Moscow, the bulge of Russian troops is being pressured pretty hard by German divisions. I'm thinking it best to just pull back. That bulge was serving no purpose anyway. Plus, it will save some divisions for elsewhere on the Eastern Front.
mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 8, 26 June 42

Post by mike1984 »

EASTERN FRONT...

ROSTOV...

The Germans have blown a hole in the line (1) near Slavyansk. The capture of the in-tact bridge there will allow the Germans easy supply of their offensive force. I'll have to bring down reinforcements from the northern sectors. Near Rostov (2) the Axis divisions are marching toward the makeshift defensive positions thrown up to hold the city as long as possible. I'm afraid this position will be untenable after a few waves of attacks. Finally, near Voroshilovgrad, there is relative stability (3) on the other side of the river. It could be that the Germans have focused their attacks elsewhere for now, so it's not likely it will remain this quiet.

RZHEV...

Meanwhile to the north, German divisions are collapsing the salient bulge between Velikie Luki and Rzhev. This is partly planned by me to allow my lines to give way. But I'd rather not give up this much ground this quickly.
mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 9, 3 July 42

Post by mike1984 »

KHARKOV & VOROSHILOVGRAD...

My biggest fear has been realized, in that the Germans have successfully cut the road (1) between Kharkov and the rest of the Russian armies to the east. I'm doubtful I can hold Kharkov without wasting the troops charged with the city's defense. The hole in the line (2) southeast of Kharkov is growing wider by the turn. It's not salvageable at this point. Nothing less than a full withdrawal is due. The Germans have also broken the line in other (3) spots.

RZHEV...

I've been able to pull back the 3rd Shock Army and what's left of the other armies, while leaving the rear guard to slow the German advance. This has been, overall, a successful retreat to a better defensive position. It should save men and resources later.
mike1984

TR 42-45 AXPO - Turn 11, 10 July 42

Post by mike1984 »

GLOBAL SITUATION...

The British in Egypt are holding, as are the remaining force at Tobruk. The South African troops of the X Corps have surprisingly held off all attacks. Though evacuation was still the correct move here. Meanwhile, in England, the Royal Airforce and US 8th Air Force are mounting a sustained bombing campaign against German industry and supply in the Ruhr Valley. Once the US ground divisions begin to arrive more steadily, a second front will become a more viable option.

EASTERN FRONT...

Shit's hitting the fan in Russia.

The Kharkov operation blew up in my face, in turn blowing up the entire southern third of the Eastern Front. Holding Rostov right now is key, as the Germans can't advance too much farther without taking the city. But if I can hold out a little while longer, it could wear down the Axis forces, preventing a quick offensive into the Caucuses... and the oil fields.
mike1984

On Hold

Post by mike1984 »

I'm putting this on hold. The new version of the PBEM came out, and Requiem72 and I will start up that one. I'm going to keep the AAR on my same blog, as well as mirror it here.

Return to “After Action Reports”