Routed units noob question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Kong Gulerod

Routed units noob question

Post by Kong Gulerod »

Hi all,

Just started playing again after I bought the game when it came out. I saw there where numorous updates and thought I would give it another go. I have done a few smaller scenarios, and it has spawned a few questions.

1. Which is best as german in June/July 41. Rout units or encircle unit and rout them next turn?
I have the feeling that when I rout enemy units, they just "get send away to fight another day" so to speak. Is it just me?

2. When a enemy unit has been routed, and is sent to some town behind the enemy lines, and you encounter them again. WHat is best. Rout them again, or overrun them?

I hope you can answer, and that I am not to noob. :-)

/Kong
When in doubt: Attack! Attack! Attack!
Disgruntled Veteran

RE: Routed units noob question

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Personally I like to encircle and destroy. Some however I've seen like to rout because it destroys TOE and keeps the same division at low morale. If they are encircled and killed they can rebuild behind the lines and be far more fearsome later on because of higher morale. I think this game is largely about morale. Test and see I guess.
AFV

Post by AFV »

Kong Gulerod

Post by Kong Gulerod »

Thank you both very much. Great link [:)]

When in doubt: Attack! Attack! Attack!
usersatch

Post by usersatch »

Once I learned this "trick" (waiting an extra turn for surrender), I noticed two things...first, sometimes I can get units to surrender only when they surrounded by the enemy in a closed circle (all adjacent hexes occupied) and other times I can get units to surrunder when every other hex is occupied, a "dashed" closed circle of sorts. Is there a rule of thumb on when/how each scenario occurs?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

They surrender rather than rout as long as they were isolated at start of German turn
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
randallw

Post by randallw »

A rebuilt unit may start with morale higher than it's dead predecessor, but the experience level will start at a low number, not much different from the dead unit.
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Don't let either surrender or rout opportunities distract you from your strategic and operational objectives. Same for HQ and airbase displacing. Never waste an Axis MP. If you are going to rout rout rout and push forward do it. If you are going to do huge pockets, do it. If you are going going for ARM and POP kills do it. BTW, I always get distracted :)
Zonso

Post by Zonso »

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

Don't let either surrender or rout opportunities distract you from your strategic and operational objectives. Same for HQ and airbase displacing. Never waste an Axis MP. If you are going to rout rout rout and push forward do it. If you are going to do huge pockets, do it. If you are going going for ARM and POP kills do it. BTW, I always get distracted :)

Good advice! I find myself getting caught up in little opportunities as they present themselves and losing sight of the big picture occasionally, or maybe regularly! :) I think though getting pockets and surrenders will serve you better in the long run.
Gertrude73

Post by Gertrude73 »

ImageThank you both very much. Great link

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”