Anyone got some info on how the scoring works ?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

PKH

Anyone got some info on how the scoring works ?

Post by PKH »

I'm playing SP III, btw but I guess it would be similar as waw.
I feel the scoring is so unfair, and it takes so few losses to just get a minor victory.
F.ex. a game I just played:
183 men lost vs 1800 for the enemy. 16 arty vs 36 arty (I guess this is the reason), 12 afvs vs 146 avfs (I guess this represents men lost in tanks etc). Final score ~16000 vs ~2700, minor victory. Artillery losses must weigh a lot in the final score it seems.
Is there any info on how the scoring is calculated ?
planner 3

RE: Anyone got some info on how the scoring works ?

Post by planner 3 »

PKH: 1st comment, ur score is great, (see pg 74 of Manual).As for scoring you get the cost value of the unit killed + any crew + points for a complete kill (Ie: total crew kiled). If any crew escapes you don't get last bonus. NOw as for the remainder of the scoring.

........it has been an ongoing question/problem/vexation in SPwaw community as to how the game actually computes score ??????? I'll bet its the same in SP III.
If your satisfied you won, you won.

sorry can't be of more help, many a great mind has tried to explain scoring but none as ever hit the target, close BUT NO BULLSEYE.

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
PKH

Post by PKH »

I've seen that the score is supposed to be just adding up damaged and destroyed units plus victory locations. In the case I wrote about, my core units were worth 2600 pts, plus ~1000 support. I had all the victory locations, and the ai still got ~2700 pts for just a few units killed, so there must be some kind of multiplier for the different units for him to get that score. This was played through the campaign generator, and I've seen the value of victory locations vary. It's possible he got points per turn for victory locations he held, if that can happen in the generated campaign.

I've read that the source code was released, but haven't been able to find it to check the formulas for myself. I know matrix bought the rights to it, so maybe it's no longer available.

Edit: It seems the final score can vary a lot with similar results and core unit values, so I wonder if maybe there is a randomized multiplier for unit losses.
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

PKH: The scoring of the SPwaw and SP III have been hassssshed over and over on these forums in the past and NO-ONE not even MATRIX could come up with a satifactory answer. As far as I understand the Source code is not available, at least for SPwaw, as for SP III ????? If you ever find it you'll go down in history, at least in this forum. Should you find the source code solve my problem please......make the tanks have a reverse gear, I'm tired of having my rear end shot out from under me......Good hunting
Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

Final score ~16000 vs ~2700, minor victory.
That gives you a ratio of about 6 to 1.

Decisive Victory reguires 8 to 1 ratio I think. So something like 16000 vs 2000 would give you that.
(You can calculate this by dividing your points with the points your enemy gets.)

The score is calculated based on the unit type, experience and purchase cost. So you could loose a single expensive unit and it could cost you more than the enemy losing 10 cheap tanks. In any case you would have to inflict 8 times the damage to your enemy to balance the score so you get a decisive victory.

There should not be any randomization in the score calculations although it can be abit complicated at times to figure out.
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Rosallia have you by any means solved the complexity of the scoring of SPwaw ? Many have tried, but none have succeeded,some came close but

"This message is sent in an attempt at light humor"[8D][:D]
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

There was a good spreadsheet for 2 player games done by someone at the blitz sight many years ago, which worked very well by calculating casualties and objectives held. You just typed in the score and number of flags held and it calculated a much more reasonable result and drastically reduced the amount of draws awarded. I was very happy with it for 2 player games, might still have it somewhere.
Cross

Post by Cross »

Here's my understanding:

You score points for each turn you control a V-Hex (equal to the value of the V-Hex).
You score points for damage and destruction of the enemy (equal to the value of the unit destroyed, or the value of the damage).
You lose points for your own losses and damage.

End Result
If you get a 8:1 ratio or greater you score a Decisive Victory.
If you get 2:1 ratio or greater you score a Minor Victory.
Anything less than 2:1 is a draw.

Cross
Cross
Conduct youself with honour, and there is victory even in defeat.
Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

You score points for each turn you control a V-Hex (equal to the value of the V-Hex).

Only if the victory hex is set as a points per turn V-Hex. Otherwise you score the value of the Victory hex at the end of the game. That is if you still control it at the end of the game.
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

I will state once more that THERE IS NO COMPLETE/CORRECT ANSWER as to how the scores are computed in SPwaw. There is an old and very drawn out thread somewhere in the archives of this Forum in which the gurus of SPwaw tested, twisted, argued and cajoled but never was a satisfactory or correct answer available, Yeah there were some that looked correct then when they were tested....they failed the acid test. VARIABLES in the scoring system prevail.

Their are two possible HEROs for this game. The one who can make the tanks REVERSE and the second is the guy that can solve the scoring problems. There might be a third hero the one who breaks the code.

Unfortunately when SSI let MATRIX have this game they didn't give them access to the scoring probs, and in my opinion MATRIX can't, will not spend time or money on a free game to sove scoring. Play it and enjoy it, if you believe you won, by Geoffrey you WON.

I don't mean to be harsh, but there is no correct answer.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”