Just for FUN WW2 Picture Quiz

Time of Fury spans the whole war in Europe and gives players the opportunity to control all types of units, ground, air and naval. Not only that, each player will be able to pick a single country or selection of countries and fight his way against either the AI or in multiplayer in hotseat or Play by E-Mail. This innovative multiplayer feature will give player the chance to fight bigger scenarios against many opponents, giving the game a strategic angle that has no equal in the market. The game uses Slitherine’s revolutionary PBEM++ server system.

Moderator: doomtrader

JLPOWELL

Just for FUN WW2 Picture Quiz

Post by JLPOWELL »

There is a Quiz Thread on the WiF forum, but I don't see much crossover in membership (by posts) between the two. I thought we would try something similar except using images to make it harder the Google the answers... I will start it off with three posts.

Topic is WW2 Trivia
Theme is images part of the question
Extra credit if its funny[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Points awarded using the well documented and consistent method used on WLIIA but count twice as much...[:D]
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
JLPOWELL

RE: Just for FUN WW2 Picture Quiz

Post by JLPOWELL »

What was used here? Hint it was much brighter slightly louder and only a little heaver than Rush Limbaugh

Attachments
Trivia4.jpg
Trivia4.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 399 times
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

What is this for and did it work? Hint like a stone...[;)]

Attachments
Trivia2.jpg
Trivia2.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 399 times
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Where is this? And what is the "Famous Quote" associated with it?

Attachments
Trivia.jpg
Trivia.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

1 not 3, not sure.
Radar and an island looks too Green for the Pacific

2 is a secret weapon deployed by amphibous craft to destroy tank traps barbed wire etc...
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Sorry about the artifact on the image the red and yellow are just pointers from Google Earth. And re number 2, it was a secret weapon but not deployed by amphibious craft...
Razz1

Post by Razz1 »

I have seen similar devices dropped by planes for the same reason as listed above, however it does look small like the rollers used on Sherman tanks to destroy mines.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

It is a tricky one; it doesn't look like what it is... (very non characteristic shape for the function) the cinder blocks give a bit of scale. It may help to say its complete in the picture no extra doodads needed or hanging off it.
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

It is a tricky one; it doesn't look like what it is... (very non characteristic shape for the function) the cinder blocks give a bit of scale. It may help to say its complete in the picture no extra doodads needed or hanging off it.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Gosh,

maybe something easier as a starter?
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

No2 - Dambusters bouncing bomb
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

These aren't as hard as you might think All three made HUGE headlines when they occurred

A few more hints however...

1# The picture is a City and the the hint is REALLY useful (but in a crossword puzzle kind of way). (North is at the bottom of the image (but that probably doesn't help much)

#2 is a weapon which did massive damage for its size BTW someone on the other forum nailed this one just a few minutes after I posted it...

#3 references one of the most famous quotes of the entire war.

Can't have them too easy whats the fun in that[:D][>:] I bet they all get solved in a day or so[8D]

I hope a few others post some
ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Gosh,

maybe something easier as a starter?
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Here is another:

This pictures the scene a battle between Poles and Germans which like so many had a tragic ending for the Poles ... a most heroic effort. The brave, the just and the right are not always rewarded with victory.

Attachments
triviapolishbattle.jpg
triviapolishbattle.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 399 times
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

CORRECT !!! Just two hits on the Möhnesee dam breached it causing massive damage. The bombs needed to be spun then dropped from a precise low altitude.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
ORIGINAL: Wolfe

No2 - Dambusters bouncing bomb

Attachments
Trivia Answer 2.jpg
Trivia Answer 2.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

No. 3 "I shall return" MacArthur?
Given Island Size, pacific theatre; Pulau?
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Corregidor is the island, though I am not sure what the red mark indicates. I don't think it's Malinta tunnel, which would be where the "head" of the tadpole meets the "tail", more or less, IIRC.

"I shall return" ... though I'm not sure Dugout Doug actually said it there ... a quick check on Wikipedia and it turns out it was said at a RR siding in South Australia [:)]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Paul,
Full score... I said 'associated with it' Needed the quote and the distinctive tadpole shape to make it work. Sorry about the Red and yellow stuff thats actually taken from another one of my posts it is just one end of the Google Earth measurement... I should have used a clean shot it caused a lot of confusion LOL[:D]
ORIGINAL: aspqrz

Corregidor is the island, though I am not sure what the red mark indicates. I don't think it's Malinta tunnel, which would be where the "head" of the tadpole meets the "tail", more or less, IIRC.

"I shall return" ... though I'm not sure Dugout Doug actually said it there ... a quick check on Wikipedia and it turns out it was said at a RR siding in South Australia [:)]

Phil

Attachments
TriviaMacarthur.jpg
TriviaMacarthur.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Don't know the answers to the other questions so thought I'd post a couple of my own.

1) <-------- Points to his avatar - What is the name of this unit? Hint: Active in India, Burma and China pursuing "the ungentlemanly side of warfare" and part of an arm of service tasked with "setting Europe ablaze"

2) What is this? Hint: Would have been used by 1)

Attachments
IMG_5595.jpg
IMG_5595.jpg (17.53 KiB) Viewed 399 times
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

The unit is no doubt the SOE the device no doubt something which would cause harm in an underhanded fashion (it looks familiar from a visit to the Spy Museum a while back but I can't think of what it is.

Those guys were Hard Core I think I read some volunteered to be entombed in concrete to 'stay behind' at Gibraltar if it was taken.
ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Don't know the answers to the other questions so thought I'd post a couple of my own.

1) <-------- Points to his avatar - What is the name of this unit? Hint: Active in India, Burma and China pursuing "the ungentlemanly side of warfare" and part of an arm of service tasked with "setting Europe ablaze"

2) What is this? Hint: Would have been used by 1)

Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

That was quick.

Correct on number 1) specifically Force 316 SOE (my father's unit)though insignia were at best somewhat unofficial so SOE is the correct answer.

2) Something used in an underhanded fashion is in a very literal sense correct as well - British SOE assassin’s wrist dagger or dart designed to be concealed under the sleeve.

Here is what it looks like out of the scabbard

Attachments
IMG_5596.jpg
IMG_5596.jpg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 399 times

Return to “Time of Fury”