Master of Orion 2 Modification - Legends - RELEASED

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

TomFrame

RE: Master of Orion 2 Modification - Legends

Post by TomFrame »

ran into a small problem, could not find certain ships in master of orion 2 core.

Fixed now, but I am still lacking a few.
Every man is a prisoner of his own mind
-me
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

ORIGINAL: TomFrame

ran into a small problem, could not find certain ships in master of orion 2 core.

Fixed now, but I am still lacking a few.

Which ones are you missing?

TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Still searching through the lbx archives for the freighters, having another go later today.

That still doesnt add up to all the civillian ships I need.
Or bombers(I'll probably use some frigate ships for that though)

Also there is only 8 ship Designs in Moo2 - which mean I will have to limit them and group them.
Humanoid, Machine (more machine races now), Reptilian ... these groups will all be assigned a ship Design.
Limits mean that of all the humanoid races out there, I will cut the designs depending on how many races there are within the family.

Cutting Designs  will be done mostly on intuition, but based on race family.
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

system names are done.

Guessing it is more than DW has.
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Testing the sounds in the game:

When you construct a wonder the research completed theme plays
-||-         discover something (ship\base,base) the GNN theme plays
-||-         engage in diplomacy, music plays depending on the mood of the other empire, threatning, neutral or good.
-||-         engage with pirates through diplomatic means, music plays (menacing) which is also from moo2.
When a race\planet enters an event (perhaps only planet, forgot) the ground combat theme starts playing.
When you discover, say, an independant colony - the ship design screen theme plays.
And of course, all Moo2 tracks are played in the background, menu music, race music and battle music. (all random unfortunately)

some sounds are unfortunately bugged, but it's nothing I can't fix

As for the sound-effects:

Many effects are replaced: Stellar converters becomes area weapons, ion weapons becomes ion cannon, torpedoes are now (perfectly) revamped, missiles are changed... Menu buttons are replaced with classic moo2 sounds, alarm sound changed to Drive Detonation sound in moo2 (self destruct), hyperjumps are changed (the major sound change).
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

And this time, the first release will be coming - SOON!
Soon equals WITHIN THIS WEEK...

-promise.

Would be grateful if you guys could throw me some suggestions, critique...

And please tell me if you like it - if it falls short - I'll stop and focus on something else.
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Just something I thought of...

When adding characters I will use both the heroes in moo2 and my own ones.

Most of the characters will be (if possible) defined pre-game so that when you have played a couple of times (if the mod ever gets that fun) you know when, who and what about the characters. This will allow you to assasinate key targets and plan on certain strategies. Making humans getting the powerful leaders is a must. The other races will also get good characters, but much later and always a step behind the charismatic humans.

Also a small side-note - the REGULAR STANDARD DEFAULT HUMANS IN DISTANT WORLDS are now called:

Terran(s)
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Released

Version 1.0 sees the day, Monday 27th of February 2012
-me
greywolf1

Post by greywolf1 »

Starkiller: Regarding MOO3, it’s probably hard to find a “fair” review of MOO3, as it is today. MOO3 bashing seems to be “en vogue”, but I guess very few of the bashers have had a real look at it.
By “as it is today”, I mean MOO3 plus one of the user mods like Chocolate or Tropical. Both mods contain significant gameplay and AI enhancements plus higher res graphics - mod descriptions and downloads should be easy to find. If you are interested in reading about the core changes of both mods, go there: http://bhruic.dyndns.org/patcher/ - Bhruics patch collection is probably THE foundation for today’s MOO3.
I understand that MOO3 isn’t for everyone, and it’s quite different from MOO2. All 3 MOO’s are on my hard disk, I still play all of them occasionally, and my personal preference is MOO3, followed by MOO1, then MOO2. Just my personal attitude.
Why don’t you try it yourself? Install it, get Tropical or Chocolate (doesn’t really matter which, Tropical is probably easier to get used to, initially - not easier to play), too, and start playing. There will be a learning curve, don’t expect a beefed-up version of MOO2. You have to decide how much micro-management is good for you (ranging from a lot, really a lot, to very little).
If you want a tough game, set difficulty to Impossible, choose a small galaxy with lots of opponents. Play one of the more “exotic” races like the Ithkul. There are also some ways to make your life harder by tweaking AI settings using Bhruic’s patches.
Good luck and have fun!
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

I can not understand why people would prefer MOO3 over MOO2 - the second game had art, music, affection, strategy, great deal of tech, loyalty to many sci-fi concepts(stargates, warp dissipator, torpedoes, BOARDING, shields), easy navigation, balanced micromanagement, no starlines or forced wormholes... not to mention you really felt the colonies effect, the new technologies effect and could watch everything you made with satisfaction through combat, menu interfaces (with great art and UI), sounds...

However, there are many people like you that like the 3rd game. Some even claim the game is playable (with or without patches). Clearly there is some sort of personal preferance that differate from me and many others.

Anyway - please give me feedback on the modification if you can - this IS the first time I am modding :\
-me
greywolf1

Post by greywolf1 »

TomFrame: First of all, thanks for your MOO mod! Creates a familiar atmosphere and is nice to play.

Don't expect me to say anything negative about MOO2. It's a matter of personal attitudes and playing styles. I'm not a micro-manager per se - avoid it as long as possible, do it when I can't progress without. MOO3 supports this playing style better than MOO2.
But comparing different games is problematic anyway. Very often you end up blaming one game for lacking something another game has. I tend to play without comparing (as far as possible). Either I like it or I don't. I like MOO3, you don't - no problem, as far as I'm concerned.

"Some even claim the game is playable". Yeah, how comes? I myself don't claim it - I do play it, with fun and without any problems. Have you ever tried Tropical or Chocolate yourself? If yes, what do you mean by saying (more or less explicitly) that they are unplayable?
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

I get an unhandled exception when trying to switch to your mod. It says" Error at line 48 reading file D:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\Master2t\biases.txt"
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

ORIGINAL: Awaras

I get an unhandled exception when trying to switch to your mod. It says" Error at line 48 reading file D:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\Master2t\biases.txt"

This is very odd - error 48 is the Trilarian domain. I can't see anything wrong with it nor the relation between race and bias. You do have the last patch and expansion?

@Greywol1
Sorry to talk poorly about the game - it's true I have never tried it and it is wrong for me to spread rumors. What I meant with uplayable is because the general rumor about the game comes in the form that it is unplayable in form of balance, User Interface and AI. However I can't really say anything without having tried it - sorry.

I'm happy to know you like the mod though. [:)]
-me
Awaras

Post by Awaras »

ORIGINAL: TomFrame
ORIGINAL: Awaras

This is very odd - error 48 is the Trilarian domain. I can't see anything wrong with it nor the relation between race and bias. You do have the last patch and expansion?

I have the latest public beta patch for Legends (v1.7.0.10)
I have heavily modded many files in the installation folder however, so that might be causing a problem? I'll try making a clean install when I have the time.
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

If you play as Alkari , the troop transport is an example of ships to come.
You have to manually construct it though, since the Alkari by default chooses to build small amounts (%) of troop transports.
-me
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

I have stopped working on it, if anyone is still interested let me know and I'll see what I can do...
-me
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you![8D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Does that mean I should resume modding?
-me
Igard

Post by Igard »

Hey Tom, Good work on this so far!

Forum activity is very low right now, which I'm sure you've realised yourself. Also, don't forget the lurkers, of which I believe there are many. The number of hits to posts ratio on this thread is pretty telling. 2330 to 37 at the time I'm writing this.

I'd like to see you keep at it. Things will pick sooner or later and it would be nice to have some mods for folks returning to the game. We really do need more mods available.

It's up to you, I know it's a balance of personal life against having fun and justifying having your fun. Is it all worth it? That's the question.

I'll stop rambling. Good luck man! [:)]
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

I agree with Igard.  I hope you don't give up on this one.

Sooner or later I look forward to trying out this mod.  I think it is a great initiative and something that many people will be interested about in the longer term.  (Like me they may not be currently playing DW but will again.)

No need to rush if you have other interests but please keep at it as an ongoing project. 

Return to “Design and Modding”