Can you build up Soviet brigades?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

AFV

Can you build up Soviet brigades?

Post by AFV »

I know, per the rules, yes: (please read on)
7.5.3.1. Soviet Buildup and Breakdown Availability
Rifle Division (22 June 41): Two or more rifle brigades can buildup into a rifle division. Note that Soviet rifle divisions may not breakdown into brigades. Naval brigades cannot buildup into divisions. See below for buildup of airborne brigades.

Yet, in my game (v 1.06), its Dec '41 and I cannot get them to build up.
I can build up Cav Divs to Corps, but for some reason, I cannot build up rifle brigades to divisions.
They are not naval brigades. Is there some other unwritten requirement for buildup (x amount of MP, leader die roll, start the turn in the same hex, etc)?

I am not trying to merge, I am choosing the buildup button on the Map Information tab (also tried shortcut key b). F1 for movement is chosen. Both brigades belong to STAVKA.
I have a ton of AP (over 400). The two units are the 40th Rifle Brigade and the 30th Rifle Brigade (I've tried several others, both stacks of two and stacks of 3). TOE and moral are roughly 85 / 50 for both.

I am sure its something idiot stupid I am doing/not doing and the answer will sting, but I gotta ask anyways. I will appreciate any answer.
typhoon

RE: Can you build up Soviet brigades?

Post by typhoon »

I had same problem apparently the date is wrong and you got to wait till march or may of 1942
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

See the updated manual on page 299 under 1.03 beta 2 changes, number 3.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
AFV

Post by AFV »

Thanks Denniss/typhoon.
I need to remember checking all the changes, since many of them are yet to be incorporated into the manual.

3. Restricted Soviet Rifle brigades so they can’t merge into Rifle Divisions prior to May-1942.

comsolut

Post by comsolut »

And it says two or more?

Which is better two?

Or more? Do you get an over-strength division with three or if only use two an understrength division?

Or does it just affect how fast it comes up to 100% TOE?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

From an AP standpoint, 2 is better. From a replacement standpoint 3 is better. So it will depend on what you consider to be the most constraining factor. I regard APs as the bigger constraining factor than replacements. Additionally, divisions built from 3 brigades will often be considerably overstrength, whereas two full strength rifle brigades are not far short of a full rifle division.

WitE Alpha Tester
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

Thanks!
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Just to add to flavs alrdy excellent answer. Since u can make corps with 2 divs + 1 bde or 3 divs. U see the same thing there. "25" vs "30" AP corps, vs lower starting str/understrengthed post 10/42 OOB russian corps. Making corps pre 10/42 u prolly wouldnt be understrengthed with 2 divs and a bde.

Kind Regards,

Rasmus
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

Also thanks [:)]

Return to “The War Room”