Opponents moves

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Edfactor

Opponents moves

Post by Edfactor »

Will you get a list or reply or something of your opponents moves? Because of the pan and scan way of looking at the map, I can see missing something important like a para trooper and a longrange ATR or a marine division moved somewhere on a cruiser.
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Opponents moves

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Edfactor

Will you get a list or reply or something of your opponents moves? Because of the pan and scan way of looking at the map, I can see missing something important like a para trooper and a longrange ATR or a marine division moved somewhere on a cruiser.
I am not sure how to handle that.

There are conflicting demands on what appears on a player's screen: (1) he might want to see what his opponent sees, or (2) he might want to be examining something else and not be interrupted. There is also the problem of when several people are making moves on the opposing side, which major power's move do you see?

My original intent was to enable a 'replay' of moves, but that feature has been moved onto the ever-growing wish list for the future.

Anything that creates a land combat isn't going to be missed since there is the decision about notional units which precedes other possible responses by the non-phasing side (e.g., shore bombardment and ground support). Also, all impending land combats are indicated graphically.

But as for your opponent sneaking units around by sea, I have no ready solution.

Attachments
OpponentM..262012.jpg
OpponentM..262012.jpg (465.15 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

There are conflicting demands on what appears on a player's screen: (1) he might want to see what his opponent sees, or (2) he might want to be examining something else and not be interrupted. There is also the problem of when several people are making moves on the opposing side, which major power's move do you see?

My original intent was to enable a 'replay' of moves, but that feature has been moved onto the ever-growing wish list for the future.

Anything that creates a land combat isn't going to be missed since there is the decision about notional units which precedes other possible responses by the non-phasing side (e.g., shore bombardment and ground support). Also, all impending land combats are indicated graphically.

But as for your opponent sneaking units around by sea, I have no ready solution.

Ahh... The fog of war appearing...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Vassal has a preference setting that is "Center on Opponent's moves?". If turned on, then the map moves to where the opponent is doing something. It does not constantly re-center (that would be annoying), but only shifts and centers on it if what he does is off-screen.

Personally I leave that setting off because it seems to drag me off somewhere right when I'm concentrating or examining part of the map and would rather not be interrupted. I think the only fix for this is to take some time to look over the board before your own next move.

Also sitting and watching every single move of your opponent can get quite boring quite quickly, especially if they can't make up their mind for awhile and are using the "undo" function a lot. At least with MWiF you won't have to worry about them forgetting a weather zone is mud and making a bunch of moves off-screen that are illegal.
Paul
yesman68

Post by yesman68 »

Sounds to me like fog of war without any need for artificial fog of war rules. Personally I don't see any need for a replay of opponent moves. Players simply need to be vigilant in reviewing the map.

Dan
Harold251

Post by Harold251 »

I am not sure how to handle thatImage
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

How about a way to highlight specific (important) unit types so that they show up (e.g. a bright blip) on very high level map settings. Specifically, I'm thinking PARA, MAR, AMPH (or TRANS without Amhpib rule) units.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

How about a way to highlight specific (important) unit types so that they show up (e.g. a bright blip) on very high level map settings. Specifically, I'm thinking PARA, MAR, AMPH (or TRANS without Amhpib rule) units.
Actually, that I believe is the solution - and it doesn't involve any work by me.

The Units Review form lets a player locate all units of a specific type, as shown in these screenshots.

Attachments
FindingUn..282012.jpg
FindingUn..282012.jpg (419.86 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Excellent!!! Can't wait until the summer to see this game.

Return to “World in Flames”