Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
pditty8811

Post by pditty8811 »

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/close-co ... review.htm

What do you think?
bairdlander2

RE: Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

Post by bairdlander2 »

I like the comments,so true,so very true
xe5

Post by xe5 »

but anyone can tell the strategic map wasn’t the main focus, and thus can’t be fairly compared to the popular strategy interfaces of the most renowned strategy games. The bread-and-butter of the Close Combat series was always the tactical map, and this is where most of the player’s time will be spent. Until the developers try to venture outside of their comfort zone, the strategic aspect of these games will remain unimportant and therefore unattractive.

Or, as one Atomic employee put it - the strategic layer is like playing checkers in between games of chess on the tactical maps. So much untapped potential...sigh
xe5

Post by xe5 »

I personally feel that it should be offered for lower price than that of a newly published design. A price of $49.99 for a boxed version from the Matrix Games Website, or $39.99 for a download, seems steep for a remake.
Gamers are going to wait a looong time for half-price sales on the CC re-issues. Lower price points might encourage a new CC audience.
There is no question the series has made some great classics available again, and it has an outstanding fan base, but in my opinion a game should do more than ride on past success and former glory. I’m saying this because I’m a concerned customer. I’d like to finish by inviting Slitherine/Matrix Games to adventure beyond the frontier, perhaps leading the wargame genre into the realm of cutting-edge graphics and revolutionary ideas.
That 'outstanding fan base' has offered up beaucoup 'revolutionary ideas' over the years. One drawback to 'cutting-edge graphics' is that modmen would need to be cutting-edge artists.

c'est moi ~ N.Buonaparte
Platoon_Michael

Post by Platoon_Michael »

The overall look of the Strategic Map in this game is "Absolutely HORRIBLE"
It's as if someone had copied a page from a book and made the worst possible resizing experiment to get it to fit on the screen.

Add the UGLY UI Graphics and the Girly Soldiers to that list as well.

With the exception of the Red/Green overlays the Strategic Map in WAR however is very nicely done,so I have to ask.............What happened?

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”