Enslave/Resettle Confusion

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

WoodMan

Enslave/Resettle Confusion

Post by WoodMan »

Help!

It says in the Galactopedia:
Resettle
Actively migrate these races away from the colony to other colonies that will accept them. Passenger ships will pick up these races from the colony.

If you have enabled the empire policy setting "Use Penal Colonies to implement Enslave policy" then these unwanted races will be migrated to Penal colonies for enslavement there.

Enslave
Enslaves these races, forcing them into hard labor. When a race is enslaved at a colony it’s growth rate will be zero.

For each race that you enslave, the corresponding empires of those races will take offense at your actions. The amount of offense is directly related to the population amount that you enslave.

Enslavement also provides a bonus to the colony's economy. The amount of the bonus depends on the proportion of the total population that is enslaved, up to a maximum of 50% if all of the population is enslaved.

If you have enabled the empire policy setting "Use Penal Colonies to implement Enslave policy" then some of your colonies will automatically be set as Penal Colonies (policy set to Enslave). Your other colonies with policy set to Resettle will migrate their unwanted races to the Penal colonies for enslavement.

What happens if I have not chosen "Use Penal Colonies to implement Enslave policy", but I have manually set one planet to "Enslave". Will it resettle the races to the slave world, or will it only enslave the current population and not send more slaves there, resettling them to other worlds instead.

Also, what happens if you have Resettle on all planets, will it resettle them to another Empire? Because this appears to be the default setting for Haakonish who I'm playing now. I'm just not sure if I need to create a single world to accept the other aliens or if it will handily ship them off to the empire next door.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Igard

RE: Enslave/Resettle Confusion

Post by Igard »

No idea, buddy. But I would like to know this also.

Running a xenophobic, ruthless, star empire isn't as simple as it used to be...
Shadow Tiger

Post by Shadow Tiger »

No kidding! Whaddaya mean you're upset I'm enslaving your people? I was already here, they just happened to show up and step into those slave collars. It's not my fault they like doing hard labor for no gain. Maybe you should have offered them a better benefits package. Or maybe warned them about straying onto the neighbors planets.

*wanders off singing* It's my work force. I'll enslave if I want to, enslave if I want to. You'd enslave too if they came over to you.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

When you set a planet to enslave it no longer reproduces the slave race but it does allow for more to migrate to that planet. The resettle setting seem to move all but 1m of the resettling race off to what ever planet that are set to enslave/assmeliate.

To asnwer your question, if you are not using forced penal colony setting then yes, those races can be sent to any planet that will accept them.

the penal colony setting forces them to be sent to that planet.

The only way to prevent other races from migrating to your worlds is to set them to do not accept. now if you do that with ships in route full of a race, it seems that there is a bug that will allow that ship to dump it's cargo onto that planet since it started the trip before you changed that settings.

I set all my planets to default to do not accept and change them to whatever settings I deem later.

There ssems to be a problem that you can not remove a race completely from a planet through resettling. I also do not understand why a race would migrate themselves to a planet set to slavary. Your own race will migrate to enemy slave worlds also.

The borders need to be tighter, races should not migrate outside your empire or into your empire unless a migration treaty is signed.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

What we need to do is build a fence on the border!
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

ORIGINAL: Dracus

I also do not understand why a race would migrate themselves to a planet set to slavary. Your own race will migrate to enemy slave worlds also.

I believe that what is meant is that the races do not migrate themselves to a planet set to slavery, but rather the private sector is somehow being paid (presumedly by your government (by whom else?), although in-game no cash is deducted for that) for loading that race up (presumedly under heavy armed presence) into privately owned prisoner-transport ships and carting them off to slavery against their will. It's about as voluntary as Treblinka, Dachau or Auschwitz.

I have never noticed my own population migrating off to enemy slave worlds, but if they are doing that, that seems to be a tremendous bug.
chrisianak15

Post by chrisianak15 »

Happens all the time here on earth. People are sold by their families, kidnapped, or promised a better life, then sent off into slavery. Ironically the slave trade is more prolific now than when it was legal. Makes a lot of people a lot of money. Without serious involvement by large, well organized, motivated, powerful organizations with community support (read: not likely to happen in most societies as private organizations won't have the power and governments wont have the trust) it doesn't seem likely to end in the near future.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Thanks Dracus.

@chrisianak15, Sadly true, but in this case it's definately some kind of bug if the empire isn't getting paid for these slaves to migrate to another empire. If my slaves were just wandering off to another empire's slave mines, I'd be pretty peeved! And my slaves aren't for sale unless I say so, and at my price! [:D]
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

All I know is early game if I met two races such as the rats and the dinos and I have a planet in my empire that is near the rats but has dinos on it. I can set that planet to slavery and after a bit, I will slave rats living there also. This really does a neg hit on my rep with the rats even though I did not request rat slaves to be gathered up or nor did I discover a hidden rat city on that planet.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

What we need to do is build a fence on the border!

Well don't leave it up to the U.S. Gov or you will end up with what they build between texas and Mexico.
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

ORIGINAL: Igard

If my slaves were just wandering off to another empire's slave mines, I'd be pretty peeved! And my slaves aren't for sale unless I say so, and at my price! [:D]

<steps away from Igard....slowly> ..........(ts ts ts.....what a cruel guy this fellow)
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

When you set a planet to enslave it no longer reproduces the slave race but it does allow for more to migrate to that planet. The resettle setting seem to move all but 1m of the resettling race off to what ever planet that are set to enslave/assmeliate.

I'd consider that another bug. It's probably something he put in to prevent populations from being completely exterminated due to plagues, etc - and it's resulting in unsightly littering of planets with unwanted populations.
I set all my planets to default to do not accept and change them to whatever settings I deem later.

How? There's a way to set "default immigration policies"?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” &#8213; Christopher Hitchens
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

How? There's a way to set "default immigration policies"?

After you start the game, you can go to empire settings and half way down you can change the default policies for the empire. All new colonies will use that setting. You ahve to change your homeworld your self. You can also have it auto que up a spaceport and a troop. The troop que up does not always work though.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

After you start the game, you can go to empire settings and half way down you can change the default policies for the empire. All new colonies will use that setting. You ahve to change your homeworld your self. You can also have it auto que up a spaceport and a troop. The troop que up does not always work though.

Cheers! Hadn't really paid much attention to that screen.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” &#8213; Christopher Hitchens
Theluin

Post by Theluin »

It's actually not a bug but feature introduced in one of the beta updates preceding 1.7.0.7 (I think it was then but I'm not sure if it wasn't a little after the official patch)
Elliot put it in place after quite a large group of people complained about loosing planets because all the population was moved off world.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Theluin

It's actually not a bug but feature introduced in one of the beta updates preceding 1.7.0.7 (I think it was then but I'm not sure if it wasn't a little after the official patch)
Elliot put it in place after quite a large group of people complained about loosing planets because all the population was moved off world.

In it's current implementation, it's a bug. Yes, stop the planet from being lost due to EVERYONE migrating offworld or dying in a plague. But that does not mean resettlement should leave you with, for example, 15b humans and 1m xenos (Draco's point - whatever you do, you're forever stuck with this last 1m).

It's a partial fix.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

ORIGINAL: Theluin

In it's current implementation, it's a bug. Yes, stop the planet from being lost due to EVERYONE migrating offworld or dying in a plague. But that does not mean resettlement should leave you with, for example, 15b humans and 1m xenos (Draco's point - whatever you do, you're forever stuck with this last 1m).

It's a partial fix.

exactly, if my race is present on the planet I should be able to strip off/kill off every last one of those inferior species and not have to deal with a remaining 1m always being there. it kind of makes my people look weak since they can not fully deal with the trash.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Exactly, if my race is present on the planet I should be able to strip off/kill off every last one of those inferior species and not have to deal with a remaining 1m always being there.
It kind of makes my people look weak since they cannot fully deal with the trash.

I take it this is an extract from Emperor Palpatine's Opus Magnus:- 'Death Stars: Their use in Ruling the Galactic Empire'

[;)]

Attachments
StarWarsPropoganda.jpg
StarWarsPropoganda.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 409 times
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

From what I can tell...

Resettle simply ships them off to other empires, shifting your problem onto someone else. Very useful. [;)]

If you use the penal colony setting, the undesirables are shipped off to a planet in your empire designated penal colony and are at least all in one spot.

Enslave...well does what it says, though it doesn't move them about.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Lonck

Post by Lonck »

how can I designate a planet a penal colony?

Return to “The War Room”