How long for an AI?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

paulderynck

RE: How long for an AI?

Post by paulderynck »

This should probably teleport to the movie thread, but Kelly's Heroes was one of Donald Sutherland's best roles. But he was also memorable in three other WWII movies I can think of right off the bat:
- Pinkley in The Dirty Dozen ("Where are you from, son?", "Madison City, Missouri, sir!", "...Never heard of it.")
- Faber in Eye of the Needle
- Devlin in The Eagle Has Landed

Hmmm, all good movies based on actual historical events! [;)]
Paul
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Sadly,

Kelly's Heroes is taken for a documentry by far too many who inhabit these forumz,

Next they'll be quoting from Pearl Harbor (TMTSNBN).

And you know this how?

Nice job insulting the community. [:-]

I guess we should all just bow to your superior knowledge. [&o]

Sheesh, give me a break.

Why, do you deserve a holiday??

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

This should probably teleport to the movie thread, but Kelly's Heroes was one of Donald Sutherland's best roles. But he was also memorable in three other WWII movies I can think of right off the bat:
- Pinkley in The Dirty Dozen ("Where are you from, son?", "Madison City, Missouri, sir!", "...Never heard of it.")
- Faber in Eye of the Needle
- Devlin in The Eagle Has Landed

Hmmm, all good movies based on actual historical events! [;)]
Warspite1

Larry Hagman was the star of The Eagle Has Landed [:)] [&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

So someone from Matrix pokes his head in here for the first time in God knows how long, and all you schmucks want to do is spam movie quotes? Small wonder there's no sense of corporate urgency for, oh, the last 8 years now.

Erik, time's a-wastin'. We've been told from the horse's mouth to expect a release in about 3 months, certainly now would be a good time to prime the pump by granting an audience with your most fervent admirers? Get the news and future plans out there, enough of these elliptical updates that serve only to discourage and alienate. Tear yourself away from servicing the latest Gary Grigsby snooze-fest for a moment and throw us a bone.

I'm on the fence about purchasing. I have CWiF already, so MWiF without AI is not particularly attractive. But maybe you have encouraging news on that front, or other baubles to dangle... or not?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

"They've got the Rose and Crown"

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Major John Reisman: Which one of you guys wants to be a general?
[to Pinkley]
Major John Reisman: Pinkley?
Pinkley: What kind of general, sir?
Major John Reisman: Just a plain, ordinary, every day, home-lovin' American general.
Pinkley: I'd rather be a civilian, sir.
Paul
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

So someone from Matrix pokes his head in here for the first time in God knows how long, and all you schmucks want to do is spam movie quotes?
I'm not really involved in this exchange, but your comment strikes me as being kind of rude. Should I buy a game that's tailored to suit the tastes of someone like youself?
Government is the opiate of the masses.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Baron von Richter: David, we are not asking for anything. Europe is ours, we can walk into Britain whenever we like.
Sir David Kelly: If you think we're going to gamble on Herr Hitler's guarantees, you're making a grave mistake. All those years in England seems to have left you none the wiser. We're not easily frightened. Also we know how hard it is for an army to cross the Channel. The last little Corporal who tried came a cropper. So don't threaten or dictate to us until you're marching up Whitehall... and even then we won't listen.

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: pzgndr
this game will never get an AI
the game will never get a really challenging AI

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? [:D]
Warspite1

Not many people are more positive about this game than me.

What I said was not a criticism - more a statement of fact as I see it (my opinion of course may be - and invariably is - wrong [;)]) I hope so in this case, but regardless, is not a reason for not buying the game.

I might be slightly more positive about MWIF than you, but barely. I am looking forward to crushing you in a game as soon as it is released.

Btw, how is your progress on the internationally anticipated G7YPBW game.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski
ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? [:D]
Warspite1

What I said was not a criticism - more a statement of fact as I see it (my opinion of course may be - and invariably is - wrong [;)]) I hope so in this case, but regardless, is not a reason for not buying the game.

Btw, how is your progress on the internationally anticipated G7YPBW game.
Warspite1

I think that is a topic for the another thread; this thread - as the name suggests - is to be used only by schmucks who want to quote from war films [:D]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Brigadier General James M. Gavin: Is it still raining?
Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort: On and off. Off and on. Sometimes I wonder which side God's on.

(later)

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: [in German] This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.
Paul
Orm

Post by Orm »

Warspite1

I think that is a topic for the another thread; this thread - as the name suggests - is to be used only by schmucks who want to quote from war films
Here is a quote from a war film for you.

"I said to him, "Sir, give me one division and I will take that hill." And he said nothing. He just stood there, he stared at me. I said, "General Ewell, give me one brigade and I will take that hill." I was becoming disturbed, sir. And General Ewell put his arms behind him and blinked. So I said, General, give me one regiment and I will take that hill." And he said nothing! He just stood there! I threw down my sword, down on the ground in front of him!"

"We... we could've done it, sir. A blind man should've seen it. Now they're working up there. You can hear the axes of the Federal troops. And so in the morning... many a good boy will die... taking that hill."
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Brigadier General James M. Gavin: Is it still raining?
Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Vandervoort: On and off. Off and on. Sometimes I wonder which side God's on.

(later)

Major General Gunther Blumentritt: [in German] This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on.
It sounds better in German...

However: the best phrase in the movie (together with the look of the French actors face) after the destruction of a telephone line: "Ca Marche...".

And there is of course the scene of Rommel on the phone in his home in Stuttgart on his wifes birthday:
"Ahh: Gutenmorgen ... Was... WAS!... WO!...
Peter
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Waterloo [referring to the English troops]
Duchess of Richmond: They're the salt of England, Arthur.
Duke of Wellington: Scum. Nothing but beggars and scoundrels, all of them. Gin is the spirit of their patriotism.
Duchess of Richmond: Yet you expect them to die for you?
Duke of Wellington: Um-hum.
Duchess of Richmond: Out of duty?
Duke of Wellington: Um-hum.
Duchess of Richmond: I doubt if even Bonaparte could draw men to him by duty.
Duke of Wellington: Oh, Boney's not a gentleman.
Duchess of Richmond: Arthur! What an Englishman you are.
Duke of Wellington: On the field of battle his hat is worth fifty thousand men; but he is not a gentleman.

Duke of Wellington [&o][&o]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Orm
Warspite1

I think that is a topic for the another thread; this thread - as the name suggests - is to be used only by schmucks who want to quote from war films

"I said to him, "Sir, give me one division and I will take that hill." And he said nothing. He just stood there, he stared at me. I said, "General Ewell, give me one brigade and I will take that hill." I was becoming disturbed, sir. And General Ewell put his arms behind him and blinked. So I said, General, give me one regiment and I will take that hill." And he said nothing! He just stood there! I threw down my sword, down on the ground in front of him!"

"We... we could've done it, sir. A blind man should've seen it. Now they're working up there. You can hear the axes of the Federal troops. And so in the morning... many a good boy will die... taking that hill."
Gettysburg. Spoken by General John B. Gordon, if memory serves.
Paul
Orm

Post by Orm »

Warspite1

It is indeed from the movie Gettysburg but it was spoken by General Isaac Trimble.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bo

Post by bo »

The most impressive feeling I get on these forums is that posters never get off topic [;)] this topic started by vonRocko was about hmmmm it was so long ago I forgot what it was about .[&:]

Bo
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

It is indeed from the movie Gettysburg but it was spoken by General Isaac Trimble.

One of my all-time favorite movies. Whenever I quote Robert E. Lee my sister just laughs. Can you recall how he delivers these lines?

"Meade will be cautious I think... taking some time to get organized. Perhaps we should move more swiftly. There may be an opportunity here."

Spoken with such softness. I dunno, I find it to be amusing.

Oh yeah... also... "Hold to the last... the last what?" HA!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bo

The most impressive feeling I get on these forums is that posters never get off topic [;)] this topic started by vonRocko was about hmmmm it was so long ago I forgot what it was about .[&:]

Bo
Warspite1

That is correct bo, we pride ourselves on staying on topic on this thread. Now you Schumuck, do you have a war film quote to share with us or not? [;)][:D]

ezzler

Post by ezzler »

"Has anybody seen my regiment?"

{and yes, Bo is right -should move this onto its own thread}

Return to “World in Flames”