Is PC a good beginner wargame?

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

jamus34

Is PC a good beginner wargame?

Post by jamus34 »

Sorry if this has been asked however is Panzer Corps a good introduction to wargaming or would it be over my head?

I played some PG in my youth but nothing I would really remember...is this considered fairly easy to pick up an learn?
Lord Zimoa

RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame?

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Panzer Corps was designed from the ground up to help people getting into this wargame each at his own pace. It is easy to pick-up and learn, we deliberately kept the learning curve not too steep.

If you dig more and more into the game play, you will notice though that at first glance it may appear, and is not, a difficult game really, but by playing more you will find out it will become challenging. So easy to learn, but hard to master if you want to.

Things that help you to achieve this are are:

- The tutorial campaign (really recommend playing this first)

- The basic manual (no 300 page telephone book to introduce you to the very basic gameplay principles and rules)

- The 7 difficulty settings: from dead easy to ridiculously hard

- Options to enable/disable certain rules you like/dislike: fuel/support/fog of war

- Help and tutorial tips, you can enable/disable

- The ingame library

Over time have a look, when you want to dig deeper into the game, at Slitherine`s main forum sticky topics:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=121

- The Cheat Codes and Hotkey list
- Common Questions
- Hints and Gameplay Tips and Tricks

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: jamus34

Sorry if this has been asked however is Panzer Corps a good introduction to wargaming or would it be over my head?

I played some PG in my youth but nothing I would really remember...is this considered fairly easy to pick up an learn?
Yes, you couldn't pick better.
Anyway you can grab the demo, although you really don't need. [;)]
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: jamus34

It is without doubt a great game for an introduction to a great hobby. As jamus34 said get the demo. Shortly after trying the game you will purchase it.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Dreadgod

Post by Dreadgod »

Panzer Corps is, at its core, the spiritual successor to a famous game called "Panzer General", which was the first in a series of well-received war games. The popularity of the Panzer General series was due in large part because it WASN'T insanely hard to pick up like other wargames of its time, ut had enough depth to be interesting. Panzer Corps is effectively following right along in those footsteps; they've made an accessible game (but with real mastery an option), with enough depth to be interesting.

Go for it. Believe me, the gamers on this forum are not disappointed. :) It's a hex/hexagon-based game, so if you've done one of those before that's a benefit, but by no means a requirement.
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Dreadgod

Panzer Corps is, at its core, the spiritual successor to a famous game called "Panzer General", which was the first in a series of well-received war games. The popularity of the Panzer General series was due in large part because it WASN'T insanely hard to pick up like other wargames of its time, ut had enough depth to be interesting. Panzer Corps is effectively following right along in those footsteps; they've made an accessible game (but with real mastery an option), with enough depth to be interesting.

Go for it. Believe me, the gamers on this forum are not disappointed. :) It's a hex/hexagon-based game, so if you've done one of those before that's a benefit, but by no means a requirement.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Buy it, you won't regret it.
Very easy to get into, and deep enough to assure a long gameplay.
In fact I think it's a masterpiece because it is *very* rare a "remake" of the classic PG surpasses it's original, improves it and maintains the original appeal the original had. Eye candy galore, fun and strategic depth all at the same time.
An instant classic, and it has gotten loads of positive reviews/awards.
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

Thanks guys...got the demo...only had a chance to play through the introductory mission so far but it seems pretty good...one of those "easy to learn but impossible to master" type of games.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Just want to add, ANY matrixgames game you buy is made even more worth its cost due to a very friendly community where there are no stupid question (a few stupid replies though [:D]).
So if you have any questions just ask, and you should be getting alot of help on the various forums.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Just want to add, ANY matrixgames game you buy is made even more worth its cost due to a very friendly community where there are no stupid question (a few stupid replies though [:D]).
So if you have any questions just ask, and you should be getting alot of help on the various forums.

Terje

Terje, well played and a great response.[8D]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Terje

Oh yeah, I've been a lurker here for a while...I know everyone's great.

SimSportPlyr

Post by SimSportPlyr »

I hope it's ok if I ask a question about buying this game.

I see that it is for sale on the Slitherine web site and on the Matrix Games web site. Are these the same game, different version?

Thanks.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: SimSportPlyr

I hope it's ok if I ask a question about buying this game.

I see that it is for sale on the Slitherine web site and on the Matrix Games web site. Are these the same game, different version?

Thanks.
Same game.
SimSportPlyr

Post by SimSportPlyr »

Thanks, VPaulus!
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

Is Panzer Corps a better game for a beginning war gamer or is Battle Academy better? Is there any difference in the complexity between those two games?
James
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Panzercorps has very simple mechanis but typicallymore units to move around (a different form of compexity). Battle Academy typically fewer units but bit more subtle. Apples and oranges to some degree. Pick the scale that interests you (BA is squad level, Panzer Corps operational )
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: leftydad

Is Panzer Corps a better game for a beginning war gamer or is Battle Academy better? Is there any difference in the complexity between those two games?

I enjoyed both games. Battle Academy surprised me, I didn't think I would like it. My daughter bought it for me as a Christmas present and I ended up buying every expansion pack I liked it so much.

Return to “Panzer Corps”