How do you capture cities like Sevastapol?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

inscrutible

How do you capture cities like Sevastapol?

Post by inscrutible »

I havent played since before christmas but in my last game against the AI, in 1942 I wasnt able to capture hexes in cities that were in supply. For most cities, I simply encircle them but others like Odessa, Sevastapol etc that can trace supply to other ports, I wasnt able to capture, even with INF divisions at max strength, backed up by HQs stacked with combat engineers and siege artillery (I know they were being committed to the attack as I even attached them to the INF to make sure).

I'd appreciate any advice as my current options seem to be limited to the interior cities such as Moscow which I can encircle......

Thanks.....
Denniss

RE: How do you capture cities like Sevastapol?

Post by Denniss »

Soften them up by multiple aerial bombing attacks - you should prefer multiple smaller unit attacks over one or two large formation attacks.
It will inflict some equipment losses, generates fatigue and the targets may loose supplies/ammo/fuel.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Poineers. They can lower the fort level from 4 or 5 to 3, 2, 1 or even zero during the attack.

1. Ground attack 3 times with planes.
2. Have 1 divisions attack.
3. Large assualt with artillary, planes and poineers.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
inscrutible

Post by inscrutible »

Thanks for the tips! Didnt realise that more smaller attacks would be more effective than all out assaults.....
Mehring

Post by Mehring »

Better than a direct assault, if you can draw the defender forward, bash them on the rebound and roll into the forts for nearly free. :) Won't work on every opponent of course.
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Bomb the port. As soon as you can, without losing too many bombers, target the port and keep targeting the port. In this way you could leave fewer troops there and just wait it out. This does take more time.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Poineers. They can lower the fort level from 4 or 5 to 3, 2, 1 or even zero during the attack.

1. Ground attack 3 times with planes.
2. Have 1 divisions attack.
3. Large assualt with artillary, planes and poineers.

Never tried it out - very interesting I have to say. I never realised that airpower had that much effect.

I just had to face the same problem in Gorky in '43 with the AI established in the city, but I couldn't cross the rivers in strength to encircle it (the AI counterattacked with heavily supported Infantry and Tank Corps and stopped my encircling forces and strangely did not withraw from Gorky itself). So basically I launched three heavy attacks in as many weeks with pioneers and even Stugs and only managed to lever the AI out of Gorky in the third attack with 6 divisions with full support and with heavy ground support.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Honestly, ignore Sevastapol. (Although the tips given above are great information).

There is no advantage to take Sevastapol in the game right now from just about any way you want to look at it, be it industrial, manpower, or political.

In addition, it is far easier and more economical to guard the Crimea at the entrance than it is to try to capture the entire Crimea and then have to defend against Russian invasions.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

There is no advantage to take Sevastapol in the game right now from just about any way you want to look at it, be it industrial, manpower, or political.

In addition, it is far easier and more economical to guard the Crimea at the entrance than it is to try to capture the entire Crimea and then have to defend against Russian invasions.

I'm really not sure about this; again there is no right or wrong, but in one test game I did not get the Crimea, which allowed Ploesti to get bombed to the ground, and although I never saw the impact of the loss of Oil and Fuel, because a bug stopped the Game, I have always followed a "Crimea first" policy, and not regretted it. I have since modified my strategy so I get it after the blizzard rather than before, as bombing missions during the blizzard and snow are less effective.

Quite a few AARs show that attacks from the Crimea can be a nuisance, and tie down significant numbers of troops/units.

You could probably keep Sevastopol itself besieged with a few Rumanians, but I would not leave the big aircraft carrier in the Black Sea available for the Soviet Long Range Airforce.

edit: The AI does not use it's long range bombers or attack aggressively from the Crimea, so Klydon's advice is fine for playing against the AI rather than a good soviet PBEM player.
It's only a Game

Ridgeway

Post by Ridgeway »

ORIGINAL: inscrutible

Thanks for the tips! Didnt realise that more smaller attacks would be more effective than all out assaults.....

The danger with multiple attacks is that each failure can jack up the defenders' morale, which can make them even tougher to dislodge if the main attack fails. Back in 1.03, my opponent did this to me in Odessa. After a bunch of his attacks failed, he moved on and just screened Odessa with a few Rumanians. Big mistake. The blizzard came, and the defenders (who were now high-morale guards) opened up a can of whup-borscht in his rear, with reinforcements streaming in through the port as the original defenders advanced out..
Balou

Post by Balou »

@Pelton,
I remember posts of yours where you questioned the necessity of any Axis attack on Sevastopol.

@BigA,
aircraft carrier Sevastopol: do you have any idea why the AI doesn't make use of it ?
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

The AI has a very strange attitude to the air war. During testing I don't think there were any requests for "training" the AI to consider strategic bombing targets.

The whole bombing Ploesti to oblivion was on the testers list of potentially cheesey things to do. Historically there were approx. 50 raids before the Crimea was captured, but minimal damage was caused.
It's only a Game

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Honestly, ignore Sevastapol. (Although the tips given above are great information).

That is what I have done on my latest game. Too costly and much to drawn out to take that hell-hole.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”