Bagration-game over

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

joe6778

Bagration-game over

Post by joe6778 »

This scenario is a sick joke. Unfortunately, it's not funny because I can't complete the campaign.

I have played the Panzer General series for years so I'm not a novice. I play on moderate complexity. All the other scenarios and campaigns in Panzer Corps vary in complexity, but at least I feel that I have a chance to win at least a marginal victory.

Bagration, however, is unbelievably difficult and I can't get beyond 8 turns before I lose all my units. Game over.

I upgraded my units to the best I could afford, but the Soviet onslaught is overwhelming. I guess I should just disband my anti-air and artillery units and just purchase tanks and more tanks because my ARTY and AA are nothing but cannon fodder. And anything less than the strongest AT and tanks can stand up to the Soviets, even when defending behind rivers.

I can't get beyond this scenario and can't advance in the campaign because my whole force gets wiped out. I was really enjoying the campaign until this.
James Ward

RE: Bagration-game over

Post by James Ward »

What's you force mix? I have had success with this scenaro but you need a pretty tank heavy force, or at least I do.

joe6778

Post by joe6778 »

A very heavy tank force (PzIVs and Tigers), a few INF to hold cities, about six FW190s, two Tac Bombers, a few SPAs, a few heavy AT units, etc. All top of the line units, most overstrength.

My forces quickly become overwhelmed by Soviet units, and when I try to fall back, many are simply surrounded and destroyed. I don't even want to play it out to the end because I would just lose every single unit.

This scenario just seems like a slaughter compared to the rest of the campaign.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

It's not an easy scenario by any stretch but you can beat it. You need a lot of good armour to do it though, or at least I do.
I'm not sure of your Prestige situation but if you can upgrade to Tiger ll's and Panthers, do it. You should have a good enough air force to gain superiority in 2-3 tuns. Concentrate on killing his air units first not attacking ground units. If you can afford some strategic bomberrs they will come in very hand in this scenario.
I have had great success with a force consisting of only Tiger ll's and Panthers for armour, a few infantry units (6-7), 3-4 artillery, 2 x 88 AA, 6 fighters, 3 fighter bombers and 2 strat bombers. The Pz IV's don't seem to last long and at this point AT guns aren't very effective so I don't use them much although Jadgpanthers will survive.
I try to have at lest 8 Tiger ll's (more if prestige allows) and as many Panthers as I have left in my core deployment. I had the most success defending behind the river, not one step back. Form your defense from the northen most city down to the River. Infantry only in cities with artillery back up if the artillery cannot be attacked directly. Use 4-5 tanks to cover the open ground to link to the next city. Then behind the river place some armour until the next city. Fill in behind the riverbend with armour. The Russin won't attack in the very south but I usually park two infantry there just in case.
Let the Russian come to you. It will take 2-3 turns to take out his airforce and gain total air superority. Don't let him cross the river in the south in force as it will flank your entire position. He will come over the first turn and it is important that you crush this bridgehead and move up to the river. Make him attack from the river hex. Only attack the JS tanks with Tiger ll's, your Panthers wil take to much damage against them.
In the North just be patient, you can begin to take out whole units after a turn or two as he packs forward with no retreat routes. Once you get air superiority use your strat bombers against the JS tanks and any annoying artillery units to wipe out thier ammo. After 5-6 turns you could actually be able to go on the offesive in either the north or south. Once you can circle around the center and take out the artillery and AA and you are home free.
IanPnz1V

Post by IanPnz1V »

You're right, this is one of the hardest scenarios to try and win, I had to cheat a bit on this one by tweaking the prestige a little higher, and increasing the number of turns a little longer. Also I deployed my units a little further back then normal in order to avoid the first hammer-blows. Extra heavy artillery placed behind pioneers and tanks might work.

Return to “The War Room”