Tactical advice - l'audace!

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Koniev

Tactical advice - l'audace!

Post by Koniev »

Just for kicks I began a game using the "Nimitz strategy". Admiral Nimitz wanted to bypass the Solomons and the Phillipines, take the north coast of New Guinea to keep Rabaul and Truk subdued, take the Marsalls and the Marianas and move directly on Okinawa.

Well, except for Okinawa, I've done that. I'm currently faced with the problem of moving on Iwo Jima, BUT, according to Sigint, Formosa doesn't have any troops.

What would you think of attacking Formosa from Saipan without taking Iwo or any bases in the P.I. I have plenty of Marines and Inf. Divisions, 5 CV TF's with 3 CV's and 2 CVL's each plus two groups of 21 knot BB's and a fast BB TF which includes the Iowas.

Is this TOO audacious?

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!! ? Or am I looking at a General Custer situation?
"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana
Ian R

RE: Tactical advice - l'audace!

Post by Ian R »

No. But there are usually 2-3 division equivalents in each Formosa base. [So move your fast carriers up a week before D-day with replenishent TFs, and set one TF to bomb the island and you will see what's there during combat resolution anyway.

"I am Alfred"
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

What would you think of attacking Formosa from Saipan without taking Iwo or any bases in the P.I. I have plenty of Marines and Inf. Divisions, 5 CV TF's with 3 CV's and 2 CVL's each plus two groups of 21 knot BB's and a fast BB TF which includes the Iowas.

That's a fair amount of open water to cover without LBA support. I also find the absence of troops on Formosa highly suspect. I would check the enemy air zones and find out how much you have to sail though. Also, do you have sufficient transports with higher speed than the Henderson class to carry your invading LCU's?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Koniev

Post by Koniev »

I couldn't bring myself to do it. As you said, Captain, I didn't really trust SIGINT about Formosa and the supply columns would have to pass through an area covered by LBA from both the Home Islands, Okinawa and the PI.

One consequence of the Nimitz strategy is that, although there are several thousand troops cut off from Guadalcanal to Truk and the New Britain peninsula, all the LBA was evacuated to the P.I. and the home islands. The air defenses are as thick as I've ever seen.

I've attacked and taken Iwo Jima and Bonin Is. and moved in COE units. The SW pacific has just taken Kendari while 6th and 8th Armies are preparing for an assualt on the P.I.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

One consequence of the Nimitz strategy is that, although there are several thousand troops cut off from Guadalcanal to Truk and the New Britain peninsula, all the LBA was evacuated to the P.I. and the home islands. The air defenses are as thick as I've ever seen.

One other point I forgot to raise: do the Japanese have kamikaze units yet? I can testify from unpleasant experience that it makes a difference.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Koniev

Post by Koniev »

Yes, they do, and yes, they hurt.

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”