HUE newbie questions

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
TonyE

RE: HUE newbie questions

Post by TonyE »

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU
Um,

I am not sure if the above is directed at me for good or for bad.
I'm thinking none of that is directed at you, certainly not the venom, these days that is in most part reserved for Herman and his supporters or whatever else they want to be called at any particular moment to serve their motives.
All I can say is that I am just a returning player, trying to come to grips with H3 in all of its interesting versions and having a bit of a struggle. I don't know what the best sites are to go for help. A number of people have made suggestions and I have investigated and registered at Harpgamer, etc.
Yup, and the few people Herman & Co. haven't entirely chased away from H3 who do know something tend to stay away. I don't know enough about H3 but I help where I can, when I can stand it. With each exchange with Herman & Co. I seem to be able to stand less and less time here and have even less desire to touch H3 at all.
Heck, I don't know enough yet to realize that just by asking a question about a particular set of scenarios "Classic GUIK" that this means (to the learned) that I am using such and such a database and all of the apparent baggage that comes with it.
True, that tipped some of us off and not wanting to legitimize Herman's approach took away the desire we had to help in this case. It sucks for everyone except Herman & Co but that is how it is. It especially hurts you who are just innocently looking for help.
What I can say, is that this community to which I have returned, feels very much (regardless of where I am posting) like a bar that I have just walked into just a few seconds before a fight breaks out and I fell like I have to choose a side *right now*.
I suppose this will be used in the Herman & Co pamphlet but there are no more sides. It is Herman & Co's side or nothing. They are so much better equipped to help H3 players, especially new and long lost players that they are the only choice unless you want to climb the steep learning curve required in any of alternative approaches (which pretty much boils down to fumbling like a blind man to actually play a scenario with HUD4). Thankfully that is not the case in HC land where we still have far less time to devote to Harpoon but we at least have the numbers available to help players.
People who do me a service or a good turn have the right to ask me to do the same for them, and so long as it violates neither my principles or the law, I feel obligated to consider and discharge such obligations as are possible for me to do.
Which works great to a point. You'll find me describe Herman as the most prolific tester of Harpoon and one of the best testers; yet Herman & Co's other activities and approaches to Harpoon have made me cease all support and legitimization of them. That hurts everyone. I could try to ignore everything Herman & Co do except find and report bugs but at some point I have a responsibility to the community to not condone those activities I'm ignoring. Unfortunately there are many innocent bystanders hurt by any choice I make in this regard. I've chosen an approach I can live with, zero support of Herman & Co but I don't like it one bit.
I just want to play Harpoon when I have the chance to do so, without spending what few gaming hours I have trying to just get something up and running.
If the statements I've made above are accurate and I sincerely believe they are, your path is clear and it does not include HarpGamer or the developer of the game. Your path is with Herman & Co. About the only hope for H3 from a commercial standpoint is for the game to be handed over to Herman & Co, Herman & Co have effectively killed off any other approach (my 2 cents).

Now if you should ever want to play HC, I am the programmer there and we'll give you all the help we can at HarpGamer and being the people bending the code we can use your input to improve the game itself.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

The really interesting thing in this thread is how the first post that insulted me used Myk & Co. as the yardstick to measure the worse in the community - a statement that resulted... in Myk & Co. insulting me nonetheless [8|]

Edit: Ah, no, there is another interesting thing: that I'm the "obsessed" one.

Do yourself a favor: try to work for the community. Or scratch that and don't do it: it won't change a thing.

And, BTW, next time you have a problem with someone on another forum, try to confront him on that forum.

Thanks Vince.

Linked!
JSF

Post by JSF »

[...]

This is not either for you or for me to decide. I'm sure that everybody is perfectly able to decide by himself if he is happy with the help he gets.

Happy gaming!

+1 on both
JSF

Post by JSF »

Major SNAFU,

ORIGINAL: JSF

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread. ... -mission-2

CaptainPiluso, like Major Snafu one of those newbies/backcomers not aware about the guy whom they are here posting for, seems to have understood.

Um,

I am not sure if the above is directed at me for good or for bad.

No offense meant. Thus directed for good.

I just wanted to point out how the system works and that you are posting on behalf of somebody who has been banned for years now because of the explained behaviour, banned by the publisher = Matrix Games and the Producer = AGSI/Don Gilman. Banned from Harpgamer and banned from Warfare Sims.

By posting for him you give him the workaround he needs to be here.

You now know about those positions and all is up to you (and the others). I think, like Tony, Mike and Brad, it was about time to lift again the curtain. btw all those bad guys were "Pooner of the Year".

Look here:

http://www.harpoonpages.com/pooner2011.htm

Either we all are the bad guys or he is. [8D]Just to give you some more input.

Enough.

Enjoy your Harpoon, using the database you like and the help you like. There is no doubt that Herman is very deep in the game and maintains his db on a regular basis.

HUD 4, the official database and successor to RIP Darren´s ("Bucks") HUD 3, is also out, and also maintained on a regular basis by Gunny.

Your choice.

Have a nice weekend!
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

What I can say, is that this community to which I have returned, feels very much (regardless of where I am posting) like a bar that I have just walked into just a few seconds before a fight breaks out and I fell like I have to choose a side *right now*.

Major,

I understand your feeling, but the Harpoon community is actually made by those who enjoy the game; enjoy making DBs, scenarios and videos for it; enjoy playing MP together with fellow gamers; and are always happy to share their knowledge with fellow gamers, both newcomers and "old-hands", around the game many issues (because there is no usefulness in denying them). There is no need to "choose sides": like in any other community, each one can perfectly decide by himself with whom he is most comfortable. [:)]

Having said that, it is true that sometimes those who enjoy Harpoon see some disturbing happenings, and this thread is a microcosm of many of them.

It started with your request for help about an issue of the game - something perfectly normal. It soon turned in what I like to call "The Dolorous Procession".

The pattern is, I think, visible to anyone. Someone comes here and insults me (on the tune that I sold my brain, or similar ones). After a while I'm explained that I'm not actually the one being insulted, but another one, who is insulted via me, by proxy. At the end there is a sad goodbye (don't worry, it is never a goodbye...) usually accompanied by more sadness for "a wasted brain" (that's mine).

After a while someone else comes here and insults me ((on the tune that I sold my brain, or similar ones,sometimes insulting in the process innocent bystanders too); After a while I'm explained that I'm not actually the one being insulted, but another one, who is insulted via me, by...

I think you got the gist.

The tones are of sad tiredness. The promises that "this is the last time, goodbye" never fulfilled. The Dolorous Procession continues, like grey waves marching in their endless ranks to smash against the patience of the afflicted. Every then and now they do seem to affirm to have won... something. Not that this matters: not even the perception of "being the winner of something" stops the Dolorous Procession (or makes a "goodbye forever" a real "goodbye forever", as you can see in this very thread).

In the middle of all of this I get the stray insult about being "obsessed" [:)]

Meanwhile the community, the one I spoke to you at the beginning, thrives and continues to support the game.

[Some of the petitioners, BTW, are right now working on a direct competitor of Harpoon, as you can easily discover. As I said both here and elsewhere, I find deeply unprofessional to molest those supporting your competing game on that game's official forum. This is my opinion on the matter.]

Many of the insults are directed to specific individuals. They are seldom, if ever, directly confronted. The reason given is "It is futile" (read: "They won't think the way we want!") Fine. But one would think that adult people just accept that not everybody sees things the same way, and that, to some, a minute spent helping a fellow gamer is a minute better spent than petitioning "causes". For some reason this never happens, and the result is that other (rightfully annoyed) bystanders are molested instead - like in a... dunno, "campaign of enlightenment" or something against a perceived... again, dunno... Evil Empire or something.

From here your - correct - feeling that you are asked to "choose sides". Of course the idea that someone enjoying a game should do this is delusional, your free will being the only arbiter [:)]

Having said that, I feel that a bit of more "reality-checking" about this alleged "Evil Empire" is in order - since, as you will find out if you hang around enough, very little presented as "fact" during the Dolorous Procession weeks is actually based on any facts at all.
    - The PlayersDB Library installation file has always been willing to include and accommodate other databases along with their scenarios. Everyone is welcomed. - Sites such as HarPlonkHQ, SubSim, SimHQ, GameSquad, ScenShare, FilesOfScenShare, and CombatSim host the PlayersDB and have always been willing to host other various databases and scenarios without any pre-conditions. You will find that other sites feel the need to dictate who is allowed to post files. It is their privilege, but this doesn't make a policy [i]better[/i] that another. - Other sites dedicate entire pages to rants and defamation towards the PlayersDB and its authors, yet no reciprocal pages exist to criticize their own customized databases. - the Evil Empire has been able to provide assistance to any who request it (professional and amateur, alike) without ever resortng to restraint or restriction of others from provision of the same. In short, the Evil Empire has never needed to curtail or interfere in the activities of others whilst in the pursuit of its own; nor has ever uttered "Do it OUR way or else". Who knows, maybe it is the value we give to freedom and freedom of thinking that attracts the unwelcome attentions of "fundamentalists". It happens: after all, games attempt to model the real world [;)]

Anyway, I hope not to have bored you. The length of this specific Dolorous Procession has been unusual, but it was not the first one, and, I sadly fear, it will not the last one. I feel obliged to warn you about this, so you can make an informed decision about this recurring event.

Cheers, and good gaming with your gaming pals! It is all that really matters! And remember: if you have a problem we are always here! [:)]

[A note to those wondering: "He says that all of this is a waste of electrons, and then he writes a paper??" Well, is not a waste of electrons for me: I'm an Italian who often works in foreign countries, and this is a way as good as another to hone my English skills. Like every dark cloud, the Dolorous Procession, too, has a silver lining - the only one, sadly.]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Major,

I understand your feeling, but the Harpoon community is actually made by those who enjoy the game; enjoy making DBs, scenarios and videos for it; enjoy playing MP together with fellow gamers; and are always happy to share their knowledge with fellow gamers, both newcomers and "old-hands", around the game many issues (because there is no usefulness in denying them). There is no need to "choose sides": like in any other community, each one can perfectly decide by himself with whom he is most comfortable. [:)]

Having said that, it is true that sometimes those who enjoy Harpoon see some disturbing happenings, and this thread is a microcosm of many of them.

It started with your request for help about an issue of the game - something perfectly normal. It soon turned in what I like to call "The Dolorous Procession".

The pattern is, I think, visible to anyone. Someone comes here and insults me (on the tune that I sold my brain, or similar ones). After a while I'm explained that I'm not actually the one being insulted, but another one, who is insulted via me, by proxy. At the end there is a sad goodbye (don't worry, it is never a goodbye...) usually accompanied by more sadness for "a wasted brain" (that's mine).

After a while someone else comes here and insults me ((on the tune that I sold my brain, or similar ones,sometimes insulting in the process innocent bystanders too); After a while I'm explained that I'm not actually the one being insulted, but another one, who is insulted via me, by...

I think you got the gist.

The tones are of sad tiredness. The promises that "this is the last time, goodbye" never fulfilled. The Dolorous Procession continues, like grey waves marching in their endless ranks to smash against the patience of the afflicted. Every then and now they do seem to affirm to have won... something. Not that this matters: not even the perception of "being the winner of something" stops the Dolorous Procession (or makes a "goodbye forever" a real "goodbye forever", as you can see in this very thread).

In the middle of all of this I get the stray insult about being "obsessed" [:)]

Meanwhile the community, the one I spoke to you at the beginning, thrives and continues to support the game.

[Some of the petitioners, BTW, are right now working on a direct competitor of Harpoon, as you can easily discover. As I said both here and elsewhere, I find deeply unprofessional to molest those supporting your competing game on that game's official forum. This is my opinion on the matter.]

Many of the insults are directed to specific individuals. They are seldom, if ever, directly confronted. The reason given is "It is futile" (read: "They won't think the way we want!") Fine. But one would think that adult people just accept that not everybody sees things the same way, and that, to some, a minute spent helping a fellow gamer is a minute better spent than petitioning "causes". For some reason this never happens, and the result is that other (rightfully annoyed) bystanders are molested instead - like in a... dunno, "campaign of enlightenment" or something against a perceived... again, dunno... Evil Empire or something.

From here your - correct - feeling that you are asked to "choose sides". Of course the idea that someone enjoying a game should do this is delusional, your free will being the only arbiter [:)]

Having said that, I feel that a bit of more "reality-checking" about this alleged "Evil Empire" is in order - since, as you will find out if you hang around enough, very little presented as "fact" during the Dolorous Procession weeks is actually based on any facts at all.
    - The PlayersDB Library installation file has always been willing to include and accommodate other databases along with their scenarios. Everyone is welcomed. - Sites such as HarPlonkHQ, SubSim, SimHQ, GameSquad, ScenShare, FilesOfScenShare, and CombatSim host the PlayersDB and have always been willing to host other various databases and scenarios without any pre-conditions. You will find that other sites feel the need to dictate who is allowed to post files. It is their privilege, but this doesn't make a policy [i]better[/i] that another. - Other sites dedicate entire pages to rants and defamation towards the PlayersDB and its authors, yet no reciprocal pages exist to criticize their own customized databases. - the Evil Empire has been able to provide assistance to any who request it (professional and amateur, alike) without ever resortng to restraint or restriction of others from provision of the same. In short, the Evil Empire has never needed to curtail or interfere in the activities of others whilst in the pursuit of its own; nor has ever uttered "Do it OUR way or else". Who knows, maybe it is the value we give to freedom and freedom of thinking that attracts the unwelcome attentions of "fundamentalists". It happens: after all, games attempt to model the real world [;)]

Anyway, I hope not to have bored you. The length of this specific Dolorous Procession has been unusual, but it was not the first one, and, I sadly fear, it will not the last one. I feel obliged to warn you about this, so you can make an informed decision about this recurring event.

Cheers, and good gaming with your gaming pals! It is all that really matters! And remember: if you have a problem we are always here! [:)]

[A note to those wondering: "He says that all of this is a waste of electrons, and then he writes a paper??" Well, is not a waste of electrons for me: I'm an Italian who often works in foreign countries, and this is a way as good as another to hone my English skills. Like every dark cloud, the Dolorous Procession, too, has a silver lining - the only one, sadly.]

While you were writing this I played a few games. I don't remember what database, mod or whatever I was using. I don't think I really cared. Its not important to me because its not why I play games.

There is no Dolorous Procession. Your manifesto's are getting stranger as time goes on.

What exactly is wrong with you? I see a lot of passion but its mostly directed at playing games with the community rather than the game itself. This is what JSF is getting at. Not one scenario, db or anything else constructive. Just a whole lot of posts...that have the word I and me in it and what you think people do to you.
Its honestly strange.

Anyways....you're not getting anymore time of mine this weekend.

Linked! [:D]

Vincenzo_Beretta

ORIGINAL: mikmyk
At the end there is a sad goodbye (don't worry, it is never a goodbye...)

What exactly is wrong you really? I see a lot of passion but its mostly directed at playing games with the community rather than the game itself. This is what JSF is getting at. Not one scenario, db or anything else constructive. Just a whole lot of posts...that have the word I and me in it and what you think people do to you.

...As Mikmyk kindly exemplified here [:)]
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

At the end there is a sad goodbye (don't worry, it is never a goodbye...)

What exactly is wrong you really? I see a lot of passion but its mostly directed at playing games with the community rather than the game itself. This is what JSF is getting at. Not one scenario, db or anything else constructive. Just a whole lot of posts...that have the word I and me in it and what you think people do to you.

...As Mikmyk kindly exemplified here [:)]

Speaking of good examples..

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=27

I haven't been to this site in awhile but looks like Gunny and the guys are pretty focused on just building stuff and having fun with the game.

Time well spent.
Vincenzo_Beretta

Speaking of good examples..

What a short week-end! Hope you had a good time.
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?showforum=27

I haven't been to this site in awhile but looks like Gunny and the guys are pretty focused on just building stuff and having fun with the game.

Time well spent.

Thank you for notifying us all [:)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Major Snafu, I'm sorry you walked into this. Unfortunately all is not well in the Harpoon community, as you've seen first-hand, but there are a lot of good folks who are happy to help, it's just easy to get caught in the crossfire.

Vince, while Major Snafu is a new poster, you are not. You knew quite well what that comment in your first post would lead to and you seem to enjoy stirring things up. This thread is locked and you have a warning. If you continue to troll, you'll get a ban to think things over.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”