Noobie needing help

Share your best strategy tips with other gamers here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

t3685

Noobie needing help

Post by t3685 »

Hi,

I purchased BFTB a while back, but I have found it quite hard to wrap my head around the concepts off the game (I am more used to tactical scale games).Are there any small (in size and time) scenarios around I mess around with first? The tutorial scenario itself is already to big for me :).

Thanks in advance!
simovitch

RE: Noobie needing help

Post by simovitch »

Try Germans in "Hell on Wheels Counterattack".

Don't neglect the "withdraw" order.[;)]
simovitch

t3685

Post by t3685 »

Thanks. Do you happen to have tips on what attack formation to choose in what situation?
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

This particular scenario will be primarily defensive.

On attacks I usually use line to attack, especially on a broad front. And successive lines to punch through on a narrow corridor. I may switch to right or left echelon as the situation changes in front of the assault.

I usually won't order an assault until I'm within 1-2 Km of the target, and I use "defend" to move up into the front line, even though a 'move' command will default to defend after it is completed.
simovitch

t3685

Post by t3685 »

Thanks, I'll give this one a try.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

I wrote a detailed AAR on this scenario. Maybe it could be useful. It is in the AARs section.
t3685

Post by t3685 »

Thanks, I'll have a look to get a feel for the basic approach. Still trying to figure out the commands of this game.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Note that the Hell on Wheels scenario is a lot easier to win as the Allies than the Germans, and there are 2 other AARs using different strategies in addition to mine in the AAR section. (mine is the maneuver warfare approach preventing most German units from fighting effectively, another is the all-out assault approach, and the other is the "Move fast and get inside their reaction loop before they can react" approach). All three can work because the allies have an overwhelming advantage. I also wrote a thread about how to win with the Germans when German reinforcements are allowed using a mobile defence(a German win without reinforcements is improbable).

In sum the Allies have to break through to link up with Patton and the Germans must fight a defensive delaying battle which can be a bit much for a beginner.

You might have to set the thread view to "all" to see all the AARs of interest, because some are pretty old.
t3685

Post by t3685 »

After playing this scenario as the Allies (for an easy win :)) I was left with one question. At a certain point I order an armoured battalion to attack one of the objectives. However after initially moving out, they just sat there for about an hour, without seeming to actively moving or engaging the enemy. Can anyone fill me in what I'm seeing here?
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Usually that means the force's HQ has routed or is still recovering from rout, or is otherwise suppressed. Use F2 key to view rout status.
simovitch

Lieste

Post by Lieste »

Or possibly they moved from start point to FUP, and all is normal?
A little longer and the assault may go in. Some freezes are unavoidable and intended. The challenge is trying to place and time them so they aren't strongly influenced by enemy action.
t3685

Post by t3685 »

The HQ unit was safely behind. I will pay closer attention next time to see where the FUP is. I thought they had already gone over to the attack. Their current task read assaulting so.

Return to “The War Room”