just got 32" monitor/tv

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

just got 32" monitor/tv

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yesterday i got a new monitor/tv screen for my pc and not bad for 32" or 1360x768 as widescreen while playing. Wanted to get a HD screen so i can watch HD movies as well other games.

It does give extra viewable on the battlefield. This tv brand i never heard of, since i came from midwest, the brand name is Westinghouse for 229.99 at Target. Was going to grab the sceptre brand i use to have, but this is cheaper and im happy with it, wasnt sure if i will like it so Target told me i can return it and included the warranty or protection for refund if i didnt like it.

For those who having problems getting widescreen setup, check your readme file under Matrix/Game folder for details.

Thank Matrix for having this supports!

RisingSun
wdolson

RE: just got 32" monitor/tv

Post by wdolson »

Westinghouse is a very old US brand.  I think most of their appliances today are somebody else's they rebrand.  George Westinghouse made his first fortune with a new type of railroad car braking system.  He then went on to be a pioneer in electricity distribution.  Westinghouse had Nikola Tesla develop an alternating current generator for his company that allowed Westinghouse to beat out rival Thomas Edison who was promoting Direct current power distribution.

After pioneering the electricity generating market, Westinghouse got into the electric appliance market.  By the 1950s they were a major brand of radios and later TVs.  I don't think they make many of their own appliances anymore like other big names in early TVs and radios like RCA, Sylvania, Zenith, etc.

Just a bit of history. 

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

Trivia to think about while you do your WitP-AE turns:

Besides having a tiny role in making your 32" TV, Westinghouse also makes the A4W reactor and prior to that the A2W reactor.
These reactors are what make 94000t - 106000t nuclear aircraft carriers move through the water at 30+ knots.

So while their TV's might not be anything to write home about, I can assure you that they do make decent nuclear propulsion systems for ships.

[;)]

Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I play on a 52" with 1920x1080. It's quite an experience.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Guys are spoiled.[:D]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Westinghouse is a very old US brand.  I think most of their appliances today are somebody else's they rebrand.  George Westinghouse made his first fortune with a new type of railroad car braking system.  He then went on to be a pioneer in electricity distribution.  Westinghouse had Nikola Tesla develop an alternating current generator for his company that allowed Westinghouse to beat out rival Thomas Edison who was promoting Direct current power distribution.

After pioneering the electricity generating market, Westinghouse got into the electric appliance market.  By the 1950s they were a major brand of radios and later TVs.  I don't think they make many of their own appliances anymore like other big names in early TVs and radios like RCA, Sylvania, Zenith, etc.

Just a bit of history. 

Bill

I noticed that, i did some research on the wikipedia and they been around since late 1800's. It didnt mention anything about TVs, but did mention what you saying. So i wasnt sure what the deal of this brand name, so many different brand names out there. Been using my 19" Sceptre for over five years and decided to grad a bigger one and see what the different. Didnt want to get any bigger than this, would be too much for my neck and eyes looking all over the place up close. Hmm feel like three feets in front of me while typing on the keyboard.
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

ORIGINAL: Grizzly

I'm quite happy with my 24" with a resolution of 1920x1200
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
eloso

Post by eloso »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Yesterday i got a new monitor/tv screen for my pc and not bad for 32" or 1360x768 as widescreen while playing. Wanted to get a HD screen so i can watch HD movies as well other games.

RisingSun

FWIW that isn't true HD.

You'll need a resolution of 1920 x 1080 if you plan to watch Blu-Ray in it's true glory. Most HD TV channels still broadcast in 1280 x 720 around here so if that is the case it will be sufficient for your needs.
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: OSO

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

RisingSun

FWIW that isn't true HD.

You'll need a resolution of 1920 x 1080 if you plan to watch Blu-Ray in it's true glory. Most HD TV channels still broadcast in 1280 x 720 around here so if that is the case it will be sufficient for your needs.

In 32" TV most of people will not see real difference between 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720.
In that size TV pixels are small and placed tight and you will watch it from at lest 7 feet distance or more so watching Full HD movies it still big experience.
I have at home two 32" TV, one is HD ready and second Full HD and when i playing Blu-Ray a really do not sea any difference.

Real difference between HD ready and Full HD start to be problem in bigger TV when pixel size and distance between pixels is start to be problem.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Been watching movies and shows on Netflix as well my blueray, and i can tell the different. Remember seeing display screen over Officemax and showing some very good high quailty images. But to get that you will need something that support it, just because you have HD TV/Monitor doesnt mean you get the result in all screenies.

Like you said having the right equipments like blueray, netflix, etcs plus the right cable hookups as well. In this 1360x768 resolution is pretty good and some full screen in movies and games losing about 30% that are blacked out. Believe it can support all resolution as long the tv/monitor support it and how it was setup.

Also forgot to mention when you hook up your pc to this big screen, having 15 pins VGA hook up is a big different between HDMI to DVI ports. So if you really want some good quaity images, better off getting the HDMI-DVI cable, there also adapters, but look like some arent that good. This one should do it...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-AM2240 ... e/13069352
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

HDMI or DVI is also a requirement to watch Blu-ray. Because VGA doesn't support HDCP and the Blu-ray copy protection requires the use of it.
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

ORIGINAL: sandman455

Trivia to think about while you do your WitP-AE turns:

Besides having a tiny role in making your 32" TV, Westinghouse also makes the A4W reactor and prior to that the A2W reactor.
These reactors are what make 94000t - 106000t nuclear aircraft carriers move through the water at 30+ knots.

So while their TV's might not be anything to write home about, I can assure you that they do make decent nuclear propulsion systems for ships.

[;)]

And them suckers are HUGE! I re-enlisted inside the reactor vessel in #1 plant prior to fueling while assigned to PCU George Washington.

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

HDMI or DVI is also a requirement to watch Blu-ray. Because VGA doesn't support HDCP and the Blu-ray copy protection requires the use of it.

That is true, i have heard of this and make sense.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Now that's just wrong ..... w/o at least posting a photo ......
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Now that's just wrong ..... w/o at least posting a photo ......
You ask me to clean and dust my desk? [X(]
Maybe Saturday. [;)]
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

I have a pair of 28in monitors that I use for my setup.
Ryan Opel
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I manage to take a pic with a camera, didnt come out super clear and the resolution was really too big, so i break it down by 1/2. Infact this tv screen took up the whole desktop and had to remove the lower shelves on the top, so it would slide back and wouldnt be too close my face.

For those who have bigger or dual monitors would like to see them as well.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Do you run AE in full screen on the main one? I've tried that setup with AE in windowed mode, and trying to get the map to scroll to the right requires moving the mouse all the way to the right edge of the second monitor. [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

I have also run AE at 1920 x 1080 on my 46" HD tv. No current picture of it, but it was beautiful! [&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

ORIGINAL: USS America

ORIGINAL: rjopel

Do you run AE in full screen on the main one? I've tried that setup with AE in windowed mode, and trying to get the map to scroll to the right requires moving the mouse all the way to the right edge of the second monitor. [:D]

I have the same problem on the right side of the screen, but that what they make arrow keys for.
Ryan Opel

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”