Improved interface

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

blastpop

Improved interface

Post by blastpop »

I can't speak for others, but I feel the interface could be somewhat improved. With each iteration of Distant Worlds for example, the interface is improved upon and some useful features are added. This is not intended to be a critical post, but I am asking for some improvement. A few things come to mind that would help me at least. They are:

1- Where there is an option to click on text, there should be at least a drop shadow or better yet a box surrounding it- aka a button. There are a number of screens that this is exhibited- for example the "assign/form" on the HQ screen. There is a plethora of these kinds of choices, that are almost hidden amongst other non click-able text. It seems to me Gary Grigsby has been using this technique for at least the last 20 years- I think it is time for a change and to step it up a notch. Why would you not want to make it easier by making a players click-able choices more obvious when located on disparate parts of a screen?

2- The combat results displays are hard to follow- even if you know what you are looking for. Everyone takes in information and processes it differently, much like the fact that folks learn differently (one size does not fit all). Instead of having the choice of battle details from shot for shot to just an end result, instead or in addition, allow the player to customize via modules, what and where on the screen the information appears to best suit his purpose.

3- I am not a fan of the putrid brownish red on the Soviet screens. Can a color pallet option be added so the player can change it to fit his likes and or mood?

I know, I want it all, but why not?

Mark
Farfarer61

RE: Improved interface

Post by Farfarer61 »

I would be content if I could click on a unit and have functioning RR hexes displayed at the same time.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Text that can be clicked on is supposed to be either light blue in color or on a button (this may not be true for the game options, preferences and save game screen). If there's a screen where this isn't true, please identify it for us. Thanks.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Shift + click, ctrl+ click and all the other usual stuff that are standard for all computer interfaces since windows 3.11. [;)]
Shazman

Post by Shazman »

ORIGINAL: blastpop

3- I am not a fan of the putrid brownish red on the Soviet screens. Can a color pallet option be added so the player can change it to fit his likes and or mood?

Somewhere along the line someone got it stuck in their heads that red-brown color was WW2 Soviet standard. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Probably more of a green-brown or maybe even dull green like the M43 issue uniform. There were some brownish uniforms but not as much red as this game portrays. I have to agree with you that the red-brown is just plain ugly.
Shazman

Post by Shazman »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Text that can be clicked on is supposed to be either light blue in color or on a button (this may not be true for the game options, preferences and save game screen). If there's a screen where this isn't true, please identify it for us. Thanks.

I believe it's the light blue that is the same font and size of all the other print that he is talking about. While someone who has been with the game since the beginning might not think it's a big deal, noobs can miss the differing colors of the same size and style font and it can be a bit of a hassel picking out things when you really have no idea what you are doing in the first place. Probably making it more noob friendly is all he is asking for.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

ORIGINAL: Shazman
the red-brown is just plain ugly.

I think it should be more of a light brown.

Improved interface

I would like it when I press Shift-Z it stays that way instead of having to press it again at the start of every game turn. And also what Farfarer said about RR hexes.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

The light blue font color does not contrast with the Soviet brownish red for those items that need to be clicked on. So it is all to easy to miss and is a poor choice to be easily seen. Couple that with the fact none of us are getting any younger and it leads to usability issues... Hence my comment about using buttons instead of mere text.
Mark
saintsup

Post by saintsup »

ORIGINAL: Farfarer

I would be content if I could click on a unit and have functioning RR hexes displayed at the same time.

+1: what a pain in the a**
gingerbread

Post by gingerbread »

That is what happens if you are in rail mode and the unit is on a functioning rail hex.
fbs

Post by fbs »

I would be happy if I open the HQ unit and select SHOW SUBORDINATES, and then I clicked on a subordinate, it would select that subordinate on the right side pane.

As it is it show the subordinate but gives no indication where it is, so I have to chase it around the map (or go to commander's report and click on the hex coordinates to go to it, what's cumbersome).
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

ORIGINAL: Shazman

ORIGINAL: blastpop

Somewhere along the line someone got it stuck in their heads that red-brown color was WW2 Soviet standard. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Probably more of a green-brown or maybe even dull green like the M43 issue uniform. There were some brownish uniforms but not as much red as this game portrays. I have to agree with you that the red-brown is just plain ugly.

I didn't like that either. In fact, not having to look at the red-brown borders and background had much to do with my chosing the Germans for the first PBEM round.

I did come around to a makeshift solution, however. I made a copy of the Dat/Art/Giu folder and moved that copy to a safe place just in case I, as usual, made a pigs breakfast of everything. Then I made a new folder to serve as temporary repository; let's call that Frank. Opening the original Gui, I copied most images concerning the German view to Frank. There I renamed them to the names found on the corresponding Soviet images in the Gui. This done, I moved the German images in the Frank folder, now with the Soviet names on them, back to the original Gui, thus overwriting the original Soviet ones (are you still with me?). This created a sort of double German view; that is, it didn't matter what side I was playing, the interface would still be an Axis one. I didn't do this with the graphics for the buttons and other small details, though, but it doesn't look as bad. That did the trick!

In the screenie below, you can see the result. This is while playing the Soviet side. See the German flag as a bonus. [:)]

Attachments
AAA.jpg
AAA.jpg (199.54 KiB) Viewed 142 times
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

1. Even with FOW, we should be able to see the the color of the Army/Front of the enemy units rather a monotonous drap screen; since these units have been identified there is no reason to not allow one to see the color.

2. We should be able to see functioning enemy RRs; they have been identified by air/recon etc.

Marquo
PKH

Post by PKH »

I'd like a keyboard shortcut for railroad repair for the repair units, or a repair mode where they would automatically repair where possible when moved.

Also, support for dragging the map by left clicking an empty hex would be useful.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

One thing that has annyed me ever since starting play, is that one can't deactivate the F-buttons by simply clicking them again. If I click "R" to watch rail damage, I can click it again and it disappears. It would be equally nice if you could press F11 a second time after activating "reports" and be back in neutral (F1) mode. Now one has to search for the F1 all the time.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”