Java Status

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CaptDave

Java Status

Post by CaptDave »

It's known that there are some problems involving different releases of Java with regard to AE and Tracker both. This is one of those things where reading through individual threads takes entirely too much time, and it's almost impossible to come up with narrow enough search parameters to avoid search results that are just as long. So I'll ask...

For both AE and Tracker, what's the latest with regard to which version of Java should be used? I'm interested primarily because these are not the only Java applications I use, and I'm getting a bit tired of the daily popup telling me there is a Java update available. At least Java is more friendly than, say, Windows when it comes to such things!
n01487477

RE: Java Status

Post by n01487477 »

As one of the Tracker devs -
Java 32 bit Version 6.31 is what I have installed although it should work from 6.25 iirc. Staff has a problem with some of the later updates iirc. Version 7 did not work last time I checked.

By changing the batch file to point to the java version you want will help with multiple versions.
Win7 x64 example:-
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx768m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" nomap
pause

The big issue is the pwsdll.dll version you are using. Make sure you copy the correct one into the Tracker folder if you're having problems.
koniu

Post by koniu »

When i ask few months ago on tracker forum why Java 7 is not working with Tracer i get answer that this is because some king of Java code problems.

Now there have been 3 updates of Java. When i will return home i will check 1.7.3 version but i will count of it.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

It's known that there are some problems involving different releases of Java with regard to AE and Tracker both. This is one of those things where reading through individual threads takes entirely too much time, and it's almost impossible to come up with narrow enough search parameters to avoid search results that are just as long. So I'll ask...

For both AE and Tracker, what's the latest with regard to which version of Java should be used? I'm interested primarily because these are not the only Java applications I use, and I'm getting a bit tired of the daily popup telling me there is a Java update available. At least Java is more friendly than, say, Windows when it comes to such things!

Before this gets all wound up, to my knowledge AE itself does not use Java in any way. Tracker uses it of course, and to use both together one must employ it, but to play AE alone I don't think it's needed. My impression has always been that AE is coded in C+ or one of its variants.

If the above is not true, could a dev make a statement about Java and AE by itself?
The Moose
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Before this gets all wound up, to my knowledge AE itself does not use Java in any way. Tracker uses it of course, and to use both together one must employ it, but to play AE alone I don't think it's needed. My impression has always been that AE is coded in C+ or one of its variants.

If the above is not true, could a dev make a statement about Java and AE by itself?
Not a Dev of AE but obviously code Tracker ... AE doesn't use Java in any way. I know this. And infact Tracker wouldn't have been created in Java either, had Floyd or I not wanted to learn Java ... hence Tracker for witp was born and then AE came along and we just continued the development cycle..

AE doesn't need a java install for anything except Tracker use.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

When I first read the tile, I thought it was about another way to capture the island of Java... Got to find something else to do with my life... Naw, I like what I am doing! [:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Not a Dev of AE but obviously code Tracker ... AE doesn't use Java in any way. I know this. And infact Tracker wouldn't have been created in Java either, had Floyd or I not wanted to learn Java ... hence Tracker for witp was born and then AE came along and we just continued the development cycle..

AE doesn't need a java install for anything except Tracker use.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

I took one Java course in the past and thought it was powerful, but picky. I shudder to think Tracker was a "learning experience."

I just installed Tracker for the third time on my second OS. Have had hick-ups each time, different ones each time, but always succeeded in getting it going. I know some players are hesitant to give it a go due to Java fiddiling, but I'd encourage they give it a try. I've never seen you unable to get somebody up and running who could follow directions.
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And here I clicked on this thread as I thought you were talking about the island!
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

As one of the Tracker devs -
Java 32 bit Version 6.31 is what I have installed although it should work from 6.25 iirc. Staff has a problem with some of the later updates iirc. Version 7 did not work last time I checked.

By changing the batch file to point to the java version you want will help with multiple versions.
Win7 x64 example:-
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx768m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" nomap
pause

The big issue is the pwsdll.dll version you are using. Make sure you copy the correct one into the Tracker folder if you're having problems.

No problems at this point, just being sure I don't introduce any due to known problems! [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”