Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum!

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Gil R.

Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum!

Post by Gil R. »

We at Western Civilization Software would like to welcome you to this forum, and look forward to discussing COH with you in the weeks (and then months and years) ahead. Now that the game has been formally announced you probably have a question or two, so please, ask away!

We'll try to get some AAR's up before too long, since we know you'd like to see what the game is like. (Well, it's like the boardgame, but you probably don't want to take just my word for it...) For now, though, we'll try to respond to your questions.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
PunkReaper

RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum!

Post by PunkReaper »

Are you planning on following the board game expansions if this release is successful?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Our license covers the entire COH series and work on future expansions has already begun, but we can't share more details on that yet. But this will not be the last game made with this engine...

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Great news, Thanks for the quick reply.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Just asked this question..I now have my answer...lovely jubley.

Would be great once the three East front titles have been made we then get a map editor aswell, so we can make STALINGRAD!!!

Oh Matrix and WCS and Academy Games I say a huge thank you for making this a reality.

Are there animations i.e tracers\smoke etc?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Smoke, yes. I honestly can't remember about tracers -- perhaps one of the testers will jump in here. (I'm splitting my time between "Brother Against Brother," our upcoming Civil War game, and COH, so I'm not omniscient regarding COH.)
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

cue my usual graphics display question - will it display at 1920x1080 or is it resolution limited?

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yes. When you click to attack the chosen unit you see a burst of tracers as well as hearing equipment sounds.

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

cue my usual graphics display question - will it display at 1920x1080 or is it resolution limited?

cheers

You have 1920X1080, 1440X900 and 13 other specific choices in addition to the Use Desktop Resolution.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes, we have tracers and resolution is completely scalable. I've been testing primarily at 1920x1080 and 1680x1050.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
wodin

Post by wodin »

How about fire?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Where there's smoke...
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

Thank you for the welcome to the forum.

I will be playing this game in 2D hex mode with counters/chits with a screen resolution os 1920 x1080. How is the screen zooming mechanic used? I am guessing with the mouse wheel is used to control zoom and mouse movement to move around the battlefield? I saw one picture with a 3D map with counters/chits, I'm worried that the 2D map turns into a 3D map if you zoom close enough, is that the case?

I want my play experience to be as close as possible to the board game version.

Thanks!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: JFalk68

How is the screen zooming mechanic used? I am guessing with the mouse wheel is used to control zoom and mouse movement to move around the battlefield?

I think you'll be very happy with the camera controls JFalk68. They work great. As you assumed, the mouse wheel zooms in and out, while holding down the right mouse button allows you to freely pan right and left. The same function also controls the tilt of the camera in 3-D mode when the mouse is moved up and down. You can also click and drag the map around using the left mouse button. The end result is very intuitive and seamless.

I saw one picture with a 3D map with counters/chits, I'm worried that the 2D map turns into a 3D map if you zoom close enough, is that the case?

Set your worries aside. They are two separate views that can be changed on the fly in game with a simple click in the toolbar. No exiting to an options panel. If you look at the screens on the Conflict of Heroes product page you'll see a button in the toolbar on the right which shows an eye set over another icon (second button from the top on the right column). Clicking that instantly changes the views. In 2-D(or top down) mode, as in the 3-D view, you can zoom in close or zoom out wide without ever leaving the view you want.

I'd have to ask Gil if he would mind if I posted a screen of it, but in 3-D mode, zoomed all the way out, you get the perspective that you are actually looking across a board on a table.

mo reb

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
wodin

Post by wodin »

Oh I didn't realise that. I love the 3D board with counters. Will make working out terrain so much easier. I though the zoomed in 2D view looked a little odd to be honest. Especially the strongpoint looked out of perspective.

I for one am very pleased we have a 3D map. Working out the terrain will no longer be a pain.

I'll put money on it that JFalk end sup playing on the 3D map.
Flickjax

Post by Flickjax »

Excellent can't wait....Easter maybe? I can't believe it has taken so long for a game like this to finally be developed on the PC :)

Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.
Smoke, yes. I honestly can't remember about tracers -- perhaps one of the testers will jump in here.

Silly me, the question was, of course, about tracer animation. I was thinking of tracer bullets.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
I'd have to ask Gil if he would mind if I posted a screen of it, but in 3-D mode, zoomed all the way out, you get the perspective that you are actually looking across a board on a table.

That seems like a fine use of your screenshot-shooting program.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Here is a shot zoomed pretty far out that captures what I was speaking of. What's really nice is when playing in the 3-D mode, as you lower the camera the view tilts automatically showing a more panoramic view. It's very fluid and natural. IMO WCS didn't spare any detail when making the in-game camera with the various playing style in mind. You'll quickly realize that you won't have to choose between functional and aesthetically pleasing. 3-D and Top Down. Traditional and GUI innovation. You get it all.

Note that I hit the 'I' Hotkey to remove all traces of the UI and also some quality was lost reducing the file to a size that Matrix allows members to upload.

mo reb

Attachments
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (539.21 KiB) Viewed 336 times
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Counters on a 3D map look surprisingly good - even at that level of zoom-out. Great stuff!
Cheers

Jim
tide1530

Post by tide1530 »

Yup that's sweet [;)] The ping pong table in my basement might actually get used for what it was made for [:D]

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”