Which schedule do you use for spending administrative points?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

fbs

Which schedule do you use for spending administrative points?

Post by fbs »

As soviet in GC 41-45 I try to reach turn 21 (11/3/1941) with 500 points, to take benefit of the elimination of unit creation penalty. That means I try to accumulate 25 points per turn starting on turn 3, making it 450 points by 10/30/2011.

So I try to spend 50 (turn 1-2), 25 (turn 3-20), 500 (turn 21), 50 (turn 22 onwards).

Which schedule do you use as soviet?
Commanderski

RE: Which schedule do you use for spending administrative points?

Post by Commanderski »

While I have been playing the Soviet side for a very short time I have not stuck to any schedule. I use them as I need them. The situation can change from turn to turn.

However after playing a full campaign I may see the need for one. Still lots to learn in ths game.
Gorforlin

Post by Gorforlin »

What should we build and when after 10/1941? Divisions, Corp, tank, calvery or Rifle?

Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

ORIGINAL: Gorforlin

What should we build and when after 10/1941? Divisions, Corp, tank, calvery or Rifle?

None of the above except for the cavalry corps conversions. Early builds are way overpriced. The real dates for saving up lots of APs are April of 42, October of 42, and January of 43. Those are the big break points in terms of unit builds and cost reductions. The blizzard is for accumulating APs, not wasting them.

It's almost never a good idea to buy things at a premium, you are just robbing peter to pay for paul.
WitE Alpha Tester
fbs

Post by fbs »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

None of the above except for the cavalry corps conversions. Early builds are way overpriced. The real dates for saving up lots of APs are April of 42, October of 42, and January of 43. Those are the big break points in terms of unit builds and cost reductions. The blizzard is for accumulating APs, not wasting them.

It's almost never a good idea to buy things at a premium, you are just robbing peter to pay for paul.

Right, but we need to buy something - the points accumulate only to 500.

I buy quite a bit of support units - they are only 1 point a piece, and have no early price penalties.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Support units, leadership changes, reassignments, forts, airplane upgrades...there's always something to do with APs.
WitE Alpha Tester
Don77

Post by Don77 »

Hmm,

In my limited experience, I suggest:
Overall 41- upgrade airforce, rellocate SU, disband unwanted units/SU, plus re-assignments etc (as per FlaviusX)
Turn 19/Oct 41 (Pre-blizzard) - leader changes
Turn 21/Nov 41 (end of additional AP cost for early 41 surprise) - Build Army HQ you need (they don't drop below 25 AP)
Turn 29/Jan 42 - Combine existing Cav Div Cav Corps
Then - Build additional SU for corps planned for '42
Turn 42/Apr 42 (reduced cost for Divs) - Build extra bdes/Divs as a basis for corps

Any other thoughts?

Don
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

Is it still recommended to disband Soviet Corps HQs in the early turns of the war? I remember reading somewhere that some would consider it better to just wait out their natural disbands.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

No. Let them autodisband. I loved disabanding them in earlier iterations of the game, but things have changed since then. And you now want to keep the airborne HQs, which wasn't true before.

I've switched over to mass airfield disbands instead. (All the SAD bases.)

WitE Alpha Tester
Don77

Post by Don77 »

Flav,

Could I ask (confirm) what happens (re:APs) in Apr, Oct and Jan 43?

May 42 - Divs reduce to 10AP
Nov 42?
Feb 43?

Don
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

April 1942 = Tank Corps
October 1942 = Better OOB for Rifle Corps; you can build a few Guards Corps
January 1943 = Rifle Corps creation drops in half, to 10 APs.

You need to plan on having a hoard of APs when April 1942 hits, and January 1943, because in both cases you will want to spend alot on Corps creation.

I find myself many turns looking for ways to spend APs. I think alot of players spend too much lining up colors and armies perfectly. I am not as anal on this, and would rather save the APs in alot of cases.

I also build SUs with "extra" points, replace leaders. Usually I save swapping air units for last, but you will have the ability to do this.

I also build extra divisions in May, though manage your REFIT so those units remain shells. You don't want them to fill-out and dilute the Red Army, unless you have really lost alot of units. In this case, you are just buying them ahead just in case. You can always disband them if your unit losses in summer are low.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”