War in the West

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Dili

RE: War in the West

Post by Dili »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
So what would be your idea? everyone plots their moves at same time?

Yes, I know that WEGO system is not a easy thing to do but I'm getting tired to play in this way (speaking about pc wargame of course).

WitP is a perfect example how this system can be funny to play and more challenging as well.
Also I remember Ageod American Civil War, two weeks per turn and still absolutely playable.

WitE is a fantastic game, very detailed and complicated but I noticed that something is missing, I discussed about that with other players and personally, I found what I think is missing for my taste: the simultaneity.
Initially is intriguing discover the right path, which attack will be more efficient or the best defence against a breakthrough, then I understand that surprise is a factor too important.
Thanks to good recon you know exactly where the units are, no way to do a probe attack or mask an encirclement, playing WitP or AACW there is a totally different feeling, your units can be intercepted or moved in a wrong direction, with IGO-UGO is almost impossible.

Said that, I think that WitE is a very good game but simply I don't like the design system decisions [:)]

Sorry i have understood you wrong. Yes the WEGO is much better.

I actually i am a bit disapointed by strategy games evolution's, it seems going in circles. I don't know if that is due to lack of developments in code language to make it easier to do -know nothing about that -, AI or other things. I think it is telling that i still remember the failed Road to Moscow and what it promised.

kafka

Post by kafka »

I would bet that War in the West will allow Germany almost complete control over production. Since The strategic bombing will be a major factor for the Allies. I would not be able to fathom how the game could be playable with a "fixed" production. Since the Allies would just bomb the factories to dust that produce the best weapons etc. Take out the Tiger factory, then the Panther factory and just continue working down the list.

yes, I really hope they include some kind of control over production because otherwise I won't get the next game. I purchased WITE, and its really a shame that the absence of any control over production has ruined an otherwise excellent game (overseeing some UI problems), at least to me.
IronDuke_slith

Post by IronDuke_slith »

ORIGINAL: kafka
I would bet that War in the West will allow Germany almost complete control over production. Since The strategic bombing will be a major factor for the Allies. I would not be able to fathom how the game could be playable with a "fixed" production. Since the Allies would just bomb the factories to dust that produce the best weapons etc. Take out the Tiger factory, then the Panther factory and just continue working down the list.

yes, I really hope they include some kind of control over production because otherwise I won't get the next game. I purchased WITE, and its really a shame that the absence of any control over production has ruined an otherwise excellent game (overseeing some UI problems), at least to me.

I wouldn't buy it unless production was optional at best. Creating unhistorical TOEs or getting the Panther in 1940 would just ruin the whole experience. Any realistic production model, which accurately modelled the German constraints of raw materials and oil, wouldn't give you that much flexibility anyway.

Still, each to his own.

regards,
ID.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Would rather like to see Africa. Sicily and Normandy are the least interesting theatres from Axis perspective.

A North Africa theater version would be more interesting to me than a Western Europe one.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
So what would be your idea? everyone plots their moves at same time?

Yes, I know that WEGO system is not a easy thing to do but I'm getting tired to play in this way (speaking about pc wargame of course).

WitP is a perfect example how this system can be funny to play and more challenging as well.
Also I remember Ageod American Civil War, two weeks per turn and still absolutely playable.

WitE is a fantastic game, very detailed and complicated but I noticed that something is missing, I discussed about that with other players and personally, I found what I think is missing for my taste: the simultaneity.
Initially is intriguing discover the right path, which attack will be more efficient or the best defence against a breakthrough, then I understand that surprise is a factor too important.
Thanks to good recon you know exactly where the units are, no way to do a probe attack or mask an encirclement, playing WitP or AACW there is a totally different feeling, your units can be intercepted or moved in a wrong direction, with IGO-UGO is almost impossible.

Said that, I think that WitE is a very good game but simply I don't like the design system decisions [:)]

If not WEGO than at least a system like in TOAW where there's a certain need to synchronise. One of the parts where WITE doesnt make sense is that a unit can fight all week, open a hole, and another unit can warp through with the entire movement allowance of a week. This creates all kinds of knock on balance problems.

Though unlike TOAW one should be able to control the amount of time one wants to invest in a combat.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Strategic bombing is going to be tricky at best - the allies missed a huge opportunity to target the German power-grid, thinking it would be difficult, if not impossible to inflict significant damage.....after the war, they found out that if they had targeted about three dozen key energy generation plants, they could have inflicted fatal damage on the German war economy.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Maybe research could be abstracted (ex pay a certain level of resources every turn for so many turns) with only production being really adjustable. Also upgrades to factories should follow a clear path (ex if a factory produced chassis X as a tank, it can only upgrade to producing either the same, but more advanced tank or maybe an SP variant). That way we can limit people from changing a facility for Pz II's over to Tiger production).

But a major rethinking should be made of the TOE's upgrades. A player should be able to decide if he wants an upgrade or not.
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Same as in WITP, since strategic bombing was a major factor hence why Japan has control over production.

I can see no other way to make the game playable otherwise.

At the moment there is no German control of production but we are still in very early development. That said however, your strategy of bombing fixed production factories would not work. These factories are hard to damage and repair very quickly. Better strategy is to bomb basic industries like synthetic oil plants and degrade the German railnet by bombing marshalling yards.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Your breaking my heart there Jaw.......I sure hope they add it in.....it would really add to the game for the better IMO.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

I think it will be interesting to see how the strategic bombing campaign goes.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

It would be a massive coup if the strategic bombing portion of WITW ended up being better than the game designed specifically for it. I could never really get into Bombing the Reich, hard as I tried.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

I think it will be interesting to see how the strategic bombing campaign goes.

Try BTR [:D]. Just as the basic air combat model for UV/WitP used BTR as a starting point, I suspect that that WitW will trace a heritage back to that Grigsby game as well.

Of course daily turns with the ability to target anything with anything does make BTR play just about as slowly as WitP [:)]
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Your breaking my heart there Jaw.......I sure hope they add it in.....it would really add to the game for the better IMO.

+1

Since basically the allies have got several inexhaustable sources of materiel that are beyond the German's reach, its only fair that the Axis get to do some tweaking to their production. Basically if the Axis are not allowed some leeway in production and unit recruitment, what's the point of playing? The Axis had some wasted opportunities, why do we have to repeat their mistakes?
Karri

Post by Karri »

ORIGINAL: jaw

Same as in WITP, since strategic bombing was a major factor hence why Japan has control over production.

I can see no other way to make the game playable otherwise.

At the moment there is no German control of production but we are still in very early development. That said however, your strategy of bombing fixed production factories would not work. These factories are hard to damage and repair very quickly. Better strategy is to bomb basic industries like synthetic oil plants and degrade the German railnet by bombing marshalling yards.

How about units and TOEs?
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

Since basically the allies have got several inexhaustable sources of materiel that are beyond the German's reach, its only fair that the Axis get to do some tweaking to their production. Basically if the Axis are not allowed some leeway in production and unit recruitment, what's the point of playing? The Axis had some wasted opportunities, why do we have to repeat their mistakes?

Replace the word "allies" with "Soviets" and read the irony.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
vicberg

Post by vicberg »

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

+1

Looks like another completely unbalanced game. I think I'll hold off on this one.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04
Aren't the Germans able to deal significant damage to Soviet industry through City Bombing air missions? Or at least, whatever the Soviets haven't evacuated to Chlakov yet. The only reason I don't do it myself is because I heard it was a frowned upon practice.
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

I renew the suggestion I wrote here.
If the Axis player will have the possibility of shifting forces between fronts, he'll feel less framed into a preset schedule, even if he's not able to tinker the production.
kafka

Post by kafka »

Looks like another completely unbalanced game.

the problem being there is a vocal minority who thinks this should be no game at all, and in order to achieve this the gameplay has to be reduced by putting the 'player' into an 'historical' straight jacket. Anyway since I simply don't like such reduced gameplay I guess I'll have to spend my money on something else, as there are so many other opportunities :-)
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Karri

How about units and TOEs?

What do you want to know about units and TOEs?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”