Disant & Weird Worlds: Partial Conversion Mod (Concept)

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Ridiculous

Disant & Weird Worlds: Partial Conversion Mod (Concept)

Post by Ridiculous »

Hello,

Like many people today, I work long hours and have less time for gaming. Thus when I sit down to game I want to feel like I have accomplished something. That being said 4x games usually take way to long to finish in short 15 minutes to 30 hour time frames. So I looked into this game a while back and even posted on the forum.

I want to try and convert this game to play like a game called Weird Worlds. The great thing about weird worlds was that it was sit and and play and win in 15 minutes. Explore the galaxy, get into battles and come back home within a time frame.

I am looking for a concept here, since I have limited modding experience. Can this be done? If so what needs to be done and can you point me in the right direction.

Background on Weird Worlds:

Main objective is to explore the galaxy and make it back within a year limit. You can be late but it takes away from score.

Expanded explanation:
Objective of game play: To explore, to treaty or to expand (territories). Depending on your starting ship class you'll get more points for one of those three. Lots of events and items abound.... Such as meet a techno-mage and install a device which lets you explore near black holes without gravity effecting you.

1. Over "galaxy" map: This is where you see all the solar systems you can go to, where the Nebula is laid out and what not. All traveling takes place here. Size needs to be able to be scaled.
Smallest/Smaller/Small/Medium/Large/Larger/Largest [This could be just Small/Medium/Large]

As for the Nebula, you can increase or decrease the amount. You ship should move quite a bit slower through Nebula because of it's volatile nature. There would be engines that would speed up travel through nebula but would be slower in "empty" space, but rare engines would be fast in both.

2. Events: They trigger on the over world map and either open up new places (black holes, etc) or have little animated ships circling a planet... If you enter territory of an alien race, you can enter (allies), attack (neutral) or leave (neutral, or be attacked (hostile), which leads to...

3. Ship to ship fighting: Happens in a set area without background galactic map. Can escape by going to the borders of the map and "out running" the opponent. Will then go to the galactic map and you'll retreat to the nearest explored friendly system (automated + wasting precious time)

Every ship has set cargo for carrying items, weapons, armor
Plus in addition they have weapon slots, armor slots, accessory slots to upgrade you vanilla ship.

Additional Notes: This could be turned into a longer game than 15 minutes or 30 minutes, but those would be default.

Why this needs to be a conversion?
Why do I think this needs to be a conversion? Because the best part of Weird Worlds was the mods. So I don't know if you can insert mods into a mod but if you can a conversion is not needed.

Why Distant Worlds?
Weird Worlds is a very old game, this one is newer and from some of the mods I've seen could be similar if not based on 4x. Weird Worlds was super fun! It's engine and capabilities were severely limited. I believe this could be the next Weird Worlds, but it'd obviously be called Distant & Weird Worlds: (Insert mod name here)

I want to thank Matrix Games [&o]for making Distant Worlds, but more so for making it modder friendly. It gives longevity and allows for awesome things to be created!

Thanks and please comment on any thoughts.
TriggerHappy57

Reinventing the Wheel

Post by TriggerHappy57 »

What your looking for is fundamentally a different game, not really just a mod.

Something like FTL might be more what your looking for.

Linky: FTL Kickstarter

It looks to offer a more brisk experience, and yet still has some 4X mechanics.

Return to “Design and Modding”