Held Minsk, but did I have fun??

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

GORTwillSAVEus

Held Minsk, but did I have fun??

Post by GORTwillSAVEus »

So before any takes this as a slam against this game,...understand I'm still a newbie to this immense game.
I brought this game a few weeks ago, and have only been able to spend a few hours playing so far.
I have read the manuals, and of course it is only beginning to make sense as I play, but I'm still missing something.

I played a few of the smaller scenarios (very quickly) and not knowing what I was doing.
Then I felt more confidant to dive in and give it a go.
I played Minsk from both sides.
As the Germans, I finished with a Draw.
As the Russians, I had a Decisive Victory.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I thought that I'd be enjoying the game by now.
Perhaps, (and I'm sure this is really the problem) I still don't know what I'm doing.

When I played Minsk as the Russians, I really didn't do anything per se.
Essentially I kept backing up, until time ran out, but that was about it.
Overall, I'm just not having fun playing this game.

Maybe Battle Academy is more up my alley.
Is there anyone else who felt initially as I do, but they now love the game and are having fun?
I really want to give this a chance, but I almost feel like this just too tedious and isn't my type of game.
By the way, I have played BattleFront's Strategic Command, and loved that game.
gids

RE: Held Minsk, but did I have fun??

Post by gids »

i personally didnt like most of the Scenarios in game ,try a GC as germans
FB jacky heusequin
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Apollo11 - please read this.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Disclaimer: Below is my own personal opinion!

The WitE is Grogrand game with steep learning curve.

It is not "Beer and pretzel" wargame made for everyone's taste... this is for people who played similar games before and enjoy the genre... I don't think that WitE can be much appealing for newbies who never played similar games before...

BTW, I believe that most of us here have decades of experience with similar wargames!

Some of the HEX based wargames / simulations I played for long long time:

World at War: Operation Crusader
World at War: Stalingrad
World at War: D-Day - America Invades
TOAW (in many incarnations)
UV
WitP
WitP-AE
WitE

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
AFV

Post by AFV »

What were the settings as the Russian? Easy, Normal, Challenging?
GORTwillSAVEus

Post by GORTwillSAVEus »

Thanks gids,..I took your advice and started a Grand Campaign. I'll have to come back and give an update as I progress through the game. I'm already beginning to see a difference.
GORTwillSAVEus

Post by GORTwillSAVEus »

ORIGINAL: AFV

What were the settings as the Russian? Easy, Normal, Challenging?

I used Normal settings with the FOW off and such,..
Just started a Grand Campaign to see if that makes a difference in game play.
GORTwillSAVEus

Post by GORTwillSAVEus »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Disclaimer: Below is my own personal opinion!

The WitE is Grogrand game with steep learning curve.

It is not "Beer and pretzel" wargame made for everyone's taste... this is for people who played similar games before and enjoy the genre... I don't think that WitE can be much appealing for newbies who never played similar games before...

BTW, I believe that most of us here have decades of experience with similar wargames!

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks Leo for your response. However, I would say that at some point everyone was a newbie at some point. We all have to take those few baby-steps when we learn anything new and sometimes (if you're lucky) someone steps in as a mentor. While I may be a newbie with this game, I too have a long history with war games.

I want to like this game. I also wanted to see if anyone else had the same initial experience and pushed through until they enjoyed the game.

As gids recommended, I'm starting a GC and am already seeing a difference.
I'm sure that I'll still be learning new things each time I play this game.
That's very cool to me,..I'm sure you've also played games that were so easy to learn that they became boring very quickly.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Great to see new peeps.

The AI vs German Player GC is best AI ever made. AI vs Russian player is ok, but getting better.

German player vs Russian Player all things being equal is hard.

The game is much better now then it was a year ago. The player vs player is very fun and no 2 games are alike.

I expect the game to keep getting better as 2by3 does bust the asses tring to get things right.

I have not liked some stuff they have done, but over all with each patch the game is marching in the right direction.

Best AI ever and best Eastern front game, its not perfect. But its close.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: GORTwillSAVEus

However, I would say that at some point everyone was a newbie at some point. We all have to take those few baby-steps when we learn anything new and sometimes (if you're lucky) someone steps in as a mentor. While I may be a newbie with this game, I too have a long history with war games.

I want to like this game. I also wanted to see if anyone else had the same initial experience and pushed through until they enjoyed the game.

As gids recommended, I'm starting a GC and am already seeing a difference.
I'm sure that I'll still be learning new things each time I play this game.
That's very cool to me,..I'm sure you've also played games that were so easy to learn that they became boring very quickly.

You are absolutely correct... we all have been beginners with this kind of "monster" games at one point... [:)]

And it is great to see new faces enjoying our hobby because, let's face it, we are all very very "niche" group loving "niche" genre... [:D]

All I was trying to say is that WitE was advertised as Grognard game and it takes a lot of time, energy and patience to learn the ropes - but once you do it you will be massively rewarded for the effort! [:)]

The people here are as passionate for WitE in 12+ months of it's existence as they were when it was released - it is the best sign of game longevity!!!

Similarly even 10 year old Gary Grigsby UV ("Uncommon Valor") is still played together with its descendants Gary Grisby WitP ("War in the Pacific") and WitP-AE ("War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition") - one just have to see how alive the forums are!

Therefore you can freely play some shorter scenarios to learn the basic ropes and experiment with game settings - you can also, even in parallel, start grand campaign against AI and see how it all fits together - I wish you good fun and great time! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Attachments
WitE.gif
WitE.gif (46.89 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
GORTwillSAVEus

Post by GORTwillSAVEus »

Wanted to give a quick update. (perhaps prematurely)

I started a GC and am finding the following:
- I can see that there's more to love as opposed to playing one of the smaller scenarios
- I find myself wanting to play the game even more so
- My two biggest enemies to playing are time and work
- I reviewed one of the AAR by gids and his opponent (can't remember his name). That was a learning experience.
- I have found that I push my troops too hard and too fast, and with no regard for supplies, fuel, rail,....conclusion: Use the tools provided.
- Problem: I don't use the tools provided
gids

Post by gids »

yea that game was my 2nd GC,i got seriously beaten up there hehe,but be careful ,if you ever play a human opponent then the real fun starts ;),when you open that turn and you see a million men in a pocket....well i swear theres a chance a vein in your head wil burst and on the other side the first thing i ever do if i come from work is looking into the game and turns,some turns take me several days others like Very fast but i keep playing this game the moment it came out .This forum is the only forum i check everyday
also in A GC you can see you divisions growing and shrinking,you follow their morale and supply ,they actually mean something to you after 20 turns,in a scenario ,that feeling doesnt really grow with me(maybe the expansion will prove otherwise now )
FB jacky heusequin
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

h
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

ORIGINAL: RCH
ORIGINAL: Pelton

Great to see new peeps.

The AI vs German Player GC is best AI ever made. AI vs Russian player is ok, but getting better.

German player vs Russian Player all things being equal is hard.

The game is much better now then it was a year ago. The player vs player is very fun and no 2 games are alike.

I expect the game to keep getting better as 2by3 does bust the asses tring to get things right.

I have not liked some stuff they have done, but over all with each patch the game is marching in the right direction.

Best AI ever and best Eastern front game, its not perfect. But its close.

Pelton
LOL. This isn't Pelton. Who is this really? lol

Return to “After Action Reports”