another display issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Toro12

another display issue

Post by Toro12 »

Hi all,

I've read several of the posts regarding some folks display issues, and I have one of my own that is similar, but not quite. Here goes; any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

First, my native (and set) resolution is 1920 x 1080 on an Alien laptop, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M. I've gone through several iterations of changing the Quick Start with switches to try to resolve this, but no avail so far. This is what I'm seeing: the display seems to be in the correct proportions X-to-Y, but I'm seeing a 2" black bar at the top/bottom, and approximately 4" left/right. This makes the screen, obviously, hard to read. The command line/switches I'm using is:

"C:\Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080

I've ensured no emdashes before the "p", have tried adding a -f, even tried the -pxf1920 -pyf1080 (one post suggested that), but nothing seems to push the display to use the entire screen.

Any help/thoughts?
Karsten

RE: another display issue

Post by Karsten »

Did you upgrade to the latest patch taht was released a few days ago?
I had this problem earlier but no longer.
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

I use -w -px1920 -py1080 -noFire
Ryan Opel
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Yep, have the new update.

Tried the -w xxxxx -noFire -- carrying the pun, it didn't fire (work). Tried some variations therein, too...nada.

Any other ideas? I'll try anything short of sacrificing a chicken...
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Does it work on a lower resolution?

Possible the video drivers are not updated.
And I thought that someone else mentioned trouble with Alienware PCs with the video????
Michael
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Thanks, Nikel. It appears your suggestion would fix this problem. Unfortunately, the menu options on the control panel I have on this system doesn't have those needed to make the change. Alien... fool me once... I'll never buy another Alien again. This isn't the only issue I've had w/ this computer.

Thanks anyway.
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Oh, sorry, the options may have changed with the last drivers.

With the last installed, nVidia Control Panel, Adjust desktop size and position.

Select Full screen

With no scaling selected I get the same problem than you.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (112.83 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Aaargh! Can you believe it? That's the ONE display screen that ISN'T on my control panel. I'm blaming Alien... errrrr.
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Oh, really? [&:]

But are you using the drivers directly from Nvidia?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

only thing I can think of is the dash before the px and the py. If you cut and past from the instructions it will not work. You have to type it manually. I am using the resolution you are trying to get on an Nvidia 540 and its fine. BTW sacrificing a chicken will not work, you need a goat.
here is my command line:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -multiaudio -f -px1920 -py1080 -dd_sw -deepColor -altFont -autosave -skipVideo
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Well, the drivers are from Alien. I tried installing updates from Nvidia, but ended up starting to have blue screens. I was told by their customer support to only use drivers from Alien... humpf.

Hi John, did the dash ( - ) thingee, verified they are all fine/correct. I used your command line (just in case something else was being the problem), and still the same issue. I'm convinced the issue is as Nikel notes, and may consider calling Alien to resolve this. What a pain.

Thanks all, for the assist.

Return to “Tech Support”