Combat Reporter - report monitoring tool

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bretg80

RE: Combat Reporter - report monitoring tool

Post by bretg80 »

I have verified that CombatReporter only works with 32 bit versions of Java due to a 3rd party library I am using. There is a 64 bit version available and I will look into what it will take to support 64 bit. For now, use only 32 bit versions or you will not be able to set the date in the preferences and may experience other anomalies.

Bret
I'll be back
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Not sure if I can help much, I run my first game against AI and I'm only in February 1942, looking at what and how the tracker shows the SigIntReport it can be a good template.

As database we see:
Turn | Event Type | Location/Destination | Details | Notes
I suggest to add a notes section that the player can fill himself.

Also we see some filters that should be expanded.
1. Turn filter
I suggest to give the player 2 fields that he can filled out with the turn numbers he wants to see, leaving one field empty just shows the turn from the other field, filling both will show all turns between(and including) those numbers and filling no fields will show all turns.

2. Event filter
-Radio transmission
-Heavy Volume of Radio transmission
-Troop count
-Aircraft count
-Ship count
-Unit location
-Loaded on ship
-Planing for an attack
-Moving to
-Radio call sign
-coastwatcher
What I miss is a coastwatcher event but these for what ever reason are in the OpsReport not in the SigIntReport, question is can they be put in here?

3. Base & Unit filter
This is nice but doesn't help for a bigger picture. I suggest using region files similar to the tracker to incorporate all basses in the game into regions so that the player gets and overview of infos of bases that are close together or even on the same island.
An example would be a region called "Java", this would show all bases that the region Java incorporates and will give the player a clue of what is on the whole island instead just a single base.

I'm not sure what could be done with the unit filter, similar to the regions for bases a filter that filters tank, anti-aircraft, infantry, base forces, etc. would be great but I think there is no easy way to do that. Just like the regions files the unit files would have to be hand made by classifying each unit into a category for the filter.

Now what to do with the info that can be pulled out of the SigIntReport:
1. Radio transmission & Heavy Volume of Radio transmission
Those should be made visible on map so the player can see where a concentration of traffic is and so can place his subs or try dashes into these sea lanes with TFs.
Best would be to allow the player to set the filter for the turns and after that clicks a button to draw the filtered results on the map.
Results on map could simply shown by a colored dot with two numbers in it showing how many radio & heavy radio transmissions there are, also a deeper color with more reports could make it better visible were there is a concentration running from lets say yellow(1-10 reports) to Orange(11-20 reports) to Red(21-30 reports) or so.

2. Troop count, Aircraft count & Ship count(coastwatcher)
They speak for themselves, what could be done is an additional option to show only the latest result for each base in a region when using the region filter. This gives the player an overview of the latest strength figures he has on a region no matter how old or new they are and will give him a picture of the amount of troops, aircraft and ships in this region.

3. Unit location, Loaded on ship(unit info) & Planing for an attack
Also speak for themselves, what could be done when filtering to a specific unit(or maybe unit type) is that dots for the different points the unit was seen and/or loaded could be drawn with lines connecting those dots(in order of the turn the info was gathered) on the map together with a special dot & line in case the "Planning for an attack" info is known, this could make the path visible that the unit is taking and its target or if target is unknown it could at least give a hint of where it is heading to.

4. Moving to, Loaded on ship(ship info)& if possible coastwatcher
Similar to units dots should show where the ship was spotted, where it was loading and where it's heading to, again lines could connect the dots to see it's overall path on map so that a target or a target area could be recognized, especially tracking paths of heavy navy units and carriers could show where the next major operation will unfold.

5. Radio call sign
Here I run out of knowledge, what does it reveal? The only one I had so far is SS I-15 at 158,18, so is it like a specific ship is being spotted or is it the name of a TF?
Maybe it should be incorporated into point 4.

So that's it for the SigIntReport.

The Tracker doesn't get anything out of the OpsReport as far as I can see, so what the Combat Reporter shows us so far is this:
-Arrivals(Are perfectly covered by the tracker alert)
-Coastwatcher(info should go into SigIntReport under 2. as Ship count because that is usually what the coastwatchers do, in case they see a specific ship it could be added to under 4.)
-Combat(Sinking's are reported in the tracker as alerts but the hits usually show ships that are hit by recon and where there is no combat report so you don't have a clue how the ship was damaged or maybe even sunk at all, maybe these should be attached to the Air Combat reports)
-Damaged(These can be used to form a database for airgroups where the player can set a timeframe he wants to check and so can hopefully find airgroups that have an unusual high damage rate)
-Fuel(Is already a Tracker alert)
-Intel(Could also form a database with the number of recon flights over a specific base to show how good the target was explored)
-Japanese(Similar to Intel it could also form a database to shown the player which of his bases and TFs is being explored and also which is explored above average to give clues of possible future operations)
-Loss(Well maybe the tracker could also add when a loss was admited as it already list the details of all friendly ships that are sunk)
-Maintenance(Should flow into the airgroup database to show airgroups that pile up too many planes on maintenance)
-Pilot(Can stay like it is, the trackers pilot database is already enough)
-Reassignment(Can stay like it is)
-Repairs(Again the tracker already has an alert for ships that complete repair but where repairs can't go on is missing, hopefully they can cover this too so no need to do something)
-Replacements(Can stay like it is)
-Sighting(Well this isn't easy, all messages should be sorted into different categories depending on what is sighted, especially signs of subs or carrier planes can be important. These sightings should be made visible on map to see where there is a chance to intercept planes or subs on their way to their targets)
-Submarine(Well again showing on map where a friendly sub was sighted can give a hint if it should get a new patrol area or if the patrol area has to be adjusted, depending on how often it was sighted the enemy may or may not try to circle around such sightings and will so deny those subs an attack chance)
-TaskForce(Well like under "Sighting" here are also sightings these should be merged with the sightings report to get a picture of the enemy air activity)
-Unknow(Well I guess most of them are part of one of the points above but just can't be identified as such or what is the problem here?)

So that's it for now, gee what a long list.
Important is now to get feedback from other players that are more advanced into the game, PBEM players, Japanese players, late war players and so on as the points I listed just cover what I as Allied vs. AI player who's only up to February 1942 think should be looked at, simply just my 50 cent(looks more like 5 bucks [:D].)
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

BigDuke66

Great, this is the kind of input I was looking for. Let me mull it over for a while and I'll put together a mockup of the map and post it to see how it looks.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully others will comment as well.

Bret
I'll be back
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

I've recently started using a new computer and I have problems getting the combat reporter to run on this one. The problem seems to be with Java as I get the message (roughly translated from Dutch)
"Java was not recognized as internal or external task, program or batch-file" after which it ends. I've had similar problems getting WITP Tracker to work, but these were solved after I got a correct version of Java (v.6 update 21, running windows 7). Any idea what could fix this problem ? The previous computer ran windows XP and had several older versions of Java installed as well.
If you've installed java, the problem is a java pathing problem that can be fixed in a number of ways ...
1. Change the batch to point to java (you'll need to check where it's installed ... this is for 64 bit OS

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -splash:UV1024.jpg -Xmx1024m -jar combatreport.jar
 pause
I had this same error with tracker but was able to solve it. With combat reporter, I cannot solve it. I have copied Java all over and still doesn't work. Getting the same error as above. Is there something in combat reporter folder that needs to be changed to point to the correct direction?
watchDir=""
startIntervalDate=""
watchIntervalSecs=60
witpDir=""

does any of this need to be changed? that is the only thing I see.
side="a"
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

Don't use 64 bit java, one of the libraries I'm using won't work in 64 bit java.

if you don't have the path set properly you can use the following command

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin\java" in your batch file.

or

open a command window and type

set path=%path%;"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin\"

make sure you use the proper java directory - the one above is mine.

I'll be back
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

BTW the CR doesn't check the CombatEvents file and I wonder if that should/could be incorporated.
Because of some strange sightings I checked the CombatEvents and the OpsReport files for one turn and first I thought that all the things in the CombatEvents file are also in the OpsReport file but it doesn't look like.
The majority seems to be in but there are also a bunch sightings that are just in one of the files and some that seem to be altered.

An example for altered is this from the CombatEvents:
OS2U-3 Kingfisher sighting report: 3 Japanese ships at 115,161 near Isle of Pines , Speed 5 , Moving Southeast

And this from the OpsReport:
Sighting report: 4 Japanese ships at 115,161 near Isle of Pines , Speed 5 , Moving Southeast

Seem to me that both messages are from the same source but one(I guess the OpsReport) was altered for an additional level of FoW.

Another example for altered is this from the CombatEvents:
B-18A Bolo sighting report: 2 Japanese ships at 226,80 near San Diego , Speed 19 , Moving Northeast

And this from the OpsReport:
B-18A Bolo reports oil slick at 226, 80 near San Diego

Maybe just my feeling but it seems that the messages in the OpsReport make more sense and that some in the CombatEvents are obvious wrong and therefor aren't in the OpsReport like this one:
Wirraway sighting report: 2 Japanese ships at 98,127 near Salamaua , Speed unknown
What is so wrong is the Wirraway, they are flying south so the can't spot anything on the northern New Guinea coast.
moore4807

Post by moore4807 »

Problem fixed...
margeorg

Post by margeorg »

Hello,

while trying to get Combat Reporter running, I encountered the following error from Java during startup:

Any Idea whats wrong here?
(sorry for the formatting, copied this from the DOS window)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Combat
Reporter>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -splash:UV1024.jpg -Xmx
1024m -jar combatreporter.jar
Exception in thread "main" org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrors
Exception: startup failed:
script13421714213322106197169.groovy: 1: unexpected char: '\' @ line 1, column 1
watchDir="C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Ed
ition\SAVE"
^

1 error

at org.codehaus.groovy.control.ErrorCollector.failIfErrors(ErrorCollecto
r.java:302)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.ErrorCollector.addFatalError(ErrorCollect
or.java:149)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.ErrorCollector.addError(ErrorCollector.ja
va:119)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.ErrorCollector.addError(ErrorCollector.ja
va:131)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.SourceUnit.addError(SourceUnit.java:356)
at org.codehaus.groovy.antlr.AntlrParserPlugin.transformCSTIntoAST(Antlr
ParserPlugin.java:136)
at org.codehaus.groovy.antlr.AntlrParserPlugin.parseCST(AntlrParserPlugi
n.java:107)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.SourceUnit.parse(SourceUnit.java:236)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit$1.call(CompilationUnit.ja
va:163)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.applyToSourceUnits(Compil
ationUnit.java:839)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.doPhaseOperation(Compilat
ionUnit.java:544)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.processPhaseOperations(Co
mpilationUnit.java:520)
at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.compile(CompilationUnit.j
ava:497)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.doParseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:306
)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:287)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:267)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:214)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:224)
at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader$parseClass.call(Unknown Source)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSi
teArray.java:42)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCa
llSite.java:108)
llSite.java:116)
at groovy.util.ConfigSlurper.parse(ConfigSlurper.groovy:148)
at groovy.util.ConfigSlurper$parse.call(Unknown Source)
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSi
teArray.java:42)
llSite.java:108)
llSite.java:116)
at com.bret.witpae.CombatReport.main(CombatReport.groovy:46)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Combat
Reporter>pause
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .
Cheers
Martin
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

From this output it looks like a corrupted distribution. I would download and unzip again and see if that helps. If not, please PM me and I will try to assist.

Bret
I'll be back
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Hello. Thanks for the fine program. I got this working on my laptop but it is a memory hog and I can't run it and WitP at the same time. Never could get it to run on my desktop just like WitpTracker wouldn't. Well I was able to muddle my way through and get WitPTracker working but am still having problems with Combat Reporter.

I get this error: no 'server' JVM at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Jave\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'

In my bin folder I do not have a server file nor the jvm.dll file.

A search of my computer reveals that the jvm file is in a directory for some Gamehouse Cake Factory of the wifes and that is the only instance of it.

Can someone help me with fixing this? I like CR a lot as it has a zoom to hex function integrated with the map (bigger area would help (: imo )

Great program. Now if I could get it to work on this computer.

I am running Widows 7 64 bit but am using 1.6.38 of Java 32 bit.

Thanks
mo reb

I should add that when I click on the combatreporter.jar file a quick command screens flashes up and goes away. I set the correct path by editing the combatReport.properties file. The error that I mention above is when I click the combatreport.bat file.

EDIT: Fixed it. Anyone get that error, here is how you fix it.

1) Go to your [path]\bin folder for your Java install

2) Create a new folder titled 'server' without the quotes

3) Go into the 'Client' folder in [path]\bin

4)Copy those files and place them in your newly created 'server' folder

OR

You might just be able to rename the client file to server?
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

Yes, this fix you propose may work, but here is what is causing your problem. The combatreport.bat file refers to a version of java that supports server mode. This is usually found in the java sdk which you can get from java.oracle.com. The jre that you may have gotten from your browser apparently does not support this mode.

An easier fix is to edit the combatreport.bat file and remove the -server option and this should go away. The advantage of using -server with the correct version of java is that it will run faster as the code is optimized better. Faster is relative though, so if you don't want to download the sdk, then just remove -server from the bat file.

With respect to your original question about memory, I would not recommend running combat reporter with WITP AE on any machine with less than 4GB of ram (at the same time). Combat Reporter uses a lot of memory to load the WITP AE map and keeps it in memory to allow for fast scrolling (approx. 768 MB) some users have needed a little more. I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that the WITPAE game uses a paging mechanism to page in the graphics files it needs, which may slow down scrolling a little. I decided not to implement that capability but maybe in the future I'll do it. With memory so inexpensive these days - my belief is that everyone should be at 4GB.

You can resize the window on Combat Reporter to make it use most of your screen real estate if you want to, just select and edge and drag to resize it.

Glad you are enjoying the tool.

Cheers,
Bret
ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Hello. Thanks for the fine program. I got this working on my laptop but it is a memory hog and I can't run it and WitP at the same time. Never could get it to run on my desktop just like WitpTracker wouldn't. Well I was able to muddle my way through and get WitPTracker working but am still having problems with Combat Reporter.

I get this error: no 'server' JVM at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Jave\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll'

In my bin folder I do not have a server file nor the jvm.dll file.

A search of my computer reveals that the jvm file is in a directory for some Gamehouse Cake Factory of the wifes and that is the only instance of it.

Can someone help me with fixing this? I like CR a lot as it has a zoom to hex function integrated with the map (bigger area would help (: imo )

Great program. Now if I could get it to work on this computer.

I am running Widows 7 64 bit but am using 1.6.38 of Java 32 bit.

Thanks
mo reb

I should add that when I click on the combatreporter.jar file a quick command screens flashes up and goes away. I set the correct path by editing the combatReport.properties file. The error that I mention above is when I click the combatreport.bat file.

EDIT: Fixed it. Anyone get that error, here is how you fix it.

1) Go to your [path]\bin folder for your Java install

2) Create a new folder titled 'server' without the quotes

3) Go into the 'Client' folder in [path]\bin

4)Copy those files and place them in your newly created 'server' folder

OR

You might just be able to rename the client file to server?
I'll be back
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Thanks for your replies.

I have it working good now so I'm not going to mess with it at this point. Maybe in the future I will.

Yes, my laptop doesn't have enough memory but my main desktop works good with it. I think this is a great program, If you are going to further improve upon CR would there be the possibility of showing the bases and positions of the units on the map? Also, the directions that air attacks came from, as shown in game all too fast, would be huge.

As far as the resizing. I can only get it to use about 60% of the real estate of my screen, along the lower half. Is this the maximum?

Thanks again

mo reb
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

I am seriously considering upgrading the tool. There is a very nice new user interface framework called JavaFX that has come along and would make build a new user interface for the tool a joy. This will also fix the requirement for Java 32 only.

I have always wanted to display the units on the map and many have requested this. So stay tuned. An announcement may be forthcoming.

Yes, the map will only display in the lower quadrant. In the new design I plan to change the layout.

Bret [8D]
I'll be back
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: bretg80

I am seriously considering upgrading the tool. There is a very nice new user interface framework called JavaFX that has come along and would make build a new user interface for the tool a joy. This will also fix the requirement for Java 32 only.

I have always wanted to display the units on the map and many have requested this. So stay tuned. An announcement may be forthcoming.

Yes, the map will only display in the lower quadrant. In the new design I plan to change the layout.

Bret [8D]

Awesome. I look forward to it.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

+1
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

I small bug, ships with major engine damage in a level 7 port in pierside repair get reported as no more repairs possible.
Looking at the manual major engine damage up to 5 can be repaired in level 7 or higher ports.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

From what i've read, this looks very interesting. [;)] But were is the link to down load. And is it a simple setup? I'm not to good at the programing type of stuff but would like to try this. Just started the Ironman scenario. Will it work with a game in progress? Sorry for the questions. Im sure some of this is in this thread, but my memory is not as good as it use to be.[:D]
CHEERS
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
btd64

RE: Combat Reporter Beta

Post by btd64 »

Found the link. Do I download both files or just the newer one? does the use of this tool slow down the game any? Is it always up or do you activate a button to bring it up? Thanks in advance for your answer. Cheers
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rook749

RE: Combat Reporter Beta

Post by rook749 »

Anyone know how to correct this? I can run the file directly and it loads wihtout the map but the .bat file gives me the following error.

Image file: Error Image

Rook

Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 193 times
rook749

Post by rook749 »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
ORIGINAL: n01487477

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

I've recently started using a new computer and I have problems getting the combat reporter to run on this one. The problem seems to be with Java as I get the message (roughly translated from Dutch)
"Java was not recognized as internal or external task, program or batch-file" after which it ends. I've had similar problems getting WITP Tracker to work, but these were solved after I got a correct version of Java (v.6 update 21, running windows 7). Any idea what could fix this problem ? The previous computer ran windows XP and had several older versions of Java installed as well.
If you've installed java, the problem is a java pathing problem that can be fixed in a number of ways ...
1. Change the batch to point to java (you'll need to check where it's installed ... this is for 64 bit OS

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -splash:UV1024.jpg -Xmx1024m -jar combatreport.jar
 pause

Damien -

I upgraded my computer (Win 7 on an i7) and was having no success running Combat Reporter. Your above suggestion worked like a charm - I am most grateful.

bretg80 - Combat Reporter is absolutely outstanding - not only important to planning a response to last turns activity, but significantly reduces the time needed to do so.

Thank You Sir!

Mac
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -splash:UV1024.jpg -Xmx1024m -jar combatreport.jar pause

Fixed My issue the line should have read -

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -splash:UV1024.jpg -Xmx1024m -jar combatreporter.jar
pause

Rook

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”