Memory issue after new update installed

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_EIA

jbdenney

Memory issue after new update installed

Post by jbdenney »

I am running Windows 7. I updated my EIA yesterday with the new update (EmpiresinArms-Update-v10804). It installed with out an issue and yesterday it ran with out an issue. Today when I try to start the game I get "Wargame System Engine requires 256MB of FREE memory! Please exit the restart....Total mem -118243328 FREE mem 1950347264 FREE Virtual Mem 2000236544..."

I did reboot and it still gave me the same error.

In Task manager I see..
3983 MB Total Physical memory
1536 MB Cached Physical memory
2020MB Available physical memory
537 MB Free Physical memory

What gives?
jbdenney

more data RE: Memory issue after new update installed

Post by jbdenney »

Ok - more data just to make it more interesting.
I re-booted before and after the existing steps...

I reinstalled EIA with the update over the existing update and I still got the memory error.

After reboot I did an uninstall but I did not delete the EIA folder. I reinstalled the original program and the update, after reboot, but I still got the memory error when I tried to run the program.

After another reboot I again did an uninstall but this time I did delete the EIA folder. After another reboot I installed the program with the update and the program ran. But after exit when I tried to run again I got the memory error. I rebooted and still got the memory error when I attempted to run.

After posting this I will try with out the update and see what happens.
jbdenney

RE: more data RE: Memory issue after new update installed

Post by jbdenney »

Ok - more data...
I remember the last time I got this to run was on Windows XP. I am now running Windows 7.
If I do a complete uninstall and folder delete and then install ONLY the base original program I get the memory error. If, without a reboot, I then install the 10804 update it will run once but after that I get the memory error.
jbdenney

Post by jbdenney »

OK - DUH!!!!! - never mind.  Hit properties on trhe shortcut and selected "Compatability" and told it to run as if it was Windows XP - SP3 and it works fine now.Massive Brain Fart.
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

Odd, I've never had any issues getting it to run on Windows 7 and never needed to use compatibility mode.

You said v1.08.04, is that right ? 1.08.07 is the latest.

Also are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 ?
Regards
David
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Marshall should update the WhatsNew document to reflect the latest standalone comprehensive patch installation and compatibility issues with Windows 7. I am not seeing any complaints about the patch so that's good.

David, you're saying compatibility mode is not necessary for Windows 7, or is that with 64 bit? I did run a test install on a 32 bit Windows 7 laptop and had to use the Win XP compatibility mode to get it work right; I didn't try a reboot/restart to see if there were memory issues. Marshall may need some more feedback from different users to provide appropriate guidance for Windows 7.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

The patch might not have caused problems but there's certainly some issues it hasn't fixed.

As for compatibility I've run the game on Vista, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise and never needed to use compatibility mode. This is on three very different hardware platforms and even in VMWare Workstation. All were however 32 bit OSes.
Regards
David
jbdenney

Post by jbdenney »

My mistake - I am running 1.0807.
I am running 64bit Windows 7.

I find it real odd, and part of the reason I did not think of "compatibility" was that it would run hte FIRST time on an install on a new directory but woudl not run a second time - even after reboot.
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

ORIGINAL: jbdenney

My mistake - I am running 1.0807.
I am running 64bit Windows 7.

I find it real odd, and part of the reason I did not think of "compatibility" was that it would run hte FIRST time on an install on a new directory but woudl not run a second time - even after reboot.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is running it under 64 bit Windows.
Regards
David

Return to “Tech Support”