Dog-slow scroll speed - is this a norm?

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

OnTheContrary

Dog-slow scroll speed - is this a norm?

Post by OnTheContrary »

I am thoroughly enjoying my time with the game, but there's one thing that's been bugging me - the scroll speed. Scrolling seems to be discrete with noticable "scrolling step", and quite slow. I was expecting fluid scrolling (as in Battle Academy) and not this, to be honest.

Is this normal, or does Decisive Campaigns simply run slow for some reason on my configuration (2.5 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, 256 MB ATI). Normal operation (chit selection, commands, etc.) seems responsive, but the scroll speed is a real downer.
DeriKuk

RE: Dog-slow scroll speed - is this a norm?

Post by DeriKuk »

That sounds unusual to me, especially with the configuration you gave.  Mine scrolls effortlessly; sometimes even too fast.

Your problem must lie elsewhere.  I couldn't tell you . . . [&:]
Vic

Post by Vic »

It should run just fine with your configs. However as a workaround you might try the following: If you have problems it might help to change your screen resolution to a lower resolution and start up the game again. Make sure to change resolution when game is not running. Generally the lower the screen resolution the quicker the game should scroll.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

I have purchased DC at the release date but I hadn't much opportunity to play it. Few days ago I started to play it and game seems promising, except of scrolling. Scrolling is so irritatingly slow that is almost unplayable. Definitely it is game breaking thing for me. Strange is that on my low performance laptop scrolling is slow but not as much as on my desktop configuration.

My configuration is:

Asus P55-UD3 motherboard
Intel i5 750
NVIDIA GeForce 275GTX, 896 MB VRAM
4 GB RAM
Win 7 64bit

Please help!
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

no it shouldn't be like this.
i have about the same specs with a mac and have to run it on parallels, scrolling is just fine.
did you patch up your copy?
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

ORIGINAL: Keunert

no it shouldn't be like this.
i have about the same specs with a mac and have to run it on parallels, scrolling is just fine.
did you patch up your copy?

Yes, it is patched to v1.04i. I have tried to change some settings in NVIDiA drivers but nothing helped so far.
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Interesting I am not having this issue either...and I have a triple core AMD laptop, 8GB of mem and a 256mb discrete ATI graphics card. Have those of you experiencing this tried updating graphics card drivers? It's not a 3D card so I would think messing with most of the graphics card settings would not help...I am playing mine on a 1600x900 screen using the latest reference ATI/AMD drivers on Windows 7 x64. Maybe if we can isolate a common variable a cause can be found....
Kind Regards,

Harry
Vic

Post by Vic »

There have been instances before of faulty 3D card drivers that actually manage to render slower then software render can do.
Always make sure you have the latest driver.

Its always a good test to try the game with "hardware acceleration" switched off, as well as in lower screen resolution.

Closing down ALL other applications before running DC is a good test as well. It can happen that another faulty application blocks the GDI drawing chain.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

Ok. I have tried following:

1. Patched up the game to latest version - didn't helped.

2. Installed latest NVIDIA drivers (ver. 301.42 for GTX 275) - didn't helped.

3. Closed all other applications (including antivirus) and killed almost all processes - didn't helped.

4. There is scrolling performance improvement after lowering resolution from 1920x1200 to 1024x768 but this is not solution as it creates new problem - such a low resolution at 24" monitor looks like crap. Please note that I have almost all Ageod titles (which are even more 2D demanding then DC) but I didn't have any scrolling issues. Really, I don't see a point in lowering resolution in 2D strategy game when my configuration can run Skyrim or Crysis smoothly at high resolutions.

5. I would like to try to turn off hardware acceleration but I'm not sure if there is such option in Win 7. If I'm wrong please tell me how to do it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

With XP SP3 Dell quad core and ATI 4650 - not exactly a screamer - I notice some lag, but nothing really objectionable. You can't be the only one with this problem. I wonder if you should get the beta of their new East Front game to see how that runs?
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

Vic.... just brought up FWTP to see if it had the ability to adjust the scrolling speed like AT has and, it doesn't.

But, the thing that hit me, hadn't brought up the game in a while, was that it would be really nice <g>, if there was a button where you could drop the lower panel out, the panel with the unit information, and with that you would get a much larger map, maybe 50% bigger, and a more rectangular map display. With this, the buttons would still be there, but dropped to the bottom, and you would be able to bring the unit information panel back at any time just by clicking on that button again.

Yeah, guess I have made suggestions along these line before.

Whatever, just a thought.

Z
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

Actually, just remembered that I normally run my display at 1024x768 so upped it to 1280x1024 and, not as big difference there if the lower panel were dropped. Would still give some more space with this, and higher resolutions, but not as big a deal as with 1024x768.

And not that difficult to go to 1280x768 if I want to play FWTP.

Whatever,

Z

P.S. Yeah, for the heck of it looked to see how to turn off hardware acceleration but, can't remember how that is done (lol). I am sure someone, hopefully, must still know.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Zaratoughda

Vic.... just brought up FWTP to see if it had the ability to adjust the scrolling speed like AT has and, it doesn't.

But, the thing that hit me, hadn't brought up the game in a while, was that it would be really nice <g>, if there was a button where you could drop the lower panel out, the panel with the unit information, and with that you would get a much larger map, maybe 50% bigger, and a more rectangular map display. With this, the buttons would still be there, but dropped to the bottom, and you would be able to bring the unit information panel back at any time just by clicking on that button again.

Yeah, guess I have made suggestions along these line before.

Whatever, just a thought.

Z

Actually i did exactly this in DC2. I will back-port i to DC1 as well after the release of DC2.
:)

And seriously... AT does not have adjustable scrolling speed. At least... I cannot remember coding it. Did i really?

best,
Vic
Zaratoughda

Post by Zaratoughda »

I looked and it does not.

Now I can't remember where I saw this. Thought it was WITE but looked and doesn't look like it.

So, can't remember.

One thing though... quickly bringing up ATG... and this applies to DC... would be nice... if ONLY the graphics needed to put up the initial menus were loaded and then everything else was done with a lower priority thread. If someone tried to do something and the graphics were not loaded yet, well, they would just have to wait. Otherwise, the graphics would be loaded while the player was making decisions on what they wanted to do, etc.

Yeah, I think WITE does this also. Loads all graphics at the start and the player has to wait while they are loading.

Z
OnTheContrary

Post by OnTheContrary »

Unfortunately, I tried all the suggestions and the results are the same. The only things which does help somewhat is lowering the screen resolution, which I don't want to do.

The GPU is perfectly fine - I do get an occasional bluescreen in some games due to bad cooling in the laptop, but I've been getting that for as long as I have had the laptop and it otherwise never impacted the performance of the game.

Any chance you could look into this, Vic?
Vic

Post by Vic »

@IdontThinkSo,

Actually i am looking into this issue. It seems to be an issue on a very limited number of systems, and have not been able to pinpoint the exact hardwares/operating system reasons that cause it, but i am making some progress. Sorry for any inconvenience :( I hope (and think) to improve the games graphics speed performance on these affected systems with the next patch. The beta version of this patch is scheduled for somewhere in upcoming July. I'll try to make it sooner rather then later.

best,
Vic
OnTheContrary

Post by OnTheContrary »

Thank You, Vic. I know these things aren't easy so I really appreciate You not leaving us out in the cold.

My system is EliteBook 8530p - Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 256 MB, and I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Just in case this might be helpful.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: IDontThinkSo

Thank You, Vic. I know these things aren't easy so I really appreciate You not leaving us out in the cold.

My system is EliteBook 8530p - Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 256 MB, and I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Just in case this might be helpful.

I have had a tester with Case Blue with similar issues and managed to improve his speed. So i dont want to get your hopes up, but the planned patch for WarawToParis might do the trick.

best,
Vic
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

I can confirm the relativ slow scrolling. My PC specs are a little bit "better" than yours, IDontThinkSo, but the effect is similar.
And this for a game with relativ low graphic requirements, I think.
???

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”