1.05.59 rule changes more German nerfs?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Flaviusx

RE: 1.05.59 rule changes?

Post by Flaviusx »

Pelton, you're seriously underestimating, or rather completely overlooking, the hefty Soviet command nerf. 18 CP armies from 42 on is a real pain in the ass.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think the March madness stuff was ok.
WitE Alpha Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: zxr8421

Don't be so upset[:-]
If you feel new release benefit only one side, I am happy to offer continuing our game under 1.05.53 until the end[;)]

the problem with games as has been the problem for the player base now for a yr is most of these patch realy unbalance on going games. Thats one reason why so very few get to the late war yrs.

As far as our game goes its a kick in the nutts for you because we are past March 1942 and a bonus for me if anything.

Most of the changes in this patch effect 1941-March 1942 which has a huge impact on the rest of the game. Most poeple just dont under stand how a few little tweaks can unbalance the game.

The manpower minus were put inbecause 1942 now is basicly 1943 again as it was before 1.05.

I am fine with calling the game a draw if you like. The patch is really a hard hit on you in our game.

At some point it be nice to get away from these game changing patchs that screw up on going games.

All that was needed was a small morale plus to Russian side to bring game back in balance for 1942, instead we have that plus a UBER nerf.

2by3 does this patch after patch, they swing the game way to far one way then way to far back the other.

1.05 was so close, now wite is back is screwed up again.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Pelton, you're seriously underestimating, or rather completely overlooking, the hefty Soviet command nerf. 18 CP armies from 42 on is a real pain in the ass.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think the March madness stuff was ok.

That command stuff means very very little because as you know 1942 will be back to static as it was before 1.05.

Which means the Red Horde can grow and grow as the German player can do nothing about it.

Katza vs 76mm and Pelton vs Kamil is what the player base can now expect again.

The standard Red Horde will be 7 million plus by June 1942 with fort belt after fort belt as per pre 1.05

Thats just the way Russian players like it. WWI on the eastern front come 1942.

The combat ratio is a joke in 1942 so attacking will be totally out of the question in 1942 again vs and equal player.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Pelton, it means a lot. In practice it probably means even worse C&C for the Sovs than already exists because it's highly unlikely they can afford to put the entire Red Army into 18 CP armies. That is to say, you're going to see a lot more overloading at the army level and therefore more missed command rolls, and that affects everything. The only mitigating factor here is that STAVKA got fixed.

There will be no massive fort belts. That got fixed already and isn't coming back. You do not need March madness to prevent fort belts because it's incredibly hard to dig in during poor weather. All March madness was doing was giving the Axis a highly premature offensive in 1942.

WitE Alpha Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

It's not worth it Flavio. I feel Pelton will always see things through Axis Tinted Glasses.

Pelton - Of course some parts of the patch favour one side or the other. That the idea of tweaks, some affect both sides and some more than the other.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Pelton - IMO you won't be happy with WitE until the Axis can stomp all over Russia, they can build oodles of everything, have no historical limitations, have flying Panzers that can travels 1000's of miles continuously away from Railheads etc. My suggestion is you use the editor to make your version of the game and be happy with it.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Pelton, it means a lot. In practice it probably means even worse C&C for the Sovs than already exists because it's highly unlikely they can afford to put the entire Red Army into 18 CP armies. That is to say, you're going to see a lot more overloading at the army level and therefore more missed command rolls, and that affects everything. The only mitigating factor here is that STAVKA got fixed.

No you see Russian players rotating units in and out. By 44 Russian morale is HIGH and Germans low because game is based on a time line and not in game results.

This means Russian Infantry units will have 2x what German infantry have.

The lines in 42 will be static and the red horde will easly number 9 to 10 million inlate 43.

The snow nerf is a game changing nerf. Its huge.

The front will be static from March to June thats 120k replasements for 14 turns or 1.4 million + russians.

PLUS 4 months to build fort belt after fort belt.

The command nerf and the manpower nerf just holds the horde in check a little longer so the games dont end before January 1945.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
zxr8421

Post by zxr8421 »

Hi pelton
I won't hold a 42 game for rule changes since so many effect has been spent and the fun part about to start [:D]Will fight until the end.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Pelton - IMO you won't be happy with WitE until the Axis can stomp all over Russia, they can build oodles of everything, have no historical limitations, have flying Panzers that can travels 1000's of miles continuously away from Railheads etc. My suggestion is you use the editor to make your version of the game and be happy with it.

Again this is a personal attack not based on truth but a lie you made up. standard Mo for you.

I have have said more then once that the Russians need a tweak for 1942.

See I like talking about the game and not making up fairytales.

This patch is a nerf not a tweak.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
bdtj1815

Post by bdtj1815 »

Which of the changes in this patch will effect present games. I know, I think, that data changes will not apply but what about other things?

At present the game I am playing is only at turn 5, would a re-start be the best option?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

This version was not intended for release yet. The download was not intended to be enabled.

If you downloaded this, please do not use it.

A correct version will be uploaded and announced later today.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: bdtj1815

Which of the changes in this patch will effect present games. I know, I think, that data changes will not apply but what about other things?

At present the game I am playing is only at turn 5, would a re-start be the best option?

Probaly have little effect, but Flaviusx would be one to ask.

It will mainly effect games past March 1942 from what I see.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This version was not intended for release yet. The download was not intended to be enabled.

If you downloaded this, please do not use it.

A correct version will be uploaded and announced later today.

Regards,

- Erik

Good remove the freaking A-bomb P.

1. New Rule - During any Snow turns between December 1941 and April 1942 (inclusive),
and any blizzard turns in March or April 1942, German attack CV factors are divided by
1.5. Any missed check (admin or combat skill) causes the attack CV to be further divided
by 2. The displayed on counter attack CV will be divided by 1.5 during these turns.

You guys are better then this lol
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Again this is a personal attack not based on truth but a lie you made up. standard Mo for you.

I have have said more then once that the Russians need a tweak for 1942.

See I like talking about the game and not making up fairytales.

This patch is a nerf not a tweak.

Pelton

How is it a personal attack Pelton?
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

1. New Rule - During any Snow turns between December 1941 and April 1942 (inclusive),
and any blizzard turns in March or April 1942, German attack CV factors are divided by
1.5. Any missed check (admin or combat skill) causes the attack CV to be further divided
by 2. The displayed on counter attack CV will be divided by 1.5 during these turns.

Is an amazing huge German nerf beat down. A russian fanboys dream come true.

1942 now goes back to the WWI on the eastern front as it was before 1.05.

Pelton, you are exaggerating massively here! I for once am happy to see March Madness gone (if indeed, this will stop it). German über offensives in March 1942 were utterly unrealistic. And dividing combat value with 1.5 isn't the end of the world. The Germans will probably still be able to run more successful offensives in March 1942 that would be realistic. I am rather thinking this might be too little to stop March Madness, but we'll see when we play.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

Is an amazing huge German nerf beat down. A russian fanboys dream come true.

1942 now goes back to the WWI on the eastern front as it was before 1.05.

Pelton, you are exaggerating massively here! I for once am happy to see March Madness gone (if indeed, this will stop it). German über offensives in March 1942 were utterly unrealistic. And dividing combat value with 1.5 isn't the end of the world. The Germans will probably still be able to run more successful offensives in March 1942 that would be realistic. I am rather thinking this might be too little to stop March Madness, but we'll see when we play.

How?

1. Russians recieve 120k per turn in replasements. yes or no?
2. Combat rations from 1942 on are bad for germans 2.5 to 1 in the vast majority of cases. yes or no?
3. pocketing units will be very very hard if possible at all vs a equal russian player. yes or no?

So we have I beleive 14 turns of a growing Russian OOB. Standard OOB is 5.5 million after blizzard all things being equal.

This means russian OOB in most cases 7+ million which is more then 1.25 million more then we are seeing in 1.05 games.

Also now the russian player can sit back and build forts for 4 months.

How is this not a game changer?

I am simply doing the math.

By late June the Russian player will had a huge advantage, huge as per pre 1.05.

Also the Russian player doesn't have to waste AP's rebuilding lost units from pockets in march 42. Which means allot more rifle corps at the front also before summer.

Pelton
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

exaggerating massively here

tell me how I am massively exaggerating here?

How?

Based on the math and not personall attacks P
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

[:)]
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

1. Russians recieve 120k per turn in replasements. yes or no?

Yes. So what? Should they have less? I doubt it.

2. Combat rations from 1942 on are bad for germans 2.5 to 1 in the vast majority of cases. yes or no?

I agree with you there, but this has nothing to do with March Madness.

3. pocketing units will be very very hard if possible at all vs a equal russian player. yes or no?

So we have I beleive 14 turns of a growing Russian OOB. Standard OOB is 5.5 million after blizzard all things being equal.

This means russian OOB in most cases 7+ million which is more then 1.25 million more then we are seeing in 1.05 games.

Also now the russian player can sit back and build forts for 4 months.

There won't be many forts built in snow and mud. And they are not worth much nowadays anyway.

How is this not a game changer?

I am simply doing the math.

By late June the Russian player will had a huge advantage, huge as per pre 1.05.

Also the Russian player doesn't have to waste AP's rebuilding lost units from pockets in march 42. Which means allot more rifle corps at the front also before summer.

There should realistically be no large pockets in March 1942. If the game needs balancing, unrealistic pocketing in spring 1942 is not the way to accomplish that.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: bdtj1815

If only on turn 5 I would restart, just so you have all of the data changes and yoou are only losing 5 turns of work.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”