Sweeps for the Rising Sun....

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sdhundt

Sweeps for the Rising Sun....

Post by sdhundt »

What altitude is the best results for sweeps using the Zero and Oscar........I'm asking because I'm playing sc#2 in April 1942 and my Zero's and Oscar's are only getting 1 to 1 results in sweeps. I have them over the bases at 31,000 ft and the pilots are all 70+ exp....Thanks
Dan Nichols

RE: Sweeps for the Rising Sun....

Post by Dan Nichols »

What types of aircraft are you facing?
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

And quantity.  Have numeric superiority is a big deal. 

Range - if you are at extended range, your pilots will be fatigued when they get there ... this further increases the quantity required.

opposing pilot quality. 

These are the key things that I see making a difference.
Pax
sdhundt

Post by sdhundt »

The range might be the issue..I'm flying from Tanna to Suva and my pilots might be out of mental gas when they arive...They are up against ALL the allied fighters of the time, wildcats, warhawks, cobras, Cammels or is it Buffffalo's...F-18's....so I think it's the Cammmels that are the problem...Just kidding...thanks for the help...It is the range if I'm seeing this right.
jeffs

Post by jeffs »

The problem for the Japanese is their airframes are flimsy. Against F4s (3 or 4s) and warhawks (especially B and E...Ks are a clearly better breed)
zeroes get tons of hits on allied frames...But many of them are just damage and if at the allied base the plane will land safely in many cases..

Zeroes/oscars are less likely to get hit but will likely die if hit..Especially if travelling long distance.

Also you should check fatigue levels..If your fighters are flying every day then there is a good chance they get very tired very quickly.

That said you should eat buffs for lunch. Cobras look like they should be creamed but at 15,000 feet actually do very well (they are pretty tough).

Also...As you are over his base...You will lose many more pilots than him
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: sdhundt

What altitude is the best results for sweeps using the Zero and Oscar........I'm asking because I'm playing sc#2 in April 1942 and my Zero's and Oscar's are only getting 1 to 1 results in sweeps. I have them over the bases at 31,000 ft and the pilots are all 70+ exp....Thanks

I use best maneuver band, 11-15k and it's working fine. IMO you're flying too high and you loose maneuver advantage. Try much lower altitudes.

Also it might be a good idea to use different altitudes, for example set one group sweep at 12k and another at 15k.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I have also found that keeping the aircraft closer to their best manuever altitude seems to work better than going to extreme high altitudes. You are not garraunteed to get the bounce anymore (best I can tell) from altitude, and being in a band where a brick has more manueverability is counter-productive.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Miller

Post by Miller »

20k feet for both IMO, thats where they have the biggest advantage over most of the early allied stuff....
EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

Range is a huge factor, I think. I've seen early model Hurricanes with average crews absolutely butcher crack Zeroes who did a very long range sweep. I can only assume it was the range.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

Range is a huge factor, I think. I've seen early model Hurricanes with average crews absolutely butcher crack Zeroes who did a very long range sweep. I can only assume it was the range.

Makes sense, after an 8-10 hour flight, you are not going to be at your best.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Best manoeuvre band is my 2p for this too , even vs strato sweep/cap and the enemy get the 'dive' on you, because you have better manoeuvre its quite possible that good pilots can avoid these and once the dive is over you have the advantage at that altitude. I'm not sure having diff alt for sweeps is a good idea as it makes them break up . alt difference is great for defensive cap however.
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
bjfagan

Post by bjfagan »

What determines the best maneuverability rating? I assume it is the lower number that is best.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: bjfagan

What determines the best maneuverability rating? I assume it is the lower number that is best.

See altitude /maneuver modifier? Each airframe is rated for maneveurability . The higher the number the better for that particular altitude window.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”