dutch Subs don't use their deck gun

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dutch_slith

dutch Subs don't use their deck gun

Post by Dutch_slith »

I'm not sure, if it's a bug or just an OOB issue.

When my dutch subs choose to attack on surface they never use their deck gun. No messages appear on the combat screen. Only the japanese merchant shoots. After some rounds of combat (and after the sub was finally hit), the sub commander submerges again due to damage.

I've checked the database. All sub classes (either allies or japanese) have their deck guns rated as naval or double purpose guns. Only the dutch subs have them rated as AA guns. Should the deck guns rated as DP Guns? Or is this a bug?

Harald
michaelm75au

RE: dutch Subs don't use their deck gun

Post by michaelm75au »

AAA guns are used in surface attack, but only at short range from ship.

Don't know if this is correct from OOB perspective.

Michael
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

Thx Michael!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Them not using deck guns is not necessarily a bad thing. I've had subs severely damaged and sunk from a hit or two from a transport they tried to gun it out with. Always risky gunning it out on the surface when the name of your game is attacking from stealth.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

Correct. But not having a working deck gun (due to OOB), doesn't prevent the sub to attack on surface.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

It is an OOB issue Harald. It has been addressed in Babes. It is a simple fix. Pm either me or JWE and we will show you how to easily fix it for your scenario.

Matt
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Harald Velemans

Correct. But not having a working deck gun (due to OOB), doesn't prevent the sub to attack on surface.

Yes that is an issue. It's one thing to never surface to fight, its really bad when they surface but don't shoot.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: US87891

It is an OOB issue Harald. It has been addressed in Babes. It is a simple fix. Pm either me or JWE and we will show you how to easily fix it for your scenario.

Matt

Thx Matt, but I did fix it already in my 'dutch forces' mod [:D] and restarted my GC against the AI (lost 5 BB's in the opening round, so hey [;)])

Harald
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I don't think you even would have to restart your campaign vs. AI, it should update on the run in this case. PBEMs are different thing.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Got intrigued by this and did a little research. It looks like the deck guns on Dutch subs were actually classed as AA guns. 75mm or 80mm. Is that correct Harald?

If so, the best thing might be to set them up as DP guns and to use the DP enhancement ala Babes (which allows separate surface and AA values for DP guns).

Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

Don,

K V class had a 75mm deck gun, all other classes had a 88mm (Bofors) one. My sources don't give any more information about the type of the gun. Intended use of the gun was against naval targets.

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/ describes the gun as:
8.8 cm/45 AA Bofors Mk 3
weight shell 22
2625 ft/sec initial velocity

'The gun was useful but considered not heavy enough, ...'

So it seems at least the 88mm was actually classed as AA gun.
If so, the best thing might be to set them up as DP guns and to use the DP enhancement ala Babes (which allows separate surface and AA values for DP guns).

Will have a look!

K V class got the 3in/50 Mk 10 Gun (1579) assigned instead of the 75mm AA gun. All other classes got a new device, 8.8cm/45 Bofors Mk 3 (basically #1640 8cm Bofors AA Gun, rated as DP gun with an effect of 22).

Harald

Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

I don't think you even would have to restart your campaign vs. AI, it should update on the run in this case. PBEMs are different thing.

Thx Sardaukar, didn't know that.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I have also noted thet dutch subs always seem to fire two torps whatever the target even CV . Three times the fired over several turns at CV in DEI - all missed. For the record they only fire two tubes???
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I have also noted thet dutch subs always seem to fire two torps whatever the target even CV . Three times the fired over several turns at CV in DEI - all missed. For the record they only fire two tubes???

Have you checked that you are not victime of dreaded "split tubes bug"? That your Dutch subs actually have now more than 2 forward tubes...
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

As Sardaukar said, must be "split tubes bug". One of mine did fire 4 torpedoes at a light cruiser - and the CL was sunk. [:D]
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

I am not aware of any "split tube bug". Could someone elaborate?
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I am on version P6 , I am Japs scn2 - could that bug be there - all Jap subs seem fine???

Shall I ask my opponent- what does he need to see?
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I've seen Dutch subs use their 4cm gun against targets when surfaced. I'm assuming that's an AA gun. Also, some of my Dutch subs have two different sets of torpedo tubes, with different diameters. I've seen them fire two different salvos of torpedoes at a target, with different diameters. That seems like a really unnecessary complication on a ship that small.
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

I am not aware of any "split tube bug". Could someone elaborate?

IIRC, the bug was caused by the DB change that modified the grouping of sub torpedo tubes. Only occured if one did update the database changes to a running game...
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I've seen Dutch subs use their 4cm gun against targets when surfaced. I'm assuming that's an AA gun.

IF they're close enough, they will fire even AA guns...

Return to “Tech Support”