A to A over Manila ?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoBaron

RE: A to A over Manila ?

Post by LoBaron »

Mitscher, the air skill of your squadron commanders is afwfully low.
You might want to change that depending on how long you plan to put up resistance.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Which version are you guys using that has the squadron insigna???...LOVE IT!
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

Art Mod. You would like to check out this link.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2405660
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Link to the bitmap download sites.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2913555
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

GreyJoy -

I was just gonna ask - you beat me to it!

Harald Velemans - Thank You, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: pditty8811

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: Richard III

The first Zero Group, 17 AC, with high 70`s & 80 skill drivers, over target at 20,000 feet, get" the bounce "on Warhawks,** still struggling to get off the ground in 1 & 2`s, and from there up to altitude**, shoot down 2 Warhawks, lose 11 Zeros and pilots in a dogfight VS Warhawks with at best 60`s skill pilots.....also what`s up with "1 Zero sweeping" in the combat report.

I fAlfred wants a save he can have one to varify the Combat Report.

And your point is what?

For example what point are you making with "high 70s & 80 skill drivers". That statement has no value for these reasons.

(1) Is it meant to say that the pilots are experienced in the 70s and 80s? If yes they you are clearly wrong because the average pilot experience is only 62. Therefore if some of the pilots are experienced in the 70s and 80s, the unit must also have many pilots whose experience is in the low 40s.

(2) If the alternative meaning you intended is that they have skill ratings in the 70s and 80s, then you would have to specify which skills for they would not have those high ratings in all pilot skills. Or do you seriously expect me to believe that fighter pilots would have transport skills in the 70s and 80s plus naval torpedo skill ratings at those same high levels.

Do not confuse a pilot's experience rating with his various skill ratings. There are many level 70-80 experience pilots who posses an air to air skill rating in the 20s, or even a 20-30 defense skill rating. Use those "experienced" pilots in a sweep and they are almost guaranteed to die in their first sweep.

Even "experienced" pilots can be defeated by less "experienced" pilots, by enemy airplanes which under certain conditions possess better flight characteristics.

Others have given you quite plausible explanations for the outcome. I would particularly draw your attention to the explanation given as to how the Americans could have achieved the "bounce", an explanation which you seem to have not comprehended.

In your various posts, you strike me as one of those players, and there are several in this category, who has a preconceived view of what an outcome should be and if that outcome is not achieved, immediately blame the perceived "wrong" outcome on the engine being at fault. Never does it enter your mind that the fault might lie with you.

Alfred

Rude anyone?

No. Hes just smarter than you.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

IMO the biggest problem is that one bad combat report seems to spawn posts claiming there is a bug or something wrong with the program. This is a game that simulates to some extend war, and in war, stuff happens. Sometimes you are at one end of the bell curve and sometimes you are at the other, and hopefully most of them time somewhere in the middle.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Thanks to all who took the time to respond, both here and in PM`s and Emails, to the initial " neutral" question, with detailed information on how the A2A combat worked in this case, and how the combat reports are generated and interpreted.

The A2A model is very complex, and not always fully understood by those of us who actually play the PBEM game.

Rising questions about "results" are neither indictments of the current AI A2A model or the developers.

I`d like to especially thank my PBEM opponent Marc (Adm. Mitscher) for providing info here on his Fighter groups exp. levels. sadly , he has had to resign the Game due to just received orders for immediate deployment in support of US Army activities overseas.

He is a fine player, good sport and a gentleman.

R.III
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: pditty8811

ORIGINAL: Alfred

And your point is what?

For example what point are you making with "high 70s & 80 skill drivers". That statement has no value for these reasons.

(1) Is it meant to say that the pilots are experienced in the 70s and 80s? If yes they you are clearly wrong because the average pilot experience is only 62. Therefore if some of the pilots are experienced in the 70s and 80s, the unit must also have many pilots whose experience is in the low 40s.

(2) If the alternative meaning you intended is that they have skill ratings in the 70s and 80s, then you would have to specify which skills for they would not have those high ratings in all pilot skills. Or do you seriously expect me to believe that fighter pilots would have transport skills in the 70s and 80s plus naval torpedo skill ratings at those same high levels.

Do not confuse a pilot's experience rating with his various skill ratings. There are many level 70-80 experience pilots who posses an air to air skill rating in the 20s, or even a 20-30 defense skill rating. Use those "experienced" pilots in a sweep and they are almost guaranteed to die in their first sweep.

Even "experienced" pilots can be defeated by less "experienced" pilots, by enemy airplanes which under certain conditions possess better flight characteristics.

Others have given you quite plausible explanations for the outcome. I would particularly draw your attention to the explanation given as to how the Americans could have achieved the "bounce", an explanation which you seem to have not comprehended.

In your various posts, you strike me as one of those players, and there are several in this category, who has a preconceived view of what an outcome should be and if that outcome is not achieved, immediately blame the perceived "wrong" outcome on the engine being at fault. Never does it enter your mind that the fault might lie with you.

Alfred

Rude anyone?

No. Hes just smarter than you.
[:-] Let's not play that game, Jeff. Alfred's last paragraph was jutting precariously into ad hominim waters and not up to his usual excellent standards.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Thanks to all who took the time to respond, both here and in PM`s and Emails, to the initial " neutral" question, with detailed information on how the A2A combat worked in this case, and how the combat reports are generated and interpreted.

The A2A model is very complex, and not always fully understood by those of us who actually play the PBEM game.

Rising questions about "results" are neither indictments of the current AI A2A model or the developers.

I`d like to especially thank my PBEM opponent Marc (Adm. Mitscher) for providing info here on his Fighter groups exp. levels. sadly , he has had to resign the Game due to just received orders for immediate deployment in support of US Army activities overseas.

He is a fine player, good sport and a gentleman.

R.III

You´re welcome, please don´t stop asking questions, you might get contradicting answers on some occasions, if only because the complexity of the
game allows for it, but even then it will result in more insigt how it works, and hint you are approaching the edge of common knowledge.

I am playing the series for very long now and still learn something new every day. When you stop accepting that this happens with a game as huge
as this you start losing battles. [;)]

Sad to hear you had to quit your game with Mitscher, he looked like a great opponent and personality from what I have seen on the forums.
Hopefully you get a good replacement.

Return to “The War Room”