Happy National Peanut Brittle Day

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

parusski

RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: parusski

Robbie Coltrane.
Warspite1

Oh No! potential disaster has befallen the project. Having thought he had a perfect match with Robbie Coltrane, Steven Spielberg advises me that is not the case: One leg - check, six webbed fingers on left hand - check, 4ft 10 - check, weght 350lbs - check. What is the problem I hear you ask? Well Coltrane comes from Lanarkshire in Scotland, but Ambrose was of course a highlander. There is simply no way that Coltrane, great actor though he is, can carry off the accent of a resident of Inverness. The highly attuned American cinema-going public will simply not buy Coltrane as Ambrose because of this; his Lanarkshire tones will stand out a mile.

Moaned Spielberg "I think the project is off. Getting the accent right is everything - look what happened when Disney got an American to do a cockney accent. Yes, that's right, you end up with Dick van Dyke, playing Bert, the first South African chimney sweep in Edwardian London - Disaster".

Spielberg continues "The speech of the middle classes in Scotland tends to conform to the grammatical norms of the written standard, particularly in situations that are regarded as formal. Highland English is slightly different from the variety spoken in the Lowlands in that it is more phonologically, grammatically, and lexically influenced by a Gaelic substratum".

Spielberg droned on "Scottish English is a rhotic accent, meaning /r/ is pronounced in the syllable coda. As with Received Pronunciation, /r/ may be an alveolar approximant [&#633;], although it is also common that a speaker will use an alveolar tap [&#638;]. Less common is use of the alveolar trill [r] (hereafter, <r> will be used to denote any rhotic consonant)".

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....

I knew I could depend on you to get the real story. As for that "highly attuned" American cinema going publi..."

Spielberg sure did drone one, so much so that I would suspect you were nearly ready to launch a drone at him.[:D] But at least after reading that tale I now know Spielberg is a TOOL.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

So there you have it - no idea what the man is talking about, but it sounds serious.....
It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.
Government is the opiate of the masses.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

It's hard to believe that no one has touched on the single greatest controversy surrounding peanut-brittle, that being whether its salted or unsalted.

Oh dear me. I have failed.

warspite1 is reading Ambrose's last book which did address this issue.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

I am three quarters of the way through and so far not one solitary mention. I am feeling slightly miffed. The back of the book states:

In this, Ambroses' final book on Peanut Brittle, he lifts the lid on the question of whether Peanut Brittle is salted or unsalted.

Harumph....[&:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite1

I am three quarters of the way through and so far not one solitary mention. I am feeling slightly miffed. The back of the book states:

In this, Ambroses' final book on Peanut Brittle, he lifts the lid on the question of whether Peanut Brittle is salted or unsalted.

There was a rumour that this book was actually ghost-written, but the author has not been identified. I can't believe Ambrose would do such a thing, all his books are page turners.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

There was a rumour that this book was actually ghost-written, but the author has not been identified. I can't believe Ambrose would do such a thing, all his books are page turners.
Warspite1

Well I agree except most of this book so far is just a re-hash from his 437 previous books on the subject. I suspect that it was not ghost written but that by the time of his last book, Ambrose was a shell of the man he once was. Remember this was written just thirty-six hours before he set sail in the Saucy Nymphe for the last time....[:(]

parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite1

Warspite1

Well I agree except most of this book so far is just a re-hash from his 437 previous books on the subject. I suspect that it was not ghost written but that by the time of his last book, Ambrose was a shell of the man he once was. Remember this was written just thirty-six hours before he set sail in the Saucy Nymphe for the last time....[:(]

Sounds plausible. How much time do you think he spent writing this book???
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Warspite1

This was one of his longer-researched efforts. Let me see now, he left his Inverness home at 06:30 in the morning. Flora drove them to the port, so he had three hours to research and write the book on his laptop. He posted it to his publishers at 09:30 that day and it was in print and had become a best-seller just as the Saucy Nymphe was disappearing below the waves a day and a half later.

parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite1

Warspite1

This was one of his longer-researched efforts. Let me see now, he left his Inverness home at 06:30 in the morning. Flora drove them to the port, so he had three hours to research and write the book on his laptop. He posted it to his publishers at 09:30 that day and it was in print and had become a best-seller just as the Saucy Nymphe was disappearing below the waves a day and a half later.

Hence is apparent failure to include an answer to the original question-salted or unsalted. I wonder if you could create a book about BPB or just PB period from this thread.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

Hence is apparent failure to include an answer to the original question-salted or unsalted. I wonder if you could create a book about BPB or just PB period from this thread.
Warspite1

Maybe, but is there anything new we have uncovered that can add to Ambroses' work? Of that I am not sure.

parusski

Post by parusski »

Well, we can use our imaginations.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite

NEVER! I only deal in fact Steiner - not tittle tattle and supposition like some old fish wife. What I put to print is true and from impeccable sources*.

* Usually

parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite

NEVER! I only deal in fact Steiner - not tittle tattle and supposition like some old fish wife. What I put to print is true and from impeccable sources*.

* Usually

I see you had one nerve left and someone posing as me posted that heresy and stepped on that nerve.

Mostly
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite

* Usually

I see you had one nerve left and someone posing as me posted that heresy and stepped on that nerve.

Mostly
Warspite1

Trouble is, once people start believing you are not a serious writer then you are finished. The last thing we need is people thinking this Peanut Brittle thing is all made up.

parusski

Post by parusski »

Warspite

* Usually

Mostly
Warspite1

Trouble is, once people start believing you are not a serious writer then you are finished. The last thing we need is people thinking this Peanut Brittle thing is all made up.

Yes indeed. I have punished the child who made that horrible post. "Never, never, never make anything up about PB, Winston Churchill", 1941.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

You know, I've been thinking.

Many people in history have been shown to have made stupid individual decisions, or indeed have a whole career worth of crass behaviour behind them. A great number of these have been shown to have been under the influence of BPB - Dick Van Dyke for example - when he thought he could do a cockney accent or indeed James Coburn trying dismally to play an Aussie in The Great Escape.

But how many of life's great blunderers could not blame "the brittle" (As we in the Hood, call it) but were in fact just complete and utter, 24-carat ********?

Orm

Post by Orm »

The opening phrase "Salted, or not salted, that is the question" from the play "Peanuts" proves that William Shakespeare was greatly concerned with this controversial issue.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Orm

The opening phrase "Salted, or not salted, that is the question" from the play "Peanuts" proves that William Shakespeare was greatly concerned with this controversial issue.

Yes Shakespeare was greatly concerned about this. He passed a petition around Uttoxeter to require local council to provide free Peanut Brittle to all citizens. But Uttoxeter had two powerful Peanut Brittle importers, John and Peter, who controlled the local PB market and Shakespeare's drive failed.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

STOP PRESS! This is surely a world exclusive??!!?!?!

So Orm let's be clear: are you saying you have evidence that the Bard himself, the great William Shakespeare, actually wrote Peanuts? You mean it was he that created Snoopy, Linus, Charlie Brown (one of my personal heroes along with Eyeore) Peppermint Patty et al and not Schulz?

Wow that really is mega and knocks Ambrose into a cocked-hat (whatever that is). Tell me more - this is BIG!

Orm

Post by Orm »

Warspite1

STOP PRESS! This is surely a world exclusive??!!?!?!

So Orm let's be clear: are you saying you have evidence that the Bard himself, the great William Shakespeare, actually wrote Peanuts? You mean it was he that created Snoopy, Linus, Charlie Brown (one of my personal heroes along with Eyeore) Peppermint Patty et al and not Schulz?

Wow that really is mega and knocks Ambrose into a cocked-hat (whatever that is). Tell me more - this is BIG!
No, no. Although William Shakespeare wrote peanuts all the other works you mention were in fact written by Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford.

Edit: Eyeore? [&:]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”