Closed...Thank you!

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AW1Steve

Closed...Thank you!

Post by AW1Steve »

I tried to stay with short scenarios, but I just can't do it. I need to have at least 1 campaign game in my life. Unfortuately I come with "baggage". [:D]
Here's the deal.....

1) I've never been able to master (or even figure out) "Factory Manager in the Pacific".So I can't play Japan. Sorry. I'd Love to. Tried it. Can't do it.

2) in the future, somewhere between 5 and 9 months from now , I will need to move. While I have a laptop, and have played on the road...well, you never know. I might run into difficulty with getting hooked up with the internet.I'd keep my opponent advised, but it could mean a temporary suspension in the game , up to a month (not likely, but I belive in FULL disclosure).

3) I'm not crazy about overdoing house rules. I'll accept any rules that can be justified , but unless someone like The Elf, any of the Developers , or any long term player who I look up to (I'm hesitant to use the word again , but players that I consider to be "Grandmasters") , I won't outright refuse the HR, but I'll give it an extremely hairy eyeball.

I'm a relatively experinced player (meaning I've had my head handed to me to many times to count) , but I consider myself reliable (references available) player. I can usually get a couple of turns a day out on weekdays , but usually only one a day on weekends.

Please feel free to email me (My log on name at Yahoo.com) . I'd love to hear from most players , especially more experinced players who want to continue my history of defeats (and might teach me something ). [:D]
Mike Solli

RE: Tried but I couldn't do it!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I'm not crazy...

Yes you are. [:'(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I'm not crazy...

Yes you are. [:'(]

OK. Guilty as charged! [:D] So are you in the mood for a little game , Oh grandmaster and God of all things Japanese production? Would the Mighty Major be willing to teach the former non-com a lesson that he'll never forget? [:D][&:]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Sorry Steve. I once made the mistake of trying to play two games at once. That just doesn't work for me. I couldn't keep them separated and got confused more than normal. [:D] Just one at a time for me. I hope you do a AAR though.

I use to be a non-com, back when I worked for a living. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Sorry Steve. I once made the mistake of trying to play two games at once. That just doesn't work for me. I couldn't keep them separated and got confused more than normal. [:D] Just one at a time for me. I hope you do a AAR though.

I use to be a non-com, back when I worked for a living. [:D]

I understand completely. Please keep me in mind for the future? [:)]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, I definitely will. We'll probably both be retired at that point. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

It's interesting. It seems like JFB's dominate the posts , yet when you try to find one they are quite rare. Which makes me wonder? Are there less of them , but they are much noiser than AFB's? Or is it me? [&:][:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Which answer will make you less depressed?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Which answer will make you less depressed?
The honest one![:D]

My ego can take it! I've been trounced by the best! Come to think of it, I've also been trounced by the worst! [:(][:D]
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

It's interesting. It seems like JFB's dominate the posts , yet when you try to find one they are quite rare. Which makes me wonder? Are there less of them , but they are much noiser than AFB's? Or is it me? [&:][:D]

I highlighted the correct answer.[:)]

Alfred
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I highlighted the correct answer.[:)]

Alfred

Thanks Alfred. [&o] But actually , I belive both to be true. Yes , I generally get creamed , but that's usually because I always try to take on better players than I am. That's the only way to improve. (As the line from the song goes, "You learn more from your accidents then anything you'll learn in school"). But I suspect that I'm running out of JFB's willing to play the role of Sensi. [8|]

At the same point , JFB's DO represent the best players , as they are both fighting the war AND playing "Factory Manager in the Pacific". And if they are noiser about the game (and I do belive they are) , it's their passion speaking.[&o]

So by very defination , JFB's are generally more experinced players as they have the Warfighting under control and are trying to get a handle on production. That being the case, I'm not surprised that there is a shortage.[8D]

None of which helps me get a handle on the game , so that I might aspire to move up to becoming a JFB (in the grand campaign) level player myself.

So how about it? Any of you advanced players feel like helping an advanced beginer move up into the ranks of intermediate players? [&:][:D]

EUBanana

Post by EUBanana »

I think Japan is so much harder because you have to hit the ground running, and if you mess it up its all over. The first turn is a killer...

As the Allies the slow build up means you can shift into an offensive mindset slowly, over many months, and by the time you're having to really push forward you know what you are doing and where everything on the board is. The Japanese have to be intimately familiar with all this stuff from day 1, and really know Japan's capabilities in the first 12 months at least - what reinforcements arrive and when, what Allied reinforcements arrive and when too ideally - like the back of their hand.

I have played Japan a bit but it's overwhelming. [:D]
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

I am not advanced, but am working towards that with every turn.

I am currently fully booked and not keeping up with a turn a day with my two games with Japan due to family commitments (Boy Scouts), but am getting a turn an a half done a day with three games, two that really need to be daily. The third is a partner game that gets 2-3 turns a week and I can keep up with that, especially with only 1/3 of the allied side to play.

My longest game is into October of 1943. My other one is halfway through January 1942. This helps me keep them separate. My biggest problem with the allied game is trying to click on the red stuff instead of the allied stuff! [X(]

As for making more noise, I try to keep my legume consumption at a reasonable level. [;)]

Once I am done with any of these games, I will keep you in mind.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Thanks guys! [:)]

And to the rest of you , I'm still looking! [:D]
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

And I'll give you the same option that I gave another long time Allied player who showed interest. If you want me to set it up, manage (once in a while) and generally teach you the economic side I'm willing. I also put out a rather detailed Setup 101 guide.

I know it isn't for everyone, but it's honestly more rewarding to manage your logistics / economics. I'm playing as an Allied player in Downfall at present and it really is a little boring logistically. Point in case of loading up multi-100AK's Tf's with supply and taking them to Manila and then using this sledgehammer of resources with little thought or husbanding of resources involved is just amusing.

Anyway, I'm on a few weeks holiday right now and available to be your economics minister.
Nanshin ron

Post by Nanshin ron »

Im not that experienced and im still making plans for my first PBEM game, within a month or so im ready to start if you are still looking. [:D]

perkinh

Post by perkinh »

I think you have run into the problem of confidence. Those that think they can give you a good game are booked. Some think they could give you a game, but are scared of your reputation and dont want to be embarrassed in a AAR. Then you have those that really believe they could give you a run, but figure since they dont post much you won't even consider them. I wish you luck, i would like to see your AAR.
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

And I'll give you the same option that I gave another long time Allied player who showed interest. If you want me to set it up, manage (once in a while) and generally teach you the economic side I'm willing. I also put out a rather detailed Setup 101 guide.

I know it isn't for everyone, but it's honestly more rewarding to manage your logistics / economics. I'm playing as an Allied player in Downfall at present and it really is a little boring logistically. Point in case of loading up multi-100AK's Tf's with supply and taking them to Manila and then using this sledgehammer of resources with little thought or husbanding of resources involved is just amusing.

Anyway, I'm on a few weeks holiday right now and available to be your economics minister.

WOW! That is really , really generous of you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I've read your guide. It's VERY helpful. I committed to a game , but may I PM you occassionally for advice and mentoring? [:)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Gabede

I think you have run into the problem of confidence. Those that think they can give you a good game are booked. Some think they could give you a game, but are scared of your reputation and dont want to be embarrassed in a AAR. Then you have those that really believe they could give you a run, but figure since they dont post much you won't even consider them. I wish you luck, i would like to see your AAR.

Are you talking about me? [&:] Reputation? The only reputation I have is for getting creamed. [:(] I belive I have a game going and will consider a AAR. I don't tend to do well at those though. But I'll try.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

WOW! That is really , really generous of you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I've read your guide. It's VERY helpful. I committed to a game , but may I PM you occassionally for advice and mentoring? [:)]
Of course Steve. Get things on track pretty quickly, this will help alleviate problems down the line.

Cheers

Return to “Opponents Wanted”