Fear, hypocracy, and wargames.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

HintJ

Fear, hypocracy, and wargames.

Post by HintJ »

I usually go to bed pretty early, and I often sleep for five hours and wake up, then I try to fall back asleep for a couple of more hours before I get out of bed. Last night was typical, except that after I awoke after my first five hours of sleep or so, I was laying in bed having difficulty falling back asleep, and then I heard a very load noise coming from my basement, as if a pile of stuff had been knocked over. I was not half-awake, the noise I heard was very distinct and quite loud.

Someone had knocked something over by accident in my basement! I was convinced it must be a thief!

I needed to investigate, but I wasn't about to go down to my basement and face a thief bare-handed, so I needed a weapon. I used to keep a rifle in my house, and I wished I still had it, but a cumbersome 30-30 lever-action rifle isn't exactly a good home defense weapon. Still, I wished that I had it.

I went and grabbed a kitchen knife. I opened to door to the stairway down to the basement and clicked the light on.

Looking down the stairway, I got this strange sensation. Long ago I used to feel this way whenever I drove delivery trucks into ghetto Philadelphia or Hunts Point in Bronx. Yeah, like I was entering a very bad situation. Also, since I turned the stairway light on, the thief will be surely hiding, see me first, and do everything he can to stop me. Alternatively, I could just yell down the stairs that "I'm calling the Cops!" and then set up my own ambush at the top of the stairs and hope he runs away empty-handed.

Here's where it gets amusing:

I thought, "What the hell is wrong with me? I play crazy games where I tell my pixel troops to do things ten times scarier and I get upset when they show reluctance!" Wow, what a hypocrite I am! No, I'm not calling the Cops first, I'm going into that basement and stab a man to death if necessary! Seriously.

Well, I went down there and apparently the thief was long gone. I searched the basement in great detail, being sure to not turn on any more lights! I thought of the game "Oblivion" when I was looking for him and fearing a surprise zombie attack--I was genuinely afraid.

Apparently, quickly after he made his loud noise he ran away, but I didn't know that at the time. My side basement door was not completely closed, and the lock was half-turned. I know a similar trick to break in though that door when I lock myself out/

I don't know what my point is here, but I would never ask an employee or subordinant to do anything I'm not willing to do. I guess I feel a little guilt playing some of these crazy wargames...

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
sabre1

RE: Fear, hypocracy, and wargames.

Post by sabre1 »

Should have a firearm, train with it, nuff said.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

12 gauge shotgun with a pump is your best weapon for home defense. Nothing strikes fear into a criminal like the sound of a round being chambered by a pissed off home owner.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Taint much better for home defense than the initial arming of a 570 moss tactical as 2ndACR finely pointed out. Only good for 1 thing but does it very well especially for the sleepy eyed homeowner. The '45 as the final equalizer. Glad it never came to a confrontation for you.

Being a well armed citizen it is my absolute hope to never draw a weapon on anyone. I am trained ready and never want to become willing.

mo reb

keep it simple stupid
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

Thanks for the advice,

I'm thinking a cheap semi-auto 22LR rifle with the barrel cut off. I mean, if I had a rifle that still had the buttstock, with a half-length barrel and a plastic 40 round magazine, that would function like a submachinegun--I can pull the trigger pretty quickly.

Maybe a 410 shotgun?
"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower
HintJ

Post by HintJ »

Having read another post AGAINST THE 22LR, I will be purchasing a 12 gauge. I will also be purchasing a .45 handgun. I have too many meth addicts around here, and I don't think anything less than a .45 or 12 gauge will stop those assholes!
- Savielly Tartakower
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Smith & Wesson 500.....
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Smith & Wesson 500.....

Maybe if he is being intruded by a Polar Bear. :) Too wieldy(sic).

That 570 posted above is only $350 and can find them for a bit cheaper too. For what it is it doesnt have to be special. My advice to you if you aren't proficient with a handgun would be to pick up a cheap 22 or 9mm because practice is what you'll need and 45 shells will break the bank just pinging them. Once comfortable, sell the thing and get you more of a showstopper. I prefer 1911 45's myself but there is nothing quite as reliable as a revolver either. Point pull trigger.

BTW, have that door fixed, like yesterday. If some thief thinks they can get in easily they may just wait till you leave if they're casing your joint. Lets just hope they were dumb kids looking for a quick buck and not the worst of those that roam this planet. Fix that door.

mo reb
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

How about no gun makes all people safe, I'd to scared to go back in to my house if I left wallet home after dark over your way.It appears to be the old adage, always bring a knife to a fist fight etc etc  nuff said
Formerly Goodwood

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: BASB

How about no gun makes all people safe

Famous last words of a victim. How bout we get that word out to the criminals.

This mans house was broken into while he was home! I am a loving and caring man for my fellow humans, but I will protect my family against those who gun laws and private property mean nothing. Other people can use inefficient methods such as mace and whistles to defend their families or hope and wait for the police to show up. That is not of my concern. BTW, if you think there is no gun safety at my house you would be wrong.

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Damn, I envy you Americans all these guns.
ORIGINAL: HintJ

Looking down the stairway, I got this strange sensation. Long ago I used to feel this way whenever I drove delivery trucks into ghetto Philadelphia or Hunts Point in Bronx. Yeah, like I was entering a very bad situation. Also, since I turned the stairway light on, the thief will be surely hiding, see me first, and do everything he can to stop me. Alternatively, I could just yell down the stairs that "I'm calling the Cops!" and then set up my own ambush at the top of the stairs and hope he runs away empty-handed.

Here's where it gets amusing:

I thought, "What the hell is wrong with me? I play crazy games where I tell my pixel troops to do things ten times scarier and I get upset when they show reluctance!" Wow, what a hypocrite I am! No, I'm not calling the Cops first, I'm going into that basement and stab a man to death if necessary! Seriously.

Well, I went down there and apparently the thief was long gone. I searched the basement in great detail, being sure to not turn on any more lights! I thought of the game "Oblivion" when I was looking for him and fearing a surprise zombie attack--I was genuinely afraid.
So, let's get it straight... You decided to go down and kill the guy/expose yourself to an ambush where you may get killed or maimed because you felt guilty about not being willing to do what you do in a computer game?
ORIGINAL: HintJ

I don't know what my point is here, but I would never ask an employee or subordinant to do anything I'm not willing to do. I guess I feel a little guilt playing some of these crazy wargames...
There are no other humans involved in computer games unless you're playing online and even then there's no real risk of life.
Though, of course the casualties and attitude towards them is important for realism. But that's aesthetics, not morals.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Stick to real war games and leave those fantasy games alone. [;)]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Average time for police to respond once the burglar alarm goes off is 23 minutes. That is the AVERAGE.

Remember survival is attitude. A scumbag in your home has made his intentions known. Now it's your turn to show him yours. You now have what we call a target rich environment. Attitude.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

This mans house was broken into while he was home! I am a loving and caring man for my fellow humans, but I will protect my family against those who gun laws and private property mean nothing. Other people can use inefficient methods such as mace and whistles to defend their families or hope and wait for the police to show up. That is not of my concern. BTW, if you think there is no gun safety at my house you would be wrong.

The more guns in our society the greater the risk the wrong person gets shot.
Formerly Goodwood

parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

And let's not forget 18 year old widow Sara McKinley, Oklahoma, who shot a burglar to protect her 3 month old son:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20559188,00.html
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

<starts countdown clock to thread locking>
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

<starts countdown clock to thread locking>

The clock stands at two minutes till midnight.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
PeteG662

Post by PeteG662 »

Peace through superior firepower! [:D]
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I had a similar experience two years ago. However I was armed (357 revolver). The punk fled but was caught about a block away buying cigarettes! This 21 yr.old junkie had 3 knives on him, I shudder to think what he had in mind for my wife and I.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

&nbsp;different cultures different ideas, could go forever on this, Termy is right, I'm out of here.
Formerly Goodwood

Return to “General Discussion”