red tails anyone?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

freeboy

red tails anyone?

Post by freeboy »

I was thinking of seeing it until I read the horrific reveiws.. anyone here already see it?
Thanks guys, looks like its gone from moviee house to dvd rental.. too bad
"Tanks forward"
parusski

RE: red tails anyone?

Post by parusski »

red tails

It looks interesting, but I doubt I will see it in theater. Most likely I will add Red Tails to my Netlfix que.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Not a chance. It looks absolutely dreadful.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Looks like a video game.....with real actors thrown in....Could be a renter.[:)]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Looks like a video game.....with real actors thrown in....Could be a renter.[:)]

Well, I like video games, but it's just a rental.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I don't know what it is with CGI aircraft but it may have started with the latest Pearl Harbor movie. They try to put too much in a scene. In the old days of models they had to space things out so the wires wouldn't tangle. Now from bottom to top from side to side they stick an entire air wing in a movie frame.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Between the cheesy dialogue, cartoonish CGI and the cliches, I don't really want to. But I'll probably bring my 12 yr old son to it, since that's the target audience according to JarJar Lucas. But I'll be holding my nose while doing it. 

It can't be any worse than the dreadful "Pearl Harbor", can it?
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

well, there is hope that holywild can do better..

"Tanks forward"
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I saw a couple of trailers and thought it looked like the same old "insert CGI here to keep generic crowd wowing, clapping and happy"...the CGI whilst looking good, actually looked very bad.

I dread to think what they are doing with The Dambusters remake...I really do. I guess it will feature a B-17 (which is a BEAUTIFUL aircraft) shooting dam-busting lasers out the front turret - that's what I think of Hollywood and it's war movies at present.

On a side note, the clapping at the end of The War Horse at my local Odeon was a surprise and the first time I had seen this action in some time. It was a good movie - but the book was much better because it lent itself to being told through the horses eyes.
Alba gu' brath
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

I'd like to see a biopic about "Pappy Boyington" from the time he was with the AVG in China to the Solomon Islands and the "Black Sheep Squadron" to being shot down and picked up by a japanese sub to his incarceration in a Japanese prison camp.

"Gabby" Gabreski's story might make a good film too. From flying a Spitfire to his 28 confirmed kills flying P-47's. Then when he was supposed to return to the US he flew just one more mission and was shot down. He spent the rest of the war in a prisoner of war camp. But that ain't all. He went on to fly F-86's in the Korean War and got 6 1/2 kills!

Or how about Richard Bong who shot down 40 aircraft in the Pacific with his P-38 only to be accidentally killed test flying a P-80A "Shooting Star" jet.

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

well, I saw the movie, its bad where it should be good and suprisingly better than expected where I had no hope for a movie of quality..
The enemy storyline and a2a scenes are silly.. at least in 12 oclock they used actual footage spliced into the film...
the love story , and actually the story of the pilot who is the aggressive one is standard hollywild fair, the film fails on so many levels though past the fantasy a2a scenes. The critical reviews that stated a great story that deserved a better movie had it dead on.. my thoughts, save your money and see on dvd
"Tanks forward"
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

did no one else even see this?
wow..
again not a great movie, but I have seen much worse.. the fantasy flying not withstanding the acting was better than your average made for tv movie
"Tanks forward"
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Your one of the reasons I didn't see it.[:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I'm hoping there will be a Mr. Plinkett review (redlettermedia.com), since he sure does love to eviscerate George Lucas.

If you don't know the Plinkett "Star Wars" reviews, and think there's a chance you might care, then find yourself 1.5 hours and start watching here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

More entertaining than the original movie.

EDIT: "Original movie" refers to "Phantom Menace."
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

I have only two words to describe this movie: Steaming Pile!

The dialogue is sub-par...at best. It is also full of cliches and stereotypes, as well as 21st century slang that no WW II fighter pilot would have used. The CGI is horrid. I think that "The Flying Leathernecks" had better battle scenes than ILM was able to put together for this soon to be forgotten garbage. And the sound seems as though it was recycled from the last Star Wars movie. I'm sorry but P-40's shouldn't sound like Tie fighters when they zoom by. And let's not forget the awful musical score that not only seems out of place, but also sounds as though it was sampled from a cheese filled console video game.

My advice: tell someone at Lucas Film Ltd. to sharpen their pencil, get back to the drawing board, and crank out a movie made for adults - that and don't waste your hard earned money on this turd.

-MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: michael1776

The dialogue is sub-par...at best. It is also full of cliches and stereotypes, as well as 21st century slang that no WW II fighter pilot would have used. The CGI is horrid. I think that "The Flying Leathernecks" had better battle scenes than ILM was able to put together for this soon to be forgotten garbage. And the sound seems as though it was recycled from the last Star Wars movie. I'm sorry but P-40's shouldn't sound like Tie fighters when they zoom by. And let's not forget the awful musical score that not only seems out of place, but also sounds as though it was sampled from a cheese filled console video game.

My advice: tell someone at Lucas Film Ltd. to sharpen their pencil, get back to the drawing board, and crank out a movie made for adults - that and don't waste your hard earned money on this turd.

-MJ

My 22 year old son talked me into seeing this "movie" and I agree it was a "Steaming Pile".
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: michael1776

-MJ

Yep, that pretty well nails it in a nutshell. I took my 12 yr old son to it this weekend. He thought it was great. I thought it ludicrously bad. The main German bad guy sounded like General Grievous, and the P-40's did sound like Tie Fighters!

I kept thinking to myself during the film "This is the best they could do with a $58 million budget?"
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

You know most of the people in the audience that I was in were more than happy with the movie. In fact, just about everyone was clapping at the end. So is it a case of we are asking for too much; and Hollywood can't deliver. Or is it that Hollywood is producing movies for the dumb-down audience that we have become. My feeling is that the latter is true. We are a nation that ignores history, and historically relevant themes. Most kids today don't know what happened at Pearl Harbor, or have any clue about what the Tuskegee Airmen actually did. So putting up a mediocre showing that isn't at all historical is okay, because most people won't know anyhow. That's a sad indictment of the American education system.

The sad thing is that Lucas had a golden opportunity to tell the story of a few very brave men, who not only fought for their country, but also fought for racial equality. I'm sad to say that he blew his chance with this one, by turning it into a cartoonish farce. As much as I hate to sound like a grumpy old man (You kids get off my lawn!!!) I will think twice before I go to watch any movie that he is tied to ever again.

-MJ
Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

I'm hoping there will be a Mr. Plinkett review (redlettermedia.com), since he sure does love to eviscerate George Lucas.

If you don't know the Plinkett "Star Wars" reviews, and think there's a chance you might care, then find yourself 1.5 hours and start watching here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

More entertaining than the original movie.

EDIT: "Original movie" refers to "Phantom Menace."

Turns out that they did do a review: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-red-tails/

Not nearly as funny as their carefully crafted attacks on "Star Wars" I-III (see above), but rather a very lucid dissection of the movie. Of course, most of you won't want to spend nearly 30 min. watching this review, but if you're bored enough AND saw the movie, you can find worse ways to spend your time.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I love their reviews[:D].

Return to “General Discussion”